Transfer rumours and speculation to take us through to summer.

Comments

• What does concern me is that we're a month away from the new season and our squad is weaker than it was when last season ended.

Nothing to suggest Roberto is any better than Adrian. David Martin brings nothing to the squad, other than allowing Trott to go on loan.

Fornals looks good, but is he any better than Nasri? Granted, Nasri's fitness was poor but in terms of quality, I would say they're probably on a par.

I don't think we're going to miss Carroll at all, but obviously Arnautovic was out No1 forward and Perez actually chipped in with a few goals, and neither has been replaced as yet, so we're significantly weaker up front than we were in May.

Now I'd like to think that the board have been working on other deals in parallel with Gomez, so that we don't have to start again with other targets, but I can't help but feel we're now under a bit of pressure to bring in two strikers in a market where our need is very public. As Yeold alludes to, I think clubs out there are in a strong position to rinse us.
  • edited July 2019
    yoyo said:

BREAKING NEWS

Sky sources understand the deal to take Celta Vigo striker Maxi Gomez to West Ham United is off.

West Ham offered the £45m release clause to the Spanish club but could not agree a payment structure.

Gomez is now closing in a move to Valencia. He is expected in Spain tomorrow to finalise the move.

Valencia have offered cash plus players to seal his signature

Now where do we turn?

That's been reported on KUMB as well.
    http://kumb.com/story.php?id=133669

I don't think we should panic.
    Pellegrini would have been looking at other players just in case this scenario happened.
  • edited July 2019
    alderz :ok:
    It also seems to be saying that triggering the release clause (or 'buyout clause' which may or may not be the same thing) simply means the club have to allow you to talk to the player. It's not any guarantee a deal will be done.

But if the player is happy, and agrees personal terms, they then lodge the buyout fee (subbed by the buying club, obvs) and it all goes ahead whether the selling club is happy or not.

However, if the player isn't keen/can't agree terms/has other irons in the fire (no pun intended) then they will simply hold out until they get what they want (by refusing to facilitate the lodging of the fee with La Liga???). A which point, the selling club might be persuaded to accept the value of the buyout clause made up in different ways (makeweight players etc)??

Seems to give most of the power to the player (which I think was the aim of the Decree thingy that brought in the obligation for all player contracts to have a buyout clause in them).

It's very different from the PL system.
  • edited July 2019
    I think that they should bite the bullet and pay it upfront. Apparently Gomez wanted to come here, we wanted him, but either can't or won't pay up front.

Possibly not the best signal to be sending out to either Maxi, or anyone else we may want to buy.

If only Ann Summers had had a better year :lol:
  • What does concern me is that we're a month away from the new season and our squad is weaker than it was when last season ended.

I think the picture is a bit brighter than you make out.

We had 2 players unavailable (Reid + Yarmo) who are now fit. That's like 2 new signings.

Fornals is younger and will (we hope :pray: ) develop - whereas Nasri was coming to the end of his career and in any case was only available (when fit) for half a season.

We've got Hugills back (ok, I know, but Pelle might be impressed)
  • Maybe conflicting reports expat but i thought he wanted to stay in spain. :hmm:
  • Apparently Gomez wanted to come here,

Well, I've seen lots of reports that he wasn't keen. So I guess until he speaks out, we'll never know.
  • I got in first MrsGrey :hug:
  • I'm sure that I read from Sky Sports (I know :doh: ) that he was happy with the offer from us
  • Expat

Sky's reporting on this has frequently been contradictory.
  • edited July 2019
    Well not sure what Celta are playing at but it is within their right to take the deal they want. Our offer would have meant they got the best part of €50m from us over the next few years. As it is they are probs gonna accept around £20m for him with a couple of additional players.

You would hope there are other options because we have just lost arguably the best striker outside the top six & Rondon looks a no go too. Plus Andy & Perez being let go (which I am not complaining about, but I thought Perez was a handy third striker).

As OCS says, a month until the window closes & we are in a deficit in terms of squad balance. We are probably breaking even in all areas of the pitch but up front we need another two strikers & that is if we keep Hernandez. Plus one of them has to be good enough to replace Arnie; 20 goals in two seasons.
  • Now i read we are interested in Balotelli give me strength.... when will we learn.
  • I think Balotelli is well worth a punt, but I hold no faith in reported rumours - unless we really have been looking at 60+ players this summer...
  • edited July 2019
    Hugill :bowdown:
  • Expat

Sky's reporting on this has frequently been contradictory.

Of course, it's the meejah innit
  • edited July 2019

Now i read we are interested in Balotelli give me strength.... when will we learn.

Well, the stories seem to be based on ExWHU tweeting this
    I think he is on a long list of alternative forward options

• I have no qualms in not paying the entire cost up front for Gomez, there isn't enough to suggest at €45mil hes going to be a sure bet....plus how many transfers nowadays are for the full price upfront

That said pre season has started, so the urge to get someone in soon is apparent

I trust in Pellegrini & Husillos

Also I feel fornals is a huge upgrade on Nasri who barely even took to the pitch he was so injury prone

And I agree with grey, Yarmo and (less so) Reid will be like new additions
  • As long as we don’t go for Sturridge, he’s an emotional wreck at the moment cos someone’s pinched his wee dog.

• And I agree with grey, Yarmo and (less so) Reid will be like new additions

:weep:
  • edited July 2019
    Lets all wait and see which rabbits are pulled out of the hat before we come out with the same old West Ham comments as I have seen posted recently on other sites. I trust MP won't settle for second best as he wants us to be challenging this season although with a month to go as time goes by I will start to become concerned as the days pass with no sign of two quality strikers coming in unless we put all the money at one major target like Gomez and keep Hernandez?
  • I think Balotelli is well worth a punt,

Rav will be all over that :biggrin: :wahoo:
  • DJ Hammer said:

As long as we don’t go for Sturridge, he’s an emotional wreck at the moment cos someone’s pinched his wee dog.

I saw this earlier. Some sickos out there
  • But neither Yarmo or Reid are strikers, and that's where we're struggling.

Now, Rondon was all but in China at the weekend and that's gone a bit quiet, so here's what I'm hoping:

Gomez was our No1 choice but would have used pretty much all of our budget, so our second striker would likely to have been a free, i.e. Balotelli. £45m effectively spent on two forwards.

Plan B is Rondon at £16m and another striker at £30m that gives us two forwards for the same price.

M&M are very experienced so I would like to think that they have several irons in the fire and we're not in Zaza and Calleri territory just yet, but I would really have wanted a first team striker in by now.
  • DJ Hammer said:

As long as we don’t go for Sturridge, he’s an emotional wreck at the moment cos someone’s pinched his wee dog.

We’d be barking up the wrong tree with sturridge

• I trust MP won't settle for second best

He kind of already has to now Gomez is going elsewhere.

Just read that Bournemouth have offered Wilson a new contract that makes a move for him less likely (or more expensive, if nothing else), too.
  • edited July 2019
    I know I have barked up this particular tree before - but how about testing Chelsea’s resolve and enquire about Giroud

He is unlikely to be first choice for them and I fail to see why he would not jump at a guaranteed first team spot - given his age we may have to pay over the odds to tempt him but surely we are not talking about the sort of funds that would have been committed with Gomez.

Go on Pelle, give them a call

:thumbsup:
  • chicago, I'd love to sign him but I really don't think he'd come to a club like ours/our position.

Also, Chelsea are under a transfer embargo, they can sell but they can't buy.
  • Yeah Chelsea won't be selling anyone they don't have to
  • Don't Panic, Don't Panic, :wahoo:
  • MrsGrey said:

I think Balotelli is well worth a punt,

Rav will be all over that :biggrin: :wahoo:
    #TruDat

M45B :bowdown:
This discussion has been closed.