West Ham’s next boss

Comments

• Appreciate that, Ronnie Barker just popped into my mind, always raises a smile :bowdown:
  • Never mind right, my left side perception is out of whack. Weird feeling
  • edited December 2019
    Grey, if it's not too sensitive a subject, it could be worse. I mean look at this poor so-and-so.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShXbVmqF2BeQMZkd_bwRfu7HqnfbvIPhi-nL4Nw-N2_hhofxCO5w&s

:yercoat:
  • Don't worry Bubbles, that was Grey before the op. :whistle:
  • So we can strike Ancelotti off the managerial wish list. Not that at £12m a year he was ever likely to be on it in the first place.
  • Is that the list of young managers on an upward career trajectory?
  • So we can strike Ancelotti off the managerial wish list. Not that at £12m a year he was ever likely to be on it in the first place.

We have missed out massively here.
  • I didn’t say he was on my wish list necessarily. But he would have been on some people’s
  • I like Ancelotti, but I think he is massively inexperienced with turning a lower mid table club into a good side
  • :hmm: reminds me of someone
  • So let’s see if Everton have got anywhere in 18 months
  • alderz said:

I like Ancelotti, but I think he is massively inexperienced with turning a lower mid table club into a good side

Pelle = Ancelotti
  • Lukerz. The same can be said for other top managers who are great while things are going well, but seem to find it very hard to turn it around when it is not going well.
  • Scott Parkers Fulham still going strong. Too soon?
  • Give him a full season in charge, he only go the job in February.
  • yoyo said:

Scott Parkers Fulham still going strong. Too soon?

Would have been one of my picks had we got rid of Pelle but I am sure the owners would see it as too much of a gamble.
  • Fulham played good football under Slaviša Jokanović. When they came up they didn't buy particularly well and then kneejerked to Ranieri... Is Parker trying to play the same way as Jokanović? Or has he changed to a big degree? I've heard Fulham being called the Man City of the Championship (I believe whilst Parker was manager so perhaps they've not changed their style much). I believe hes managing in Qatar. I'd rather have someone like him than Evertons new boss
  • I know he is struggling ATM but I'd still like Howe. :sofa:
  • Not for me Ham, I'm sure he is a good guy but I have a horrible feeling it would not work out for him at The London Stadium and in a fairly short space of time he would be heading back to Bournemouth.
  • I would have liked Arteta to be honest. But if we did change our manager I’d prefer it to be someone doing well in a job that we need to prise away. But it’s not what sully does
  • Baracks,

To be fair, it’s not what almost anybody does.
  • Look back at our protracted chase of Pardew. Now I know it unravelled for him for various reasons - and some may have been of his own making but he did quite well in the earlier part of his time with us and was within a Scaloni brain fade of winning us a trophy.
  • Baracks,

To be fair, it’s not what almost anybody does.

Odd that we can easily pay £9m on someone like hugill without blinking an eye, and yet wont pay another club some comp for their manager.
  • I know what you’re saying, but it isn’t just us. It’s almost everybody. Practically every club hires a manager out of work.
  • Jorderz,

Was Arteta not employed by Manchester City?
  • He was a coach, he wasn’t the manager.

Unless you’re saying Sully is cheap because he doesn’t hire as manager people who are currently coaches at other teams.

If so, which coaches are you hoping Sully gives the manager’s job to?

Add to that Arsenal are a much bigger club with more money and Arteta desperately wanted to go, and I don’t think it’s a very useful example.
  • edited December 2019
    I stand corrected Jorderz and will feel even more chastised when G & S actually pay some compensation to get a “top” manager when they are needed. I see you have mentioned the bigger club bit and more money another thing we have to burden ourselves with but weren’t we told if we moved stadium we could compete with these clubs?
  • weren’t we told if we moved stadium we could compete with these clubs?

If you enter the lottery, you could win it.
  • alderz said:

So, I've seen a bunch of people recently complain that the owners are cheap because they don't employ managers that are employed, because it means they will be paying compensation. I don't necessarily disagree with that, but I wondered to myself how common it is for PL clubs to hire an employed manager.

Over the past four and half seasons (2016/17 til today) there have been 55 managerial changes by Premier League clubs (not including Everton, Watford & Arsenal, as they haven't made appointments yet). 31 of these were during the season, and 24 were in the close season.

29% (16) of these were in employment at the time that the hiring club sacked their previous manager. They were:

- Graham Potter - Swansea to Brighton
    - Antonio Conte - Italy to Chelsea (though his contract was ending)
    - Frank Lampard - Derby to Chelsea
    - Ronald Koeman - Southampton to Everton
    - Jan Siewart - Dortmund II to Huddersfield
    - Brendan Rodgers - Celtic to Leicester
    - Pep Guardiola - Bayern to City
    - Ole Gunnar Solskjaer - Molde to Utd
    - Steve Bruce - Sheffield Wednesday to Newcastle
    - Gary Rowett - Derby to Stoke
    - Simon Grayson - Preston to Sunderland
    - Bob Bradley - Le Havre to Swansea
    - Carlos Carvalhal - Sheffield Wednesday to Swansea (though he did get sacked between Swansea sacking Paul Clement and him being hired)
    - Graham Potter - Ostersund to Swansea
    - Marco Silva - Hull to Watford (quit Hull before being appointed)
    - Manuel Pellegrini - Hebei China Fortune to West Ham

Only 5 of those were mid season changes. That means that only 5 of the past 31 mid season managerial changes by PL clubs have been to recruit a manager in a job, and the Carlos Calvalhal appointment stretches the logic slightly, so it's probably more accurate to say 4.

In that time, these clubs have turned to an out of work manager at least once: Aston Villa, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Everton, Fulham, Hull City, Leicester, Liverpool, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Swansea, Spurs, Watford, West Brom, West Ham.

So, basically, it's really, very rare for any club to prise a manager from the grasp of another club. OBVIOUSLY that doesn't mean we shouldn't do it, but it does mean it is extraordinarily unusual for any club to do so, which - to me - means it's not a stick we should beat the owners with.

Here’s this again, for info
  • Mrs G, I know from personal experience how much money I have won playing the lottery over many years. :weep:
This discussion has been closed.