Transfer rumours and speculation to take us through to summer.

Comments

• Our best window of opportunity was in Jan when the Arnie situation kicked off. We may possibly have pulled it off then. We probably shouldn’t have resurrected it in the summer if the noises were Valencia/CL was his preference. We are turning this into another Bacca
  • But is it not Celta Vigo not getting the offer they want that is holding the deal up?
    If Valencia don't come up with a satisfactory offer, and we do, then Gomez will have a decision to make, either stay at Celta or come to us.
    That doesn't make him a mercenary or another Arnie wannabe as has been written by some, quite unfairly imo.
  • According to reports Celta agreed a deal with Valencia and with West Ham and its down to the player.
  • Time for the Jedi Mind meld.

"Valencia is not the club your looking for"...
  • Last reports I read said they haven't agreed with Valencia or us.
  • Which reports, and what is their relative trustworthiness/up-to-date-ness?
  • edited July 2019
    Sky Sports news updated their previous report (which had been cited by most of the media as the source for reports that a fee had been agreed).

A couple of hours ago, this:
    Although both West Ham and Valencia previously had offers of £29m plus add-ons accepted by Celta, they are now believed to be demanding £45m.

One source has told Sky Sports News the Hammers are prepared to meet a £40m release clause in the Uruguayan's contract.'

Other outlets, blogs and twitterers have different versions. I don't know which one to believe.
  • “Our player has a release clause of £40m, but we want £45m”

:hmm:
  • It's almost as if Sky haven't got a clue what they're doing
  • Ex Whu reckons we will know by the end of today. I have no problem going for players Pellegrini wants, things have been delayed by Gomez playing in Copa . I don't see it as like Bacca yet as we still have plenty of time and other options if he does n't join. I can understand if he wants to stay in Spain he knows the league,the language and get champions league football. Any way time to refresh Newsnow and read the same story reported 15 different ways again :lol:
  • Our best window of opportunity was in Jan when the Arnie situation kicked off.

Celta weren't interested in selling at that point. They were in a relegation battle, and were not interested in losing Gomez.
  • But if I’m not mistaken there was still an active release clause so they would have been powerless to stop it?
  • edited July 2019
    alderz said:

“Our player has a release clause of £40m, but we want £45m”

:hmm:

Unless this comment has gone over my head, that looks to be a typo. €45m = £40m approximately. I’ve seen lots of places state the €45m release clause.
  • But if I’m not mistaken there was still an active release clause so they would have been powerless to stop it?

Maybe, I'm not sure.

Of course, we might not think he's worth the full amount (or wasn't worth it, to us, at that time).
  • I’ve got no issue with any player signing for us and moving on if while there here they perform and behave like the nobles but I’m against players like payet and arnie who show lack of class
  • We put a release clause in Arnie’s new contract but with an expiry date of mid June which seems odd. Obviously they’ve thought or known all along that they’d be getting shot in this window but didn’t want to risk nobody wanting him.
  • We put a release clause in Arnie’s new contract but with an expiry date of mid June which seems odd. Obviously they’ve thought or known all along that they’d be getting shot in this window but didn’t want to risk nobody wanting him.

:hmm: an expiry date....just like a rotten egg :ok:
  • My understanding is that In Spain if a club meets the release clause of a player they have to deposit the entire amount with La Liga immediately then complete the negotiation.
  • edited July 2019

We put a release clause in Arnie’s new contract but with an expiry date of mid June which seems odd. Obviously they’ve thought or known all along that they’d be getting shot in this window but didn’t want to risk nobody wanting him.

I've seen it described as a 'good will gesture by the club', after he agreed to sign the new contract. Not quite sure how that's working. Is is a good will gesture to have it? To make it time-limited? Or the actual amount of it?
  • Re Gomez, if I’mnot mistaken, was it not that there was a release clause active in Jan, which would have become significantly less in the summer had Celta been relegated (and they were flirting with relegation at the time)?
  • Sky sources understand Maxi Gomez’s preferred destination is now West Ham.

For the Hammers to seal the transfer, they must meet the £45m release clause. Personal terms are not expected to be a problem.

Valencia had reached an agreement which involved three players, including former Celta Vigo forward Santi Mina, plus cash in exchange for Gomez.

The value of Valencia’s deal amounted to the £45m release clause. We understand that the deal went as far as the three players arriving at Celta Vigo for their medicals – only for those medicals to be halted.
  • Edson Alverez (Mexico) being linked. Has always looked impressive at centre back.
  • Sky sources understand Maxi Gomez’s preferred destination is now West Ham.We understand that the deal went as far as the three players arriving at Celta Vigo for their medicals – only for those medicals to be halted.

thorn, is this a quote from Sky? have you got a link?
  • 45m is nutty if it happens and I wonder where that leaves Maripan / Rondon on our shopping list.

Still expect a load more exits.
  • It’s on the Sky Sports website transfer news and also Sky Sports News channel (not that that necessarily means anything)
  • that would be 70m on two players.

and we have sold 8m Fernandes 4m Perez (22.5m soon to be Arnie) 34m.

Our budget would already be exhausted. Unless we can raise funds from Hernandez / Obiang / Hugill / Byram / Oxford etc I cant see us getting any further money to support deals for Rondon and Maripan.
  • It’s on the Sky Sports website transfer news and also Sky Sports News channel (not that that necessarily means anything)

:ok:
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11757252/celta-vigos-maxi-gomez-still-being-chased-by-west-ham-and-valencia

It has been updated since the last time I saw it, that's why I asked.
  • Yeold

Our budget would already be exhausted.

Only if the reported guesstimate was, in fact our budget. Personally, I never had much faith in the figure; I think the club will spend what they need to this window.
  • The board seem to have a smoke and mirrors approach these days
This discussion has been closed.