The Transfer Window 2: Electric Boogaloo

Comments

• edited July 2018
    We've already brought in 7 with weeks to go. The way it seems they've been planning/studying for a fair time I'd guess (with people like Drinkwater in mind) they have targets still and, as we all know, those last knockings of the transfer window always throw up opportunities (buying or loaning from top 6 clubs MF or further afield).

I dont particularly want Obiang to go but I do actually trust Pelle and H'loss have got things in hand allied to Sullivan backing them in terms of ins and outs

Then again, I've been accused of trusting too much and being a bit on the naive side ;hmm
  • I like both Kouyate and Obiang. Kouyate has in particular served the team well. If they are sold we need two replacements of first team quality. Otherwise we would be woefully short in midfield.
  • Im happy for both to go if it means we can get in an upgrade, but i'd prefer we get a little more than £10mil for each

In an ideal world though i'd prefer we keep Obiang, just feel he has enough about him to do well this year
  • Strong links up here in Scotland linking us with a £3 million move for Rangers star Josh Windass (son of Dean). He is a goalscoring winger/attacking midfielder and has had a few run ins with the fans. Can be lazy at times. Scores lots away from home but struggles when teams sit back against Rangers at home.

Not sure we need him tbh
  • Given Snodgrass seems like hes done enough to stay (somehow) it seems a bit unneccesary

We also have Holland who impressing again in preseason and Sead & Samuelsen whos futures are still

Guess at £3mil though its a pretty low risk move, especially if Antonio moves on as expected
  • Lukerz said:

Obiang for less than 10m is ridiculous. just outright reject the bid as laughable.

Out of him and Kouyate he is the one I’d keep, but at present £10m is about right. He is a CM who doesn’t do anything overly well. He’s not attacking, creative or defensive, doesn’t score regularly or assist often, so I’d say £10m is about right. Kouyate is the more valuable player (at his best you know he is a powerhouse who drives through midfield) but he’s lost all the qualities he used to have, probably just gone stale and needs a change.
    He defends well and keeps play moving. Until his injury he was playing okay nothing brilliant but in todays market. A first team premier league player in his Prime at 10m is laughable. Do you think Southampton would sell Romeu for 10m ?

I would be looking at a minimum of 15m each for Obiang and Kouyate. Nothing less.
  • Tbf Romeu is Southamptons best player, or at least one of their top ones

Kouyate has been a decent player for us but this season he was pretty woeful and the season before was pretty poor again

Add that he lacks the passing ability for Pellegrinis system and is 28, think £12-14mil is fair game

Pretty sure pellegrini said in his conference anyone who leaves will be replaced
  • I was referring more to Obiang than Kouyate but still feel 15m for Kouyate should be the minimum we ask for also.
  • We have too many central midfielders who don't have a shot on them. I would say Noble, Kouyate, Obiang (apart from the spurs goal) maybe Jack lack the ability to ping one in from the edge of the box on a regular basis.

I would be happy to cash in on Kouyate.
  • Obiang gives some balance, is good at getting himself around in those midfield areas and has the most ambition (and often ability) to play passes that start counter attacks. When he's on form.

Kouyate's a very dynamic players, who pushes the game forward when he's playing well.

They both have flaws and I'm not against either going for the right price but they also offer what our other CMs don't. Noble, Wilshere, Cullen (and Rice) are all a bit similar. Fernandes feels like filler whenever he plays - it looks good but I'm not sure what he does.

We'd need to see replacements who add the kinds of things Obiang and Kouyate do - definitely not someone like Drinkwater.

• BARCA TO WATCH QUINA

Barcelona are sending an official to Finland on Thursday to watch West Ham’s highly-rated teenager Domingos Quina play in the U19 European Championship semi-finals.

Sky sources understand Barca will discuss the possibility of a deal to sign the Portugal youngsters, who has been impressing scouts during the tournament.

Sky Sports News reported earlier this week that Barcelona were the latest club to inquire about Quina’s availability.

• edited July 2018
    Watching Obiang last night (& the fact he got another 45 mins), he didn't strike me as somebody who looks to be off in the immediate future. Was very engaged & animated.
  • Given the way the rumour mill 'works' (for a given value of 'work, obvs.), it could be that

there is nothing in the rumour at all;

the club have said they would like him to stay, but if he wants to do the off they won't stand in his way;

the club want shot as they have a replacement in mind, but need the squad space;

a mixture of some of the above;

none of the above.

I hope that clears things up. ;puzzled
  • As clear a puddle of mud.
  • Still think we need to balance the books somehow

Dunno who but expect to see several outgoings

Hope antonio and Obiang have done enough to convince Pellgrini to keep them

Oxford, Quina, Byram, Kouyate and Hugill could probably recoup about £30mil think that wouldnt weaken us too much
  • I'd assume if Hugill and Kouyate left they would need replacing, so I'm not sure that would balance the books that much.
  • I would expect a little more than £30m for those players. I think we should only consider offers that are at least as per the below, if not more given the over inflated market.

Oxford - £10-15m
    Quina - £5-10m
    Byram - £5m
    Kouyate - £10-15m
    Hugill - £10m
  • Went for the latest rumour values

Oxford £10m (sky?)
    Quima £0.6m (apparantly)
    Kouyate £10m (Palace rumoured bid)
    Byram £4m (recoup)
    Hugill £5m (we will make a loss)
  • edited July 2018

I'd assume if Hugill and Kouyate left they would need replacing, so I'm not sure that would balance the books that much.

I think we already need one forward to replace Andy. If we got one in, then maybe Arnie, Hernandez & the new ST would be enough, with the likes of Antonio, Anderson, Yarmolenko etc being able to stand in if necessary. I don't see any future here for Hugill, especially as he's been omitted from the last two pre-season games.
  • Grey, you could argue that pretty much anyone we could end up selling would need to be replaced

Think we could afford to lose Hugill without needing a replacement if it means we can generate some cash

Wouldnt be surprised to see the club replace them with loanees or freebies (linked with free agent Ben Arfa today)
  • edited July 2018
    No club is going to pay £5-10m for Quina.

He is untested (never mind unproven) at senior level.

What club that would want him to go straight into the 1st team can afford that kind of money? What club that wants him 'for the future' would be willing t pay that?

Any financial benefit to us is going to come from a % of his sell-on fees 5 years down the line.
  • Can't recall this window anyone at the club including Pelle and Sullivan saying that we need to sell to balance the books.
    Pelle even this week stated that if anyone left we'd need to look at replacing them.
  • Don't get this assumption that we need to balance the books; the club spent very little money last summer (around £35m) on fees & we've recouped a lot since then too, as well as before (Payet etc). I hope the club have 1) realised that in order to progress we have to match the spending of other clubs & 2) decided that having a quality manager on paper who they can trust, means that they are prepared to offer him a higher budget.
  • edited July 2018
    As it stands, we have 25 senior players * ** (26 if you include Moses Makasi) currently at the club, so it is not like we are overloaded with players.

I would imagine that from this point, the club will be taking the position of only bringing in a player if we lose a player.

* where senior = over 21 to be included in 25 list

** if my working out is correct
  • I agree with you lukerz but guess people like me are thinking about ffp and how that pans out for us so maybe assume we may have to let some go
  • edited July 2018
    In talks with Inter over another Joao Mario loan, according to DiMarzio. Inter babe softened their stance on a permanent sale.
  • Inter have a babe doing transfers? ;hmm
  • Inter have a babe doing transfers? ;hmm

;lol

Meant to read ‘have’ but I’ve done a ‘pards’ on the old predictive ;lol
  • I just thought you must know them really well. ;carew
  • edited July 2018
    'Pards' ;lol

He was right about Harry Maguire.

He is a legend ;bowdown (pards)
This discussion has been closed.