Transfer rumours and speculation to take us through to summer.

Comments

• I dont mind

Ngl I'm bored of the top 6 blowing us out the water financially

Was happy when City shock things up, have no problem with Newcastle doing it (plus they've been underperforming given the size of their club)

Only thing I'm salty about is why cant it be us...
  • We don't own a stadium now, so its less likely to ever be us.
  • Neither did Man City when they were taken
  • edited May 2019
    Anybody with mega bucks would come in & buy the London Stadium outright. The LLDC & E20 London would have no real negotiating power given it runs at a loss as it is.
  • Twitter saying the potential new Newcastle owners are not rich in the Man City sense. More David Sullivan rich.
  • This is one of the points I was going to raise, Luke.

I’m pretty non-plussed right now.

We finished on a high (perhaps one or two of our opponents lacked a bit of intensity to help us). But for me it was a pretty ordinary season overall. Yes some good wins against Man U, Arsenal and Spurs, however many other sides managed to turn over that trio too.

I can’t see significant progress under our current ownership. I’m pleased Sully has kept quiet most of the season, however for me Sully and Brady in particular base themselves on spin over substance. One of the end of season Sully pieces mentions memorable moments. However for me this season there weren’t many at all truth be told.

The only thing to get me genuinely excited would be if we had new owners. Ones who can buy their way out of the farce that is the current London Stadium. And somehow turn it into a football stadium that might be able to cater for other things, as opposed to an athletics stadium that can accommodate football. For me one of reasons in recent decades why we have managed to be in the top flight more than we haven’t was the intensity of Upton Park and how it was a significant challenge for away sides to prevail there. I don’t think it is a big deal for any side now to come to the LS and pick us off. The thought of Sully passing the club down to his sons is very worrying.

I fully believe Pelle has merited staying on next season. However if indeed he is one of the highest paid managers in the league, I don’t believe he merits that based on the season just gone. Neither am I wholly convinced on his defensive coaching abilities. But who knows, maybe his hands are tied?

Right now I’m not expecting much more from next season compared to the one just gone.
  • Hamstew said:

Twitter saying the potential new Newcastle owners are not rich in the Man City sense. More David Sullivan rich.

Are any of the people tweeting this likely to know?

I mean, is anybody putting out that info either quoting a reputable source, or have they looked at the company accounts or anything like that, do you know, ham?

Because twitter in itself isn't itk. And as I'm not in twitter, I can't judge for myself :puzzled:
  • From the Daily Star (I know :doh: )
    His personal wealth is unclear but his family's wealth is thought to be around £150billion.

But it will be the company 'Bin Zayed Group' that will own the club, if the purchase goes ahead.
  • edited May 2019
    It's easy to romanticise the 'Boleyn effect'. Our performances in the LS have not been significantly less than recent seasons at the Boleyn, and I'm pretty sure if you kept going back that wouldn't change. People still talk about 'Upton Park under the lights' when that hadn't been a factor for years and years. We've never been relegated from the LS...

Season - W/D/L

London Stadium
    18/19- 9/4/6
    17/18 - 7/6/6
    16/17 - 7/4/8

Boleyn
    15-16 - 9/7/3
    14-15 - 9/4/6
    13-14 - 7/3/9
    12-13 - 9/6/4
    10-11 - 5/5/9

Personally, I do see progress. I think our squad is in better shape than it has been for years, and whilst it didn't always click, when we played the way Pelle clearly expects us to play the football was as good as anything I've seen from us in a long time.

Finally, we have a manager and a squad who are at least prepared to take it to any team they come up against, rather than trying to nick something in the last 10 minutes of a heroic defensive display.

Most seasons, I can't see us (or any other team outside the top 6) doing anything but challenge for the 'best of the rest' spot, which is to say 7th. Even with a horror show start, and some right ropey performances, we still managed to do that this season.

I'm looking forward to next season.
  • Sheikh Khaled tried to buy Liverpool last year for £2bn so I think he's a bit above the David Sullivan level.
  • Having a billionaire owner is not a guarantee of success, very few pump large amounts of money into clubs Man City PSG are the exceptions. Being worth a billion does not mean you have a billion to spend . David Sullivan is reported to be a billionaire and Sullivan worth 450M according to a quick search on google
  • Pearces :ok:

I think much of Sullivan's wealth is in his property portfolio, which is obviously not the same as having disposable cash. Of course, he could flog it all and pump it into the club, but he isn't going to.
  • But these new Newcastle owners are in a league above, FFP will not stop them dishing out the hard bucks to secure the players they need. If they are Man City rich or even remotely close they would more than likely break FFP one or two windows to get to where they need to and take a few fines slapped on them.

Man City are not going to get thrown out of Europe and will continue to breach FFP rules and just accept a fine.

Money talks when it comes to the footballing bodies of FIFA / UEFA/ The FA
  • edited May 2019

Man City are not going to get thrown out of Europe and will continue to breach FFP rules and just accept a fine.

Transfer ban? Squad size reductions? We've seen then both imposed.

It's no good having pots of money if you are aren't allowed to spend it. And these sanctions are, arguably, more effective on the rich clubs than fines (which they can more easily afford to pay).

Sanctions can also include banning any increase in player wages. Again, making it harder for them to recruit.
  • Finally, we have a manager and a squad who are at least prepared to take it to any team they come up against, rather than trying to nick something in the last 10 minutes of a heroic defensive display.

This part is particularly big for me. It doesn’t always work, sometimes we are bad, but I enjoy seeing us have a go at teams, and get the occasional upset
  • MrsGrey said:

It's no good having pots of money if you are aren't allowed to spend it. And these sanctions are, arguably, more effective on the rich clubs than fines (which they can more easily afford to pay).

Sanctions can also include banning any increase in player wages. Again, making it harder for them to recruit.
    And what exactly has it done to Man City ? they just won a domestic treble ? they don't care.
  • Ex reporting we may go up to 30 mil to secure Gomes.
  • McHammer said:

Ex reporting we may go up to 30 mil to secure Gomes.

Isn't that all of the reported budget?

I reckon we should try and focus on making a couple of very impressive signings like Gomes & Gomez?
  • Obiang would leave if we bought Gomes. We could get maybe £8m-£10m for him?
  • MrsGrey said:

And what exactly has it done to Man City ? they just won a domestic treble ? they don't care.
    So you want FFP sanctions to include 'thou shalt be disqualified from winning anything'?
  • :hmm: silly me thinking we had signed someone instead its all about Newcastle should have known better :biggrin:
  • Obiang £10m
    Cresswell £15m
    Hernandez £12m
    Pérez £5m

£42m, added to the rumoured £30m budget. That’s another £70m before we sell any big name players.

I think all that is achievable for those four.
  • In what topsy turvy world does Cresswell cost more than Chicarito?!
  • I read it was £2m for Perez to Alaves.
  • MrsGrey said:

MrsGrey said:

So you want FFP sanctions to include 'thou shalt be disqualified from winning anything'?
    I'm illustrating my point that it doesn't mean anything for City, if they are that far ahead that they can break the rules consistently and the punishment dealt to them has done nothing to set them back, then the punishment clearly isn't affecting anything they do. They have in essence used the extra advantage to take a mile and being hit with a fine whilst keeping their extra mile advantage. The fine doesn't rebalance anything it just lines the pockets of UEFA and The FA.
  • alderz said:

In what topsy turvy world does Cresswell cost more than Chicarito?!

I think we'd do well to get £8m for Cresswell.

We'll make a loss on Hernadez, if we sell, but should get around £10m.

Obiang and Perez will go for less than Lukerz's valuations, too.

So if we ship those four I think we'll only get £25-27m tops.
  • Football Insider (whoever they are) says that Everton have enquired about Cresswell as a replacement for Leighton Baines and we've asked for £8m.
  • The Sun reporting that Fernandes is going to Mainz for £8m
  • It’s not just Man City. Didn’t Wolves lose £1m a week in their promotion season? On top of the £23m loss the year before. Effectively buying themselves a fast track pass to the premier league. And immediately shelling £100m once there. Were they punished or adversely affected at all? Not from what I can see. Maybe the rules themselves are flawed. There seems little or no disincentive for the likes of wolves to do what they have done
This discussion has been closed.