The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• Slav took us into Europe after his first season which I am sure Mr Moyes is more than capable of doing.
  • It’s what came after that worries me
  • Moyes is regularly banging on about this not being a flash in the pan. It needs to be longer term success. I am sure he is as aware as anybody that next season is bigger than this.
  • I think Moyes trying to rebuild a scouting system is the important part here. Bilic's first season success was derailed by a second season where so many signings failed. Even with Payet's meltdown, I doubt we would've struggled so much if we had made better signings. Plenty of them weren't bad on paper but were completely wrong for what we needed.
  • Outcast, I reckon he brought in extra bodies for our Europa League campaign that those "pesky" Romanians derailed twice.
  • We certainly wearnt ready for European football and I don’t think we are now our back up first team isn’t good enough to step up at the moment
  • Cuz, I honestly don't think we can be too choosy about when we next go into a Europen competition, seize the opportunity IF it should become available.
  • The problem was they weren’t right for any competition. Europe would’ve been a reason to get better players.

We need to keep aiming higher and getting better players to keep Rice. We need to have ambition because he does deserve to win things.
  • Cuz, I honestly don't think we can be too choosy about when we next go into a Europen competition, seize the opportunity IF it should become available.

Couldn’t agree more and I know it will take a few windows to have the squad to be ready, it was more of a comment to progress in Europe
  • I don’t know who hacked my account the day I said that Moyes would be a terrible choice, but they’ve made me look a right wombat
  • Wombat you say....... 🤔 🤔 🤔
  • so will Moyes be any good when Jorderz doesn't do a match thread :pleased:
  • so will Moyes be any good when Jorderz doesn't do a match thread :pleased:

Hopefully we won’t ever find out
  • Article in today's Telegraph by Sam Wallace saying Moyes has made team in the image of old Everton with shrewd signings and meticulous planning turning us into formidable opponents. Also mentions that his last transfer deal at Everton was to buy John Stones from Barnsley for 3 million (who went to City 3 years later for 47.5 million)
  • That Stones deal looks like a forerunner of Soucek.
  • edited January 2021
    So we can expect to sell Soucek on for £320m =)
    Shhh, don't tell Sully.
  • Moyes' classic Everton team is really similar to what he's built with us so far.

GK: Tim Howard / Lukasz Fabianski - Classic keeper, shot stopper, good with his hands, not with his feet
    DR: Phil Neville / Vladimir Coufal - Hard working, not rapid, better defensively than going forward
    DC: Phil Jagielka / Craig Dawson - Right footed, kick it, head it, sort of defender
    DC: Joleon Lescott / Angelo Ogbonna - Left footed, better on the ball than the other one, but still a no-nonsense type
    DL: Leighton Baines / Aaron Cresswell - Not quick, brilliant passer, wand of a left foot, set piece wizard
    WM: Mikel Arteta / Pablo Fornals - play on opposite sides, but both come infield, and are good on the ball, and extremely hard working
    MC: Leon Osman / Declan Rice - Academy graduate, hard worker, good on the ball, but different types of players
    MC: Marouane Fellaini / Tomas Soucek - great in the air, hard working, allegedly a defensive midfielder, but also a goalscorer?! Big difference is ours isn't horrible
    WM: Stephen Pienaar / Jarrod Bowen - creative, good on the ball, comes inside to create and is a goal threat
    AM: Tim Cahill / Said Benrahma - different types of player, but dangerous attacking midfielders
    ST: Aiyegbeni Yakubu / Michail Antonio - both absolute units, but one was a poacher and one is a hard working pressing forward
  • Comparing fellaini to Soucek?

Hmmm...

Best not show that post to your girlfriend... 😂😂
  • edited January 2021
    Fellaini was all elbows, Soucek immaculately floats in.

I propose we hand over Alderz’s account to his girlfriend
  • I'm not showing her this page.

Also, there are undeniable similarities between the two. One is horrible and one is lovely, but they have really similar attributes, and I won't hear otherwise.
  • edited January 2021
    Soucek is his own man. Pundits put it around because of his frame and role in the team and the Moyes connection but I like to feel he is a better all round player
  • I think he is a better player too, but he is a central midfielder who scores goals, primarily in the air, is defensively solid and has great physical attributes. He's a better passer worker and person that Fellaini, but that doesn't mean they don't have similar skills too.
  • alderz said:

I'm not showing her this page.

but they have really similar attributes, and I won't hear otherwise.

It’s someone closer to home to have to convince, not us 😂😂
  • alderz said:

I'm not showing her this page.

Also, there are undeniable similarities between the two. One is horrible and one is lovely, but they have really similar attributes, and I won't hear otherwise.

You're talking about your girlfriend and who?
  • I propose we hand over Alderz’s account to his girlfriend

Or maybe Alderz should offer his hand to his girlfriend by way of proposal?
  • I need to admit defeat here.

This account belongs to her now, and here at AlderzTowerz we believe that Soucek and Fellaini are chalk and cheese in every conceivable way.
  • Soucek wins it hands down, for a start he doesn't have a silly haircut. =)
  • Couple of things:

1. There is a really interesting article about Moyes on the BBC today: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55974154

2. I changed the name of this thread because I think Moyes should have his own thread without Pellegrini's name in the title.
  • Good spot alderz, nice to see. Positive article about us on the BBC. I particularly liked the quote from Moyes on transfer policy:
    "The money was there and we tried but I don't think signing overpaid, overpriced players is the right way to go," said Moyes recently.“.
    We have been guilty of this for far too long, whilst we all wanted to strengthen the squad over the last window, I am pleased we didn’t just add bodies for the sake of it. Something we have done all too frequently in the past. Poorly thought out acquisitions will only create a poor atmosphere in the dressing room.

Pleased with Moyes and hoping he stays with us for several more years to build a strong West Ham.
  • "Poorly thought out acquisitions will only create a poor atmosphere in the dressing room."

This.