The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• He might no the square route of a jam jar, but he couldn’t get the lid off 😂😂
  • Kuching, that seems to me a little selfish - that as long as you personally can understand it, it doesn't matter.
    If I were reading job applications for a position where a good command of English was required, I would probably discard any that had these types of spelling mistake.

Just my opinion, of course.
  • People who know they do not have a good command of English would probably not apply for the position in the first instance if that was stipulated in the vacancy remit
  • Kuching, that seems to me a little selfish - that as long as you personally can understand it, it doesn't matter.
    If I were reading job applications for a position where a good command of English was required, I would probably discard any that had these types of spelling mistake.

Just my opinion, of course.

I think there’s a big difference between a job application and a a football forum.

We have always had a rule on the forum that correcting grammar and spelling isn’t ok.
  • Yes it’s more bettererer to live and let live 😂😂
  • Aah! The Bard of Derby. 😂
  • Big David has been nominated for manager of the month for October (let's hope he doesn't win, because if he does we will 100% lose to Fulham).

He's also changed his mind about allowing 5 subs, after previously voting against it because it suits the bigger clubs more. My first thought on this was that now we've played pretty much all the big clubs once we should definitely change it because it benefits us too :)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54840285
  • Oooh you cynic you. 😂
  • Interested to know if Moyes is winning over any more of those fans who didn’t want him when he returned.

Would we like to see a few years of Moyes, or do people still want rid of him in the near future?
  • let's see what this season brings. he is growing on me but he still need support getting fresh blood in
  • I would like to see him get a full season at least the team is taking shape nicely now ,we are fitter and have a decent formation that works well. The players seem to like him and his signings have been decent so far with just Benrahma to show his stuff but I think he will ease him in like Bowen and the team is in form at the moment its hard for him to get in.
  • Pellers Betis lost 4-0 yesterday
  • Interested to know if Moyes is winning over any more of those fans who didn’t want him when he returned.

Would we like to see a few years of Moyes, or do people still want rid of him in the near future?

It’s too early to say, for me. Around this stage last season is when the wheels came off. If something like that were to happen then some opinions might change. My preference is to give him this season, then if we carry on the way we’ve been going, then I’d give him another couple of years and see what he does with us. He’s been a much better appointment than I expected
  • I always thought it was a mistake to have sacked him the first time round.
    Look how much was wasted by getting Pellegrini, both in players he brought in - Anderson, Haller, Wilshere, Roberto (who probably nearly got us relegated single-handedly) - and in compensation.
  • I find it really amusing when people believe we wasted money on Haller. Roberto & Wilshere then they have a point.
  • edited November 2020
    Point of order, Moyes wasn't sacked, he was only given a contract until the end of the season.

I think a lot of people assumed he'd get a permanent contract if we stayed up but I have read that a deal had been done with Pellegrini before we signed Moyes, another mess created by our incompetent owners. After that I was honestly surprised that Moyes even considered coming back here!

Pellegrini also signed Fabianski, Diop, Balbuena, Yarmolenko and Fornals so not all the money was wasted.
  • edited November 2020
    Fortune, £45m for Haller, we've not exactly had value for money from him have we, although that's not to say we won't.
    If he is indeed sold in January as has been mooted on here, it's highly unlikely we'll recoup what we paid for him.

Aslef, point of order noted.
    Yarmolenko transfer stated as 20m Euros on Transfermarkt, so not much of a return so far.
  • Yarmolenko has had some awful luck with injuries - yet another player who didn't have much of a history until he joined us - so he's not had much of a chance.

In two and a half seasons he's only been available for 41 Premier League games and started just 15. Despite not playing much he has scored some pretty crucial goals, usually coming on a substitute to get a draw or a win.
  • Aslef, I agree with you about Yarmolenko. I actually like him and I didn't include him in "money wasted".
  • Bubbles, it has been said by a few on here he has received poor service so we haven't seen the best of him.
  • edited November 2020
    So far, he's wasted money. I think Haller can come good but he's not been worth the money we spent.

The thing about him and service/system is that it should have been glaringly obvious from basic scouting that he needs to play a certain way. There are players who you can say have the attributes that should allow them to fit into different styles, but he's so slow he was never going to be an effective presser or someone who gets in behind a defence. Buying him should've always been - he'll work if we play like the system he's been excelling in, otherwise, there's no point going for him.

Jorderz, I think we still need more time but I'm not keen for him to go. He should get this season and probably next. I'm aware that we could be getting carried away - we were doing well last season until injuries hit us. Moyes has been lucky with injuries so far, especially considering his lack of subs. I like what I'm seeing right now and if he continues having this team that's both solid but able to attack with consistent pressure, then I want to see where he takes us. Until the post-lockdown games, I found it very difficult to see what he was bringing but that's changed now.
  • Haller was signed by Pellegrini was n't he ? I agree Haller would play better in a different system but we a have a system that works well at the moment and changing to accomadate one player would be a mistake IMO
  • Yes, he was and Pellegrini didn't accommodate him either. That's what I mean by they made a mistake in their approach to signing him.

For what it's worth, I don't think we really need to change much to suit him more. It's just about getting players closer to him, rather than changing the system. We do need another plan for when Antonio's not available, until we get another striker.
  • We somehow need to get Benrahma minutes .who i think could help Haller
  • Unfortunately, Antonio is a very unique player and tbf there are very few (if any) that can play the way Antonio does ....at least not in our price range

So I think we need a back up "system", not necessarily a new striker, for when he's missing
  • The closest we had to Antonio was Sakho and Arnautovic. We’ve suited having very physical, mobile strikers yet have so rarely bought any.
  • The Fulham and Sheffield game have shown our problem in that we have dominated and looked far the better team but had great difficulty in front of goal, I cant see how we would have taken the points we have without Antonio against better sides.

I

Benrhama looks to have found the problem we all predicted in that we are all excited about him and realise he has ability but we don't really have a space unless someone gets injured. We needed an attacker not a winger.
  • Pelligrini lost 3 in a row and 2 points of relegation. Betis don’t have the funds to get rid of him, and he’s not thinking of resigning. Some very passive comments from him that reminded me if his time here.
  • Haven’t seen anybody mention this; West Ham in talks with Moyes over a new deal:
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12148688/the-insider-david-moyes-offered-new-west-ham-contract
  • Pelligrini lost 3 in a row and 2 points of relegation. Betis don’t have the funds to get rid of him, and he’s not thinking of resigning. Some very passive comments from him that reminded me if his time here.

Now 3 goals off Europe.