West Ham’s next boss

Comments

• I agree it makes sense to close the window before the season starts but it was utter stupidity for the Premier League to close ours while the other major European nations kept theirs open until the end of August/beginning of September.

I can only assume that the clubs thought losing a few players in the three week gap without being able to replace them until January was acceptable
  • edited December 2019
    There is no evidence that Chica was being disruptive (as far as we can tell). He was probably unhappy and wanted to leave (maybe zaha is in that boat too), but it doesn’t just follow that he should be sold. The needs of the squad (having let go of every other forward) should have outweighed the fact that he was on a high wage and in the last year of his contract.

A poor decision (whoever made it) IMO
  • :ok:

I don't have any objection to the players we allowed to move on, but the fact is we let the following players go in the summer:

Obiang
    Arnautovic
    Lucas Perez
    Hernandez
    Carroll

And only really signed Fornals & Haller.

Whilst the jury was out on some of those players, that's four strikers & a DM/CM, & all of them contributed to the club during last season in some capacity (excluding maybe Carroll).

I think we need to bring in a couple of other players in January to beef up the squad.
  • I for one do not blame Chico for leaving, he never was and never will be a lone front man and most of all he knows that himself.

He is a poacher, and a darned good one at that who needs someone alongside him to feed off.

We never really played him to his strengths, that was our choice not his and it should hardly be surprising that he wanted out, I never heard of him being disruptive and wish him well.

I understand the merits of the discussion is whether or not we should have let him leave, my take on it is if we had changed our system and accommodated him, he probably would still be with us and frankly, I would have loved to have seen him and Haller up top.
  • Lukerz

One notable omission from your list was Adrian. Whether it was he who actually wanted to leave (rather than us let him go) he still left
  • Lukerz

One notable omission from your list was Adrian. Whether it was he who actually wanted to leave (rather than us let him go) he still left

Adrian rejected three new contracts before we signed Fabianski, my guess is that after he was dropped for Joe Hart he'd had enough of working for Sullivan and Gold.
  • Just noticed the following:

Bournemouth. Won 4. Drawn 4. lost 6.
    West Ham. Won 4. Drawn 4. Lost 6.

• Step forward Eddie Howe our saviour
  • Well he might be available soon without compo
  • All part of his plan
  • He has now plateaued and is yesterday’s news. If we wanted him, we should have tried a few years ago.
  • I work opposite a Bournemouth fan. He wasn't too complimentary about Howe this morning.

Remember when we were banging our heads against the wall when Pellegrini put Zaba up against Saint-Maxime? Well Howe put Simon Francis, comfortably Bournemouth's slowest player, against Zaha last night and that drew a lot of criticism from the Bournemouth contingent.

There's also been some grumbling about the Solanke signing, too. A lot of money for very little output (see Fornals), so there's an argument that maybe Howe isn't necessarily an upgrade on Pellegrini.
  • Like I said. All part of his plan.
  • It’s often been said that Howe needs to go to a club and test himself with a bigger budget etc etc. Well arguably his budget has been swelled in recent times and he has managed to spend it on the likes of Ibe, etc. Mousset is an interesting one. Howe failed to get the best out of him, and he is now doing much better now he has moved.

I would honestly take Wilder above Howe. His makes his teams hard to beat, yet still manages to play a reasonably attractive brand of football considering the resources he has available.
  • Yes Wilder is always better ;)
  • If he came to us he'd probably turn out like Gene Wilder...
  • Seriously though, he's showing some innovative nous, has a mix of players that aren't primadonnas and seems to have bought well on a limited budget (if McBurnie is ignored which is hard with a name like that. He may come good though). I'd take him over Howe and Benitez. That said I didn't want either anyway
  • I think Howe will be to management what Le Tissier was to players, plenty of interest from bigger clubs but no desire to leave a club that would struggle to attract anyone of his level.
  • I actually think if Wilson and Ake leave, Bournemouth will be looking over their shoulders nervously at the Champo
  • So Baz, if Wilder is always better, should he be the Priority as our next manager. :yercoat:
  • :yercoat: here's an extra one just in case you can't find it :whistle:
  • Baz, I think you may be the only one who appreciated the subtlety. :biggrin:
  • So Hope that tonight the owners see sense...I mean Pelle is not the right man, get out now pls ....
  • i agree but not much choice in who we can get. also need to spend a bit in January. i want people who have passion, can run (fast), head the ball, pass to a team mate and stay fit - not much to ask is it?
  • edited December 2019
    Time of reckoning for Sully. It is pretty obvious that we are going to have to go into the transfer market for at least a couple of players In Jan. Is he prepared to allow the clueless duo to make those choices given how stunningly well their transfers have gone thus far?
  • edited December 2019
    Nah, he'll won't let them spend anything.

He also won't sack them.

He is 100% trusting to luck that there will be three worse teams than us come May, IMO.
  • Any owners act on this sort of form. Everton will be pushing the button any day now I'm certain. Our owners are tight and don't give hoot.
  • edited December 2019
    If the owners are fair and consistent they should remove Pelle (Plus partner in crime) immediately IMO. I take myself back to slav. Firstly he had delivered one of the finest seasons in recent memory. Pelle hasn’t. He delivered some memorable cup performances. Pelle has given us humiliation on that front. Pelle has been given two £40m players plus other expensive acquisitions. Slav was given Eminike and Calleri

Don’t get me wrong, we were in free fall and in a parlous state when Slav went. But even amongst those first 11 games of season 17/18 there were games where we showed heart and still lost points where we possibly merited more. The injury time pen v southampton, Antonio’s brain fade V palace, playing three quarters of the game with 10 men and only conceding a late equaliser v Burnley.

This season, not only have we been on a sorry run points wise, but we have looked completely lost and devoid of ideas, and not been deserving of any more points then we have. Like Ranieri at Leicester, Slav at least had in his “bank” a previous track record of delivery at the club at his time of dismissal. Pelle has nothing.
  • If the owners are fair and consistent they should remove Pelle (Plus partner in crime) immediately IMO. I take myself back to slav. Firstly he had delivered one of the finest seasons in recent memory. Pelle hasn’t. He delivered some memorable cup performances. Pelle has given us humiliation on that front. Pelle has been given two £40m players plus other expensive acquisitions. Slav was given Eminike and Calleri

Don’t get me wrong, we were in free fall and in a parlous state when Slav went. But even amongst those first 11 games of season 17/18 there were games where we showed heart and still lost points where we possibly merited more. The injury time pen v southampton, Antonio’s brain fade V palace, playing three quarters of the game with 10 men and only conceding a late equaliser v Burnley.

This season, not only have we been on a sorry run points wise, but we have looked completely lost and devoid of ideas, and not been deserving of any more points then we have. Like Ranieri at Leicester, Slav at least had in his “bank” a previous track record of delivery at the club at his time of dismissal. Pelle has nothing.

:thumbsup:
This discussion has been closed.