The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• Very happy for Moyes as our season as West Ham fans aside he has restored his reputation somewhat after the disappointments experienced since leaving Everton. I imagine Nolan is learning a great deal under him and will one day kick start his own managerial career again.
  • You don't get hand picked as Sir Alex Fergusons successor by the man himself if there wasn't something about you

There was reasons why his term at United didn't work....but he was one of the best managers around

Love everything he's done at us, he's turned us into a squad where everyone works for one another, everyone knows what they are supposed to do and everyone is fighting to keep their place
  • He imo was let down by United and Ferguson but didn’t help himself bringing in Fellini who was never a United fit
  • But it was a 'poor' United team and they did need someone like Fellini. Fergie won the Premiere with probably the worst United team for quite a while. It's not as though Moyes inherited Law, Best and Charlton.
  • I don’t know of any manager except moyes who would have signed Fellani and it was a poor side he inherited and maybe the rebuild was to much of a job for him
  • Moyes also topped their CL group and got them to the q/f. That should serve us well for next season.
  • My Sunderland supporting family were merciless towards me when we first went for him and I admit that they were an influence on me, however, maybe what has transpired in the meantime is more of a pointer as to what a mess Sunderland were in as a club

COYI
  • Interesting to see Nolan is conferring more with Moyes now... I think they 're developing into a team. Can only be good.
  • Interesting to see Nolan is conferring more with Moyes now... I think they 're developing into a team. Can only be good.

I agree, this is one of the big positives Moyes has bought in with the quality of back-room staff, when you think Stuart Pearce has also managed at Premier League level. Our current strength is down to the coaching and playing staff being fully aligned and in tune with each other.

This was also commented on positively by Alan Shearer on MOTD:
    “They’re a very good team now West Ham and hard to beat. What David Moyes has done is he’s got players out of the football club who he felt weren’t right for that club for whatever reason. And he’s got players in who care and his signings and they can play and they can go and score goals.”

I was thinking the other day, is Moyes aiming to become West Ham's Director of Football, with Nolan (or Pearce, or Irvine) taking over as Manager under an assumed new regime in a few years time?
  • If Moyes (or anyone else) became DoF, the position underneath would be Head Coach, not manager?
  • edited February 2021
    Obviously like everyone else I’m absolutely delighted with what Moyes is doing. The whole of West Ham support on social media is quite rightly singing his praises.
    Just wait until we hit a bad patch......
    The knives will be out.
    Unfortunately that’s the modern fan these days.
  • Slacker :+1:

I was thinking about this over the weekend. If we do get into Europe for next season, the chances are that it would have an adverse impact on our league form. I hope that the club and the fans would be prepared for that possibility, because I certainly feel like a European campaign would have to knock down some of the expectations for league performance.
  • edited February 2021
    I think what Moyes alludes to, is that a bad season should not be ‘we need to hit the reset button’, which is something 21st century football encourages & is the norm.

Say we were to be in the bottom 5 at Xmas next season, normally that would see your manager under pressure, regardless of any previous good work done. What Moyes would say is when that inevitably happens, you have to stay by him & let him get us out of it & be patient. The following season, you would hope to return to better days. We may end up finishing 14th, a disappointment compared to this season, but perhaps inevitable over the period of a few years that there will be underperforming seasons & overperforming seasons. The aim would be for us to, out of 10 seasons, be in the top 10 for maybe over 50% of them & possibly be pushing European places in 3 of those 5 top 10 finishes.

I think Moyes would accept that any serious risk of relegation (or relegation itself) is likely to see him lose his job.
  • I make you right Lukerz but you’re stating that from a realistic supporter’s standpoint. Unfortunately there aren’t that many around these days.

• I just knocked up these slides showing Moyes' Everton Record (league only). The grey box is what would be considered statistically "normal" range for performance, while the blue lines show what actually happened. Basically what it tells you is that there were some real ups and downs through his reign. It's widely accepted that that was the benchmark for how to build a midtable club up, but when you look into it, it isn't as simple as getting better and better every year, it's a case of getting better as a club each year. Patience in football is a virtue.
  • It’s not always cut and dried though

Bournemouth were patience personified and eventually ended up getting relegated anyway

Leicester pretty quickly parted with Ranieri and didn’t stick with Shakespeare or puel for a huge amount of time either. Yet I would argue they continue to progress.
  • Leicester are an example of a club that has a long term plan they sell their best players at over the odds when it suits them and then reinvest the money wisely back into the club. I would like us to see us do something similar so if we do sell Rice we get a massive fee then invest it in a replacement and strangthening the squad . We have had too many short term fixes it would be nice a long term plan for once( and not champions league in 7 years promises)
  • It’s not always cut and dried though

Bournemouth were patience personified and eventually ended up getting relegated anyway

Leicester pretty quickly parted with Ranieri and didn’t stick with Shakespeare or puel for a huge amount of time either. Yet I would argue they continue to progress.

You are right, and I do agree. I guess the point is that if you believe someone is right for the club in the long haul it won't always be rosey. When you look back through our own history, our legendary managers had good and bad spells. I just hope that , if our season isn't as good next year , we don't all lose faith in what he's doing straight away.
  • I reckon what has helped this year is that there have been no fans. The atmosphere could be pretty toxic at times and the fact that nobody has been there to get on their backs has helped imho. They know if they didn't play well and they are professional enough to sort it out.
    If results drop next season and the stadium is full I fully expect a pretty bad atmosphere pretty soonish.
  • Moyes is the opposite of a fashionable social media manager. Just like the signings of Dawson and Lingard. As others have said, those less wise and with little real knowledge of football will have the daggers out soon enough.
  • Interesting that Moyes says he has an automatic extension in his contract - which he can choose to activate - if we finish higher than 13th.
  • edited February 2021
    Looking back at all our results, I find it amazing that our worst run of form this season was around Xmas where we went four games without a win, but even in that run we drew three of them. What a great season.
  • Forget Declan, I'm starting to worry that bigger clubs might try to poach Moyes
  • I wouldn’t worry to much
  • If we get into the Champions League then I'm happy to announce that we're highly unlikely to meet Astra Giurgiu who are currently 10th and only the Romanian champions qualify

If we get into the Europa League then Astra Giurgiu are into the QF of the Romanian Cup

It couldn't happen again, could it?
  • You really are asking for a #fishslap, aren't you?
  • There’s a time and plaice for fish puns
  • Fun fact, in his second spell, Moyes has a win % if 44.62% from 65 games. That’s the best of any permanent manager in our history (Billy Bonds has 43.61%)
  • What’s his overall win % with us altogether please
  • Cuzi did say please