The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• I read yesterday that Moyes took a 30% pay cut during the pandemic to help with staff wages and avoid redundancies. He’s also a Labour Party supporter.
    Whaddaguy.
  • I also read at the time he was driving groceries around to the needy in the first pandemic.

Not quite the Govt busting exploits of Marcus Rashford but still a hands on guy with a strong moral compass. I like him.
  • perhaps someone can lend moyes a pen clearly he needs one
  • Football Insider claim an "inside source" has told them that Moyes has committed to signing a new contract after talks yesterday
  • Moyes had an article in the Times on Friday, UEFA have invited him to be a "technical observer" at the Euros, "analysing the games and compiling a report on the tactical trends". He did it in 2016 and has also been analysing this season's Champions League.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/why-throw-ins-and-back-threes-will-be-crucial-at-euro-2020-2hh97c9lr

Hmmm, I wonder if other Premier League teams will object to us getting an unfair advantage? They have to pay to scout players at the Euros, we're getting ours paid for by UEFA
  • They should have more astute managers then. 🤓
  • I’m surprised Celtic aren’t in for him
  • He was linked with Celtic but why would he want to leave a club where the record signing is £45m (Haller) for a club where the record signing is £9.27m (Odsonne Édouard, 2018)?
  • Do we not have the option to extend his deal for 12 months?

So don't think there is any immediate worry, plenty of time to negotiate over a long term one even if for now we just extend his current one
  • As for a Celtic approach, I thought the Aussie bloke with the long Greek name was in the frame and virtually a shoe in?
  • He was linked with Celtic but why would he want to leave a club where the record signing is £45m (Haller) for a club where the record signing is £9.27m (Odsonne Édouard, 2018)?

To win a bunch of trophies?
  • alderz said:

To win a bunch of trophies?

Yeah but Scottish trophies don't really count...
  • edited June 2021

Moyes had an article in the Times on Friday, UEFA have invited him to be a "technical observer" at the Euros, "analysing the games and compiling a report on the tactical trends". He did it in 2016 and has also been analysing this season's Champions League.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/why-throw-ins-and-back-threes-will-be-crucial-at-euro-2020-2hh97c9lr

Let’s hope he learns something as we never seem to retain possession when taking a throw-in.
  • MIA agree, apart from Coufal, who is really good at throw-ins. He throws the ball hard, either at Soucek, or the corner area, or into space for a runner. I wish Cress would take lessons from him....
  • I've never been able to understand why our throw-ins are consistently so bad, we may just as well let the other team have the ball. You'd think that it's an area where some coaching would be useful.
  • You play football at a professional level. You've most likely been playing since a very young age. You've taken a good number of throw ins. For me, 2 choices... You throw to a team mate expecting them to lay it off or back to you OR you throw it into space for a team mate to run on to. I cant see the problem (outside of tight marking and a potentially quick press ;) ).
  • Bazshuayi said:

You play football at a professional level. You've most likely been playing since a very young age. You've taken a good number of throw ins. For me, 2 choices... You throw to a team mate expecting them to lay it off or back to you OR you throw it into space for a team mate to run on to. I cant see the problem (outside of tight marking and a potentially quick press ;) ).

Third option: throw it directly upwards like a rocket. The ball never technically leaves the field of play but doesn’t return for an hour, by why time the game is over and your team has won.
  • You should take the throw quickly. Your team mates know the drill, the opposition are second guessing. But no. You pick up the ball, wipe your hands on your shirt, wipe the ball on your shirt, try and get 10 yards up the line, get sent back and then around thirty five seconds after the award throw it to the opposition.
    West Ham have perfected this process over many seasons now and are probably the best at doing it. 🤦‍♂️

PS. This is after booing the opposition keeper for taking between fifteen and twenty five seconds to take a goal kick.
  • IronHerb said:

You pick up the ball, wipe your hands on your shirt, wipe the ball on your shirt, try and get 10 yards up the line, get sent back and then around thirty five seconds after the award throw it to the opposition.

When they change the throw-in rules, we'll be brilliant!
  • It never ceases to amaze me how the thrower cannot actually aim either for head or feet making it easier for the recipient to play the ball. Too often it is thrown at waist height, which makes it very difficult for the recipient and easy for the marker.
  • Perhaps we should ask for a pre kick off throw in exhibition and see how they do with no markers. Half of them can keepy uppy with ping pong balls from one bum cheek to another so negotiating a throw in should be easy.
  • I get astounded by how some players encroach yard after yard and dont get sent back. A couple of feet, fair enough but some players go on a sponsored walk befors throwing the ball and still get away with it.
  • yoyo said:

I get astounded by how some players encroach yard after yard and dont get sent back. A couple of feet, fair enough but some players go on a sponsored walk befors throwing the ball and still get away with it.

This is one of my bugbears, it really should be policed. Others include 10 yards at a free-kick (ie the player who runs to directly in front of the ball and waits until slowly walking backwards a step at all time, all the while in play and within 10 yards), and players picking up the ball and walking with it back towards their goal before tossing the ball back. Both are 100% to prevent a quick take of the free-kick, which was only awarded because the offending team had fouled in the first place.
  • yoyo said:

I get astounded by how some players encroach yard after yard and dont get sent back. A couple of feet, fair enough but some players go on a sponsored walk befors throwing the ball and still get away with it.

As Buffy has noted with the free kick example also it falls into that strange category, along also with wrestling your man at a corner, that the FA and referees seem to think is a rule that doesn't need enforcing! How they decide which rules do and don't need enforcing I have no idea.
  • Everton have spoken to David Moyes about becoming the clubs new manager, as the Scot is interested in succeeding Carlo Ancelotti (Football Insider).
  • https://www.football365.com/news/pearce-refusing-to-accept-new-west-ham-deal-before-moyes

“David’s certainly speaking with the club now.

“For all intents and purposes him and the club have agreed to extend his contract.

“Until David agrees his contract, it’s folly for me to make any sort of movements towards signing a new contract at the club.

“The club have made me an offer, which I’ve very grateful for, but I’ve not spoken to them in regard to agreeing a contract because my allegiance is with David. He was the one that brought me to the club.”

• Brilliant. Best PL season and nobody wants to commit to the club.
  • Pearce isn’t going to sign a new deal before Moyes, is he?

If Moyes leaves he’ll be on his way anyway, whether of his own choosing or because a new manager will bring their own team.
  • IF ( big if ) Moyes was to go then I wonder if the powers that be have a plan B?
  • Lukerz said:

Brilliant. Best PL season and nobody wants to commit to the club.

Pearce says “for all intent and purposes they have agreed to extend contract “so when Moyes signs so will Pearce . Reckon he will sign as soon as he is back from holiday.