Transfer rumours and speculation to take us through to summer.

Comments

• "I cant speak"

Well there lies your problem Marko you let your brother do the speaking for you. :wave: perhaps grow a spine.
  • Anyway enough about him, so when will we have the league wrapped up by - March ? April ?

COYI

When we win the hardest game on the calendar first up, all other games will seem easy.
  • Yeah saw that lol. China is off lol
  • But if he is on the reported £200-300k then his brother has done the talking pretty well.
  • I think the club needs to learn from Payet and Arnie and sell when they have highest value. I think the board are trying to apease the fans too much by not being a selling club. Agents will see us as a soft touch to get low value moves - if this continues. Payet, Arnie (and potentially Lanzini) all went for half price. Need to be a lot wiser, especially with players in last stages of their careers.
  • IBL but how are the club to know when the highest value is and do we sell players when they are playing the their peak to get most value. Unfortunately players have a lot of power nowdays and if they want to make like hard for the club to force a move I cant see what else they can do. We cannot afford to stick them in the with the kids if they are one of our highest earners. We did n't sell Arnie in Jan as it would have left us short of strikers as we did n't have enough time to get someone else in.
  • Although to be fair we could have cashed in in Jan and released Gomez clause there and then (hindsight) (?)

Furthermore Arnie was out for a reasonable spell post Jan wasn’t he?
  • edited July 2019
    Regardless, we’ve been bent over the barrel by two players in a row. Not a great message to the players agents.
  • If we get Gómez, wouldn’t like to see Antonio and Hugil as back-up. Play the same system. Chicha makes everything weird as a lone striker. I think Antonio is the only player that can dominate a front line like Arnie did. Would prefer him on the right supporting Gómez as a right sided - sometimes drifting to number 9 role. I do love Antonio.
  • Think people forget we’ve still got hugill :whistle:
  • Maybe if hugill were given the chance, he would shine. Positive thoughts!
  • Well, he's being given a chance to impress in pre-season. Let's see if Pelle thinks he's got what it takes.
  • He was given a chance by Boro in the Championship and they don't appear to want him back, which I think tells us everything we need to know about his ability to do it in the PL.
  • I agree with IBL

While it can be admirable our track record isn't especially good at cashing in on players, often losing a lot of money

It's a hard one to gauge, but teams around us are selling players for huge sums for players that havent got half the talent as Payet/Arnie etc
  • Playing under Pullis in the Championship is hardly a strikers paradise.
  • It’s by no means easy for the club, and yes I agree that the players do in the main hold most of the cards, but comboned Payet and Arnie have cost us around £40-50m in lost revenue imo

It’s pretty much on record that when Payet told Slav about his situation and wish to leave, the manager wanted him gone ASAP, however the owners decided to give him a nice little bonus/contract and ask him to stay until the end of the season - possible £25m lost and the cost of the new bonus/contract

Arnie is said to have left MP infuriated in January and once again we’ve lost out on about £20m

Realize that if the owners had cashed in on Payet there could’ve been a backlash, however had they staged his well rumoured case of leaving that could’ve been managed, the same with Arnie

The problem here is that Sully doesn’t have the full backing of the majority of fans imo, therefore many don’t trust him, even when he is trying to do what’s right, however you look at it he owns that relationship the way it is. Therefore he’s always wary of a Burnley style backlash and negative publicity - but I would’ve loved it if he had of told either of these players you only go on our terms otherwise I’ll pay for you to be with the stiffs/reserves myself
  • Yes of course you were!

Rarely do I get wound up about a player in the modern game, but he has properly got to me

Anyway as I’ve said before my other 5 posts, we move on :lol:

• edited July 2019
    Hugill/Arnautovich perfectly represent our buying/selling ability don't they.

Hugill
    2008–2009 Seaham Red Star
    2009–2010 Consett
    2011 Jerez Industrial
    2011–2012 Whitby Town
    2012 → Marske United (loan)
    2013–2014 Port Vale 20 (4)
    2013 → Gateshead (loan) 7 (5)
    2014–2018 Preston North End 103 (23)
    2015 → Tranmere Rovers (loan) 6 (1)
    2015 → Hartlepool United (loan) 8 (4)
    2018– West Ham United 3 (0)
    2018–2019 → Middlesbrough (loan) 37 (6)

Hugill reportedly cost £10 million from PNE (revenge for the 1964 FA Cup defeat :biggrin: )

Arnautovich
    2006–2010 Twente 44 (12)
    2009–2010 → Inter Milan (loan) 3 (0)
    2010–2013 Werder Bremen 72 (14)
    2013–2017 Stoke City 125 (22)
    2017–2019 West Ham United 59 (21)
    2019– Shanghai SIPG 0 (0)

We sell Arnie for £22.4 million.

:weep:
  • To be fair he was prolific at Hartlepool and Gateshead
  • I saw him score for us...against Dagenham
  • Spanish journalist Julio Insa claims Everton have just offered £33m for Maxi Gomez

I think the club needs to learn from Payet and Arnie and sell when they have highest value.

If I remember correctly (and I might be wrong) we accepted a big offer from PSG for Payet and he turned down the move because he only wanted to go to Marsielle.
  • ASLEF

That story was going the rounds a couple of days ago, and would rather seem to be trumped by our most recent reported bid.
  • Re Hugill, personally think the only person to blame is Moyes, a big favour to his old team, IMO....was never good enough, and he just wanted to help Preston out....That's all IMO of course!
  • My dad must be itk because he just text me saying “Maxi Gomez”
  • Not of course his fault but Hugill is right up there amongst the most ghastly signings this club has made in recent times. Even with the benefit of hindsight this was signing was as puzzling as they come. If I was to be generous I would say he is bottom third of champ standard at very best. My guess is Pelle will be giving him game action in this pre-season mainly to make sure he is in tip top shape for when a club (hopefully) comes along and takes him off our hands.
  • Which makes me think thank you that moyes didn’t stay in charge of our transfer budget for a season
  • I’m hoping Hugill has a Stevie Jones type role this season (with a beauty against Spurs).
This discussion has been closed.