The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• I'd be really pleased if we gave Moyes a new contract now. I like what I'm seeing.
  • Time to eat some humble pie 🥧 which I have no problem with.
    From the start I said I didn’t want Moyes, but credit where credit is due.
    He and his coaches have so far done a great job, perhaps even over achieving.

He certainly ain’t flash or OTT but he quietly is doing what we all hoped for.

I’m glad to be proved wrong, and at the moment IMO he certainly deserves a new contract.

Just hope our dwindling owners see fit to do this. 👌
  • I may be in the minority, but I’d leave contract decisions till the end of the season where the manager is concerned

Firstly, because he won’t be going anywhere between now and then so from a business perspective why would the club need to?

Secondly, a new contract may come with it targets and objectives and other criteria. How can you feasibly set these mid-season? We could finish fifth for example. On the other hand it might tail off and we could be 13th. The discussions could be very different depending on how we do.

Let the season run its entirety and then get it all done IMO.
  • I can't remember where we were having the scouting conversation the other day, but I just saw this article about Moyes wanting to revamp the scouting network at the club.

https://www.hammers.news/club-news/exwhuemployee-claims-david-moyes-is-planning-one-big-west-ham-change/
  • In order to “revamp a scouting department”, don’t you actually need to have one in the first place? 😂😂
  • The last proper scout we had was Baden- Powell
  • Alderz, from the line " targeting young players with high ceilings" in that article it looks like we'll be scouting people who live in Victorian houses ...
  • Definitely no players from Dover, judging from their front doors.
  • edited January 2021
    The improvement table is looking immense for us.

From last seasons identical fixtures (replacing Bournemouth, Watford & Norwich with Leeds, WBA & Fulham respectively) we took 18 points from those same 20 games.

That’s a 17 point improvement in less than a year. That is incredible. We have a chance now to extend that further with our next two (Liverpool & Villa), as we took 1 point from those two games last season.
  • Lukerz said:

We have a chance now to extend that further with our next two (Liverpool & Villa), as we took 1 point from those two games last season.

That's gone and jinxed it then 😭
  • Buffy - but even if we lose both, we’ll close the gap by a point, still with a 16 point improvement. That’s over 5 wins.
  • But that's because last year we were pretty hopeless at times. I wouldn't worry about last year, let's concentrate on this.
  • We started off pretty hopeless this year too. After the Newcastle game I thought we might be where WBA are now.
  • Last year is not relevant terribly. We need to make sure we keep up the momentum to avoid the ignomany of having to play on Thursday evenings next season.
  • It’s not overly relevant, but I like to see improvement in results. I always work on a basis of corresponding fixtures because if you end up with a ‘profit’, you end up having a better season.

Sad, I know.
  • So many things change though, not just but our opponents. If we were about to play the Villa of last season, anything other than 3 points would have been very disappointing

However given how Villa are this season, I would still say anything other than 3 points is very disappointing 😂😂

• Just thought I'd review some of the comments regarding who should take over from Pelle.
    Grey and Jorderz nailed it. I won't comment on anyone else. =)

Hope they've got Moyes lined up. Should never have let him go, imo.

I hate seeing managers sacked, and even more when we are the ones doing the sacking, but our squad is far better than recent performances would indicate, and it didn't look like Pelle knew how to resolve that. His management record with us was point overall, but I think the squad he leaves us with will turn out to he a good one.

I thought we were decent and hard-working under Moyes, solid without being spectacular.

He was given £9M to spend and the squad was poorer then than it is now.

Get him in on a proper contract, get the team structured and hard-working and give him a bit of cash, and I think he’ll do well.

Cuz1 said:

Just hope to god it’s not moyes

alderz said:

Moyes would be a terrible choice.

It'll be crushing if Moyes takes over and this was my only hesitation about Pellegrini going.

Can't get on board with Moyes myself. Screams of another dinosaur appointment.

• Light blue touch paper.........
  • edited January 2021
    Be wary of deepfakes people.
  • You haven’t quoted any of my opinions, bubbles, but if I plead guilty now, can I get a reduced sentence?
  • I was really cheesed off after our first 2 games and honestly thought it would be another struggle this season. I feared the drop loomed. I can't believe this turnaround. There were glimpses after lockdown, which is why I felt so deflated after our start. Fantastic achievement so far by the management staff and the willingness of the team. I have humbly eaten my hat many times this season. I am so pleased to be wrong and so far we are way above my expectations. Cheers Mr Moyes, long may it continue
  • Hamstew said:

Our owners are trash and I hate them. But that's just my opinion.

Some of the historical comments/opinions from back then probably still hold true though..
  • Just saw this on the BBC, in their football thread where they intersperse reporting with reader comment...

"Although Man City have looked impressive, we can't really tell what they're going to perform like without KDB, just from last night's performance. They played an extremely poor West Brom side. Next month is key when Pep has to think about CL v an in form Monchengladbach side, and also league games v Liverpool, Spurs and West Ham."

(my italics)

:p
  • What’s more is that Arsenal were not on that list and they play them before they play us

😳
  • You haven’t quoted any of my opinions, bubbles, but if I plead guilty now, can I get a reduced sentence?

Baracks, sorry if you feel left out =) , but your comments were not as damning as the ones I posted. They were more about him making one or two poor transfer decisions, a little fence-sitting more than anything else.
    Would a suspended sentence be ok. ;)
  • So what you are saying is I was more measured and balanced with my opinion than Alderz?

Remarkable if so.

Baracks, sorry if you feel left out =) , but your comments were not as damning as the ones I posted. They were more about him making one or two poor transfer decisions, a little fence-sitting more than anything else.
    Would a suspended sentence be ok. ;)
    Crushed. Definition: To be higher then [sic] you have ever been before.

• I'm loving Moyes at the club

Since we've moved to the stadium I've had 2 huge issues when it comes to the onfield issues at the club
    1. A lack of fitness. How often were we run off the park. We were last for distance run per 90 and sprint per 90 in like 3 of the last 4 seasons. We were overrun and outmsucled in most games which led to point 2....
    2. A weak mentality. We have lost so many points under Bilic and Pellegrini due to this. We'd go ahead, then panic and capitulate. We have bought and played a lot of players that just look miserable playing for us, and don't want to be here, but continue to ply them week in week out as they are good "on paper"

Moyes has fixed these 2 issues

We look as fit as anyone, pressing from the 1st minute to the 90th

And we never give up, and beside the Brighton game right at the start, we look strong when we are front. You can see fire in the bellies of players, and those that don't show the desire have been dropped and hungry players have been brought in (like fornals who it took moyes while to warm up to after trying anderson/lanzini)

Moyes has the guys playing like a team, a team where every single person looks like they want to be here

And we a philosophy
    Defend deep, press when the opposition gets to the half way line and when we get the ball we attack with pace and with numbers

Even under Slav (and 100% under Pellegrini) I always thought we just put 11 players on the pitch and hoped it clicked, the players never seemed to know what they were supposed to do

Also his transfers, always hard to judge but by what I've heard from Him and Sullivan, he has been in control of them. And while the were a few attractive options we turned down, I only judge in the players that come in and Bowen & Soucek have been phenomenal. Dont wanna jump the gun on Coufal too soon, but he's looked fantastic so far

He may not be play the sexiest football, but we finally look like a "team" that's knows what's expected of it and where its going

With Moyes we can be a safe mid table team compared to the misery of relaegtion battles

The question for me is if we can have a year or 2 with stable mid table finishes and no drama, can he take us forward, but that's not a question that needs answering now

Backed Moyes in October and haven't changed my mind since

Absolutely loving him at the club
  • And one swallow doesn’t make a summer, I will respect what he’s done but reserve judgment till he’s done it next season as well pelle and Bilic had good first seasons let’s wait and see
  • Jorderz right again?

Shock.