West Ham’s next boss

Comments

• Alaves play 4-4-2 with Perez in partnership with Joselu, the striker Newcastle sold in the summer for £2.9m after he'd scored just 7 goals in 52 appearances over two seasons (under Benítez no less)

This season he's scored 6 in 15 appearances.

Maybe its easier to score in La Liga than the Premier League...
  • Or pehaps their manager utilizes the players to suit them rather than suit the managers preffered system...a bit like Haller IMO...
  • Maybe that's easier to do in La Liga?

Our managers always stick to roughly the same set-up. I don't think they have the luxury of adapting to players. The only time I can think of was Bilic for Payet. And I'm not sure that was changing a system as much as assignment of responsibilities.

There are hardly ever examples of Premier League clubs playing two strikers any more.
  • I’d prefer to go with the hypothesis that neither our manager nor our director of finance are putting forward a terribly convincing argument that they actually know what they are doing
  • Pellegrini has managed 14 clubs over a 30 year career, he's managed in the top flight in England, Spain and Argentina, winning the title in two of them.

Its hardly likely that he's been a manager for that length of time with that level of success without knowing what he's doing.
  • I’d prefer to go with the hypothesis that neither our manager nor our director of finance are putting forward a terribly convincing argument that they actually know what they are doing

Yeah, sure, maybe. But who does?

I think you can fault them for buying Haller if he doesn't suit your system and you're not going to change it. Arnautovic is the only player who has been able to work in that system. Sakho did as well for a while.
  • Aslef

To be fair, I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in what he/they have done elsewhere. Only what they have done at West Ham is relevant to me. And based on them 18 months in it leaves a lot to be desired

Err Rodgers, Nuno at Wolves, wilder to name but three
  • If you spend the kind of money we did ( record fee ) being a mid spending team, not top 5 or bottom 5 of spenders, then I'd like to think that they thought Haller would be a great fit & also fit into our managers preffered system of playing, especially as Pellegrini seems incapable/won't mix it up, this doesn't seem to be the case..Poor management & poor manager...
  • I get the feeling (my opinion only) Haller came into Husillos’ mind at quite short notice as the realisation of the failure to land maxi became a reality after such a protracted chase. Haller’s name was barely mentioned until relatively close to when he actually signed.

And when Wilder takes Sheffield United down next season after people figure his side out (in the classic second season syndrome), are you going to still say that?

You’re mentioning managers who are currently doing well. They may go to a club in the future and it doesn’t work out. Do they then not know what they’re doing?

Pellegrini did well previously, but is not doing well at West Ham. Has he just been getting lucky his whole career at other clubs since he didn’t know what he was doing?
  • edited December 2019

Thought you had absolutely no interest whatsoever in what managers have done elsewhere... :biggrin:
  • Anyone who studied Eintrachts formation last season will have seen how they got the best out of Haller. He had 2 quick strikers up top with him, we have decided in the main to let him plough a lone furrow and wonder why he is getting disillusioned.
  • How could we do that? Push Anderson and Antonio closer to Haller? But leaves our full-backs exposed.
  • Masuaku- Haller - Antonio

Anderson in a free role behind them. Both would help the full backs when needed. Would be very easy to switch to 3 at the back also with Cresswell going inside. Haller needs the fastest most direct players next to him.
  • Ok, after that posting, I'm happy for ianbishoplegend to be our next manager :ok:

You can start after we lose to Southampton

#axe ready/papers drawn up
  • Masuaku- Haller - Antonio

Anderson in a free role behind them. Both would help the full backs when needed. Would be very easy to switch to 3 at the back also with Cresswell going inside. Haller needs the fastest most direct players next to him.

Yes that's what I'd like to see but that's a lot of work to be close to Haller and also track back deep enough. Cresswell is so easily exposed by pace, so needs cover. If Noble was more mobile, maybe the midfield could have covered it.

I'd like to see it but not sure it works. I think it'd end up looking like what we have now. Maybe what we can do is change what we've done in the last few weeks but push Anderson closer to Haller. Or put Anderson back on the wing and have Antonio in for Fornals (or maybe Snodgrass) and play the role behind but close to Haller.
  • I thought cresswell was doing a good job marking pepe but when he had to go off, imo that's when it fell apart.
    Yes arthur has more pace than cresswell but his marking is terrible.
    I see arthur more as an attacking wing-back rather than a full back.
  • What I am trying to understand is why so many managers, including the very top ones, can have high levels of success and then suddenly it stops working.

It's happened with us, Bilic had us playing well, winning games then within a fairly short space of time it stopped working. It has happened to Mourinho both at Chelsea and Man Utd. Look at Arsenal, Everton and even, dare I say it, Pep Guardiola at Man City. It is happening to Pelligrini, clearly a very experienced and successful manager that in his early days with us had us playing some lovely attacking football.

Why can these managers do well and find it easy when winning but find it so hard to turn it around when it starts to go wrong?
  • Dammit! Could it really be the players? :hmm: ;)
  • It’s usually when somebody at the top of the club gets complacent
  • The tea lady got complacent :nonono:
  • Well who's that then Lukerz?
  • With the high profile of The Premier League, the scrutiny, the money I can't believe it's just complacency. More suggestions please.
  • edited December 2019
    Confidence? We were playing with confidence at the beginning of the season, playing the ball around well at times.

We then lost 4-0 to Oxford, lost to Palace when we shouldn’t have, and then got destroyed by Everton. And the lack of confidence snowballed. And it can be difficult to get out of that slump.
  • Oh, and in our case, we don’t run around enough to put teams under pressure.
  • edited December 2019
    Outcast said:
    "Yes that's what I'd like to see but that's a lot of work to be close to Haller and also track back deep enough. Cresswell is so easily exposed by pace, so needs cover. If Noble was more mobile, maybe the midfield could have covered it. "
    We must have the slowest midfield in the EPL.
  • The Daily Star says we want Poch, the Mirror says he's turned us down

The Telegraph reckons we could ask Harry back until the end of the season. That could be fun...
  • Harry would be box office. Deadline day with Harry and Rosie being interviewed by sky with the car window wound down
This discussion has been closed.