Transfer rumours and speculation to take us through to summer.

Comments

• Didn’t Wolves lose £1m a week in their promotion season?

I don't know. Did they?

On top of the £23m loss the year before.

Is that figure taken from their published accounts for that period?

If you want to argue that FFP rules aren't being enforced, then you first have to establish that they've been breached. Bear in mind that the losses clubs are permitted to post are over a 3yr period. Also, promotion to the PL will bring in vastly more sums of money from TV broadcasting revenues alone, never mind other income - so spending will automatically increase.

If you want to argue that the FFP rules are not restrictive enough because they haven't stopped Wolves spending to improve themselves, you also have to consider how much is down to spend and how much is down to savviness and good management. Look at Fulham - they spent lots, but it didn't do them much good.

I don't think it is right to look at 1 club that (arguably) spent wisely, and reaped the benefits, and say 'it's not fair, we need the rules to stop them'.
  • Not for nothing, but what have Citeh been found guilty of re: FFP? Isn't the latest stuff 'alleged'?
  • Mrs G

Figures directly from Wolves’ website 5th March. So it would be safe to say they are believable

And give that they themselves put this down to transfer fees, wages, etc, yes I do fully stand by my view that they have bought themselves a fast track to the Prem.

• Just seen us linked to Shaqiri at Liverpool for £22.5 Mio in the Metro :hmm:
  • Just seen us linked to Shaqiri at Liverpool for £22.5 Mio in the Metro :hmm:

Please NO !!!!! Not good enough imo
  • Cresswell is a proven PL left-back. He is not yet 30. No way will we only get £8m. Maybe £15m was generous but we will certainly get around the £12m mark. Guaranteed, IMO.

Obiang will go for more than we paid (we paid £5m). Hernandez cost £16m, we will make a loss but he is a proven PL striker who scores goals.
  • Tottenham have made a bid of about 60m euros (£53m) for Real Betis midfielder Giovani Lo Celso.

But Lo Celso has a 100m euro (£88m) release clause and it is understood Betis want to sell him for a fee closer to that amount.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48433820

Levy does this a lot, yet people still slate Sully when he tries it.
  • Tottenham have made a bid of about 60m euros (£53m) for Real Betis midfielder Giovani Lo Celso.

But Lo Celso has a 100m euro (£88m) release clause and it is understood Betis want to sell him for a fee closer to that amount.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48433820

Levy does this a lot, yet people still slate Sully when he tries it.
    And lets hold our hands up, who has even heard of Lo Celso, at 1st I though it was the South African Swimmer Chad Le Clos.
  • Cullen: “West Ham want me back for pre-season. All I can do is perform. There’s no point in talking off the pitch, you’ve just got to perform on the pitch when you can. I’ve enjoyed a good season at Charlton and hopefully I can go back to West Ham and hit the ground running.”
  • Could be a good option...

"I need to be in the Premier League."

"If something arises that is the right thing for me, I'll have to seriously consider it."

Jack Butland to @talkSPORTDrive on a possible move away from Stoke City.
  • I think we will be lucky to get 8 for Cress.
  • Stoke will want £20m for him & we won’t pay that for a keeper who will be number 1 in a year or 2. We do need to be careful about who we sign though as Fab is 33. We need one for the future.
  • edited May 2019

Mrs G

Figures directly from Wolves’ website 5th March. So it would be safe to say they are believable

I've just tried to look - what a dreadful website - how can anyone ever find anything?

You get the 6 most recent articles, and if you want to go further back you have to 'load more' in batches of 6. No search box.
  • edited May 2019
    :biggrin:
  • 'Bury the bad news' comes to mind :lol:
  • edited May 2019
    Found it :phew:

https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/club/20190305-headline-financial-information-for-201718/

:ok:

Figures as you say.

So, let's see if they exceed the 3 year limit when the new accounts are submitted.

You can't say whether or not FFP is working until we see what happens IF they breach it.

Presumably you want caps on spending on an annual basis. But would this be justifiable and realistic? You have to allow some leeway for the clubs to vary their spending from year to year - high to rebuild an ageing squad and then not as much in subsequent year as it isn't needed?
  • Mrs G

Overall I just think there is a big problem. When many talk of the top aspiration as being “best of the rest” (and not just at West Ham), it just cannot be right.

As for Wolves - turnover around £27m, loss of £50m. How on Earth?!! You cannot easily justify it - this isn’t a start up company after all. They basically took a massive financial gamble and it paid off (via promotion). What if it hadn’t? When it comes to promotion from the champ things are far from certain.
  • It’s a problem that you have to be an accountant and a PI to be able to find a team’s accounts. Things should be far more transparent
  • Yep Alderz

Even in our May 18 accounts we show a PROFIT on player disposals of almost £30m.

Crikey? How did that happen? Because the Payet sale was the year before. I’m struggling to think of what could have comprised that?
  • They aren't that dificult to find, alderz, really.

For west ham, you go to the website and 1 click takes you to Corporate Information, and 1 more to an index page for all the financial statements. Then you just pick the one you want.

For Bournemouth, you use the search box, and it takes you straight to the relevant page....

I haven't looked at all the other clubs because

well

I don't want to. :biggrin:
  • Yep Alderz

Even in our May 18 accounts we show a PROFIT on player disposals of almost £30m.

Crikey? How did that happen? Because the Payet sale was the year before. I’m struggling to think of what could have comprised that?

I'm not going to go into the details of who we sold for how much, but you can make a profit on player disposals even if you sell for less than you buy for (in the accounts that is).

Just as an example, we buy a player for £100m (haha, but just keeping the figures easy) on a 4 year contract.

Given that he can walk away after 4 years and we get nothing, from an accounting point of view, you would usually write off his transfer fee over the length of his contract, so his transfer fee effectively costs us £25m a year for each of the 4 years he's at the club. This means his book value is £75m after 1 year, £50m after 2 years and £25m after 3 years.

If we sold him after 3 years for £50m, we'd all be gutted that we lost £50m on a player, but the accounts would show a profit on player disposals of £25m as his book value at that point is only £25m.
  • According to Australian broadcaster SBS we're one of six Premier League clubs interested in Huddersfield's Aaron Mooy, the others being Wolves, Watford, Newcastle, Southampton and Leicester.

Definitely meh...
  • If we were looking at that level of player, I would far rather see Cullen given a run in the squad/side.

tbh, I'd rather see him given a go anyway; I've always liked what I've seen of him, and he's 23 now.
  • Andy Carroll and Adrian to leave West Ham United.

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2019/may/29-may/andy-carroll-and-adrian-leave-west-ham-united
    I bet no one saw that coming. ;)
  • Nasri aswell so plenty of wages freed up :wave:
  • According to the BBC article about it we are also looking to sell Hernandez and Perez
  • I see Toni Martinez is also leaving. Part of the policy of buying a “prospect” from overseas, putting them in the dev squad and then it ultimately going nowhere.

I predict the same fate for Xande maybe this time next year.

Never understood why we do this time and again.
  • Andy Carroll and Adrian to leave West Ham United.

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2019/may/29-may/andy-carroll-and-adrian-leave-west-ham-united
    I bet no one saw that coming. ;)

Not unexpected, and the right thing to do, but I still feel a little bit sad.
  • I guess it's a low risk way of trying to unearth a jewel. We have Silva and Dju that, as you say, may go the same way, but they haven't cost a lot and will, at worse, improve our U23s.
  • Andy Carroll it was inevitable but sadly ur body just cannot cope with the demands of PL football these days, such a shame as we all know, when he was fit he was more than a handful for the opposition, I wish him well wherever he ends up, apart from when he should face us!.
This discussion has been closed.