West Ham’s next boss

Comments

• I want Pelle out, but really it depends on who the replacement would be. I’d stick with him if it meant moyes, Hughton or Silva. I really don’t see what any of those can possibly achieve for West Ham. Howe is now going stale and I don’t want a manager who we should have had a few years ago now to arrive belatedly at West Ham

Wilder for me would be interesting - at least he is still getting better.

But my top choice would probably be a wild card - Arterta.
  • It sounds like we are stuck with him until after the saints game at least. We lose he goes, we win he's safe until the next run of results. Seems madness to me. There is definitely something stirring on twitter regarding a mass protest.
  • I doubt Rio would want to give up on his very many financial and social media projects.
  • it will be Moye's on a 2/5 year contract and Antonio will be our new arnautovic
  • What out the door on the cheap
  • Whilst I am not enthused by the idea of Moyes, I think he would be a manager to get Haller to his best. Think of that Everton team with Lukaku. I think Moyes would know exactly how to get Haller functioning.
  • edited December 2019
    I don't see us getting Chris Wilder to leave Sheffield United, in fact I don't think we could prise any current Premier League managers away from their current teams we're not a step up, we're a sideways move at best.

If Arteta is heading anywhere this season then Arsenal seems his most likely destination.

With Moyes I think it would be once bitten twice shy

Considering our owners if they can't get Rafa we'll most likely end up with Hughton although I'm prepared to be pleasantly surprised....
  • Why couldn’t we get Wilder? It would just be a case of compensating Sheff Utd - something we are well used to doing.

• Who's the saviour? I don't see us getting any so called decent " big named " manager that is currently employed. I can only see it being a freebie or one from a lower league. We're in a whole...it's going to be a tough ride
  • Defect on Saturday could be curtains for Pelle according to the guardian
  • Why couldn’t we get Wilder? It would just be a case of compensating Sheff Utd - something we are well used to doing.

Probably because he wouldn't want to come to us!
  • Looks like something is going to go down during the Leicester game. Is that on sky?
  • So, I've seen a bunch of people recently complain that the owners are cheap because they don't employ managers that are employed, because it means they will be paying compensation. I don't necessarily disagree with that, but I wondered to myself how common it is for PL clubs to hire an employed manager.

Over the past four and half seasons (2016/17 til today) there have been 55 managerial changes by Premier League clubs (not including Everton, Watford & Arsenal, as they haven't made appointments yet). 31 of these were during the season, and 24 were in the close season.

29% (16) of these were in employment at the time that the hiring club sacked their previous manager. They were:

- Graham Potter - Swansea to Brighton
    - Antonio Conte - Italy to Chelsea (though his contract was ending)
    - Frank Lampard - Derby to Chelsea
    - Ronald Koeman - Southampton to Everton
    - Jan Siewart - Dortmund II to Huddersfield
    - Brendan Rodgers - Celtic to Leicester
    - Pep Guardiola - Bayern to City
    - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - Molde to Utd
    - Steve Bruce - Sheffield Wednesday to Newcastle
    - Gary Rowett - Derby to Stoke
    - Simon Grayson - Preston to Sunderland
    - Bob Bradley - Le Havre to Swansea
    - Carlos Carvalhal - Sheffield Wednesday to Swansea (though he did get sacked between Swansea sacking Paul Clement and him being hired)
    - Graham Potter - Ostersund to Swansea
    - Marco Silva - Hull to Watford (quit Hull before being appointed)
    - Manuel Pellegrini - Hebei China Fortune to West Ham

Only 5 of those were mid season changes. That means that only 5 of the past 31 mid season managerial changes by PL clubs have been to recruit a manager in a job, and the Carlos Calvalhal appointment stretches the logic slightly, so it's probably more accurate to say 4.

In that time, these clubs have turned to an out of work manager at least once: Aston Villa, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Everton, Fulham, Hull City, Leicester, Liverpool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Swansea, Spurs, Watford, West Brom, West Ham.

So, basically, it's really, very rare for any club to prise a manager from the grasp of another club. OBVIOUSLY that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it, but it does mean it is extraordinarily unusual for any club to do so, which - to me - means it's not a stick we should beat the owners with.
  • alderz,

I am sure we can find another stick to beat the owners with. :whistle:
  • Fortune

Oh, I completely believe in our collective ability to do so
  • I should have made it slightly clearer actually. It's important to note that nearly half (46%) of close season appointments are managers in work. Only 16% of mid season appointments are the same.
  • Paulo Di Canio :quaver: :scarf:
  • Hamstew,

The Leicester game is in the evening of the 28th as they are playing Bazpool on Boxing Day night. I did predict the natives would get restless and plan another protest.
  • edited December 2019
    Brad Bobley was sacked, with Swansea winning only two of his 11 games in charge and conceding 29 goals in the process.

Winning two out of 11 games and conceding 29 goals.
    Not exactly the same but does it sound familiar :hmm:
  • edited December 2019
    Ex seems to think he has the Saints game to save his job. So if we win he's safe for a few more games until his next poor run. Makes sense :hmm: Regardless it looks as if there is going to be some sort of walk out or boycott during the Foxes game.
  • Ham, so he'll be gone on Sunday then.
  • The board will really show themselves up if they sack him after yet another defeat Saturday. That is a crucial game. Lose that, and I would make us one of the favourites to go down. We need a reaction for that game.

If they leave him in charge, implying he is the man to take us forward, then sack him after losing Saturday, that will be a shambles.

You can see he has no answers to the slump we are in. The mentality is brittle & confidence is low, yet he has no solution to solve it. The Chelsea win was the chance to springboard us forward, but we have lost both games since at an aggregate of 1-5.

He needs to be moved on sooner than later. Saints & Palace are massive games & we need a reaction for them, one we have no evidence to suggest we will get as it currently stands.
  • Lukerz
    Did you mean
    The board will really show themselves up if they don't sack him after yet another defeat Saturday
  • BND - no, I mean if they sack him Saturday after holding off last night/today, it just makes a mockery of their decision making.
  • I think the board are in a " damned if they do, damned if they don't " situation. But they're decisions you have to make when you run any club or business. I don't envy them. Sack him and we suffer, then it was wrong. Keep him and we suffer then it was wrong. Tough call to make
  • yoyo said:

I think the board are in a " damned if they do, damned if they don't " situation. But they're decisions you have to make when you run any club or business. I don't envy them. Sack him and we suffer, then it was wrong. Keep him and we suffer then it was wrong. Tough call to make

:wave:Pelle
This discussion has been closed.