The Transfer Window 2: Electric Boogaloo

Comments

• Ok, I had a bit of giggle last Friday as I went to Soldier Field to watch Man City vs Borussia Dortmund.

it was slightly unfortunate as Man City had 16 players at the World Cup so it was really their reserves, I truly only knew three names on the team sheet, Mahrez, Sane and a certain Joe Hart, and even he was on the bench!

To be fair he came on in the second half and played quite well with at least one really good save.

The player who caught my eye was Christian Pulisic of Dortmund, a couple of my work colleagues were talking about him as he is a rising star in the America’s, he is only 19 and looks a real talent.

He is not massive but very quick and he made a number of really great runs, certainly stood out from amongst the crowd, I notice that he got a couple against Liverpool yesterday.

There are reports that he could not accept the man of the match award against Liverpool as the sponsor is Heineken and he is under the legal drinking age, some stuff you cannot make up.

In any case, I know we are in preseason mode but I would certainly mark him down as one to watch in the future
  • Pulisic has been well thought of for a while

Only 19 but class when ive seen him, Klopp sounds like he wants him
  • There is certainly enough noise around him that I would not be surprised to see a top club make a move on him, however, imo, his next move is important as he needs to be playing and not just sitting on bench,

I have no idea how much such a prospect commands but he must be on a number of radar screens.
  • You'll like him even more after this -

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44925608
  • edited July 2018
    I have never seen Oxford play well. He has good control of the ball, but doesn’t do much with it. Defensively he is a ghost. I do like the look of Quina, I thought he was good against Arsenal, but I don’t care much if he leaves. Rice can go if he wants 40k a week to make basic errors. Just my opinion - not facts!
  • I have never seen Oxford play well.

Opening game 15/16 season, Arsenal away, we won 2-0. He played as a DM and played a blinder.
  • I still think Oxford could be the answer to our DM question. I’d love him to stay for the season and try to break in, and if he can’t then let him go next summer.
  • I don’t think Oxford had a blinder. He had a good game, but nothing special for that role. I think because of his age at the time it was impresive, also beating Arsenal. I Was maybe exgerating thr never play well - maybe just never shows up anymore.
  • maybe just never shows up anymore.

He’s been on loan the last year, it’s not like he’s had much chance to impress.
  • I think it's important though that young players are also considered in terms of their football future. Burke, Oxford & Quina, for whatever reason, have been made available for sale. I would say none of those are above bottom half Championship level, as it stands, but all have potential. But it is also only fair for the club to consider what they might want, & maybe what they want is to be playing & making a name for themselves now, & not waiting 'another year or two' to see if they can push into the team here. Burke now has the chance to play regularly for Hull, something I'm sure he is delighted about albeit I'm sure he'd ideally have wanted to make it here. We have already seen this week that Cullen & Holland are apparently well rated by Pelle, & Rice is obviously a current first team/11 player. They can't all make it & they can't all play.
  • I agree completely, and the club have gotten far more right than wrong. I remember being very upset at Spence, Chambers, Potts, Moncur, Turgott and Fanimo didn’t make it, but was wrong about them all. I trust the club to get it right, but I will continue to be upset about young players I believed in to not make the great
  • edited July 2018
    Think folks can cross Pulisic off their wish list:
    Real Madrid have enquired about signing 19-year-old Borussia Dortmund and USA midfielder Christian Pulisic, who is valued at £60m.
    From BBC gossip, quoting the Mail
  • edited July 2018
    Sky Sports: West Ham in advanced talks with Sampdoria over the sale of Pedro Obiang. The final decision will be left with Obiang should a fee be agreed, which is likely to be in the region of £9m.
  • Hopefully not true.

Really can't see the logic of further depleting our midfield. We need another midfielder as it is, IMO. Selling Obiang, particularly for the figure that's being bandied about on social media, would be utterly pointless.
  • The article does say ‘we are told that West Ham will move for Southampton midfielder Mario Lemina, should he leave’.
  • All the more reason to keep Pedro.
  • I actually like Lemina. Not convinced he's any better than Obiang though.

And even if we were to move for him, if Southampton won't sell or he doesn't want to come, then we could find ourselves in a bit of a pickle.
  • Ex-whuemployee is stating we are very interested in Paraguayan international forward Angel Romero .I don't know anything about him but his goal scoring record of eleven from ninety six appearances for corinthians doesn't actually set the world alight. ;hmm
  • mike said:

Ex-whuemployee is stating we are very interested in Paraguayan international forward Angel Romero .I don't know anything about him but his goal scoring record of eleven from ninety six appearances for corinthians doesn't actually set the world alight. ;hmm

Know nothing about him, but he does look like Brian Cox ;hmm

IMG_20180724_095616
  • All the more reason to sign him,

;pray
  • 96 games god that be five years for AC lol
  • edited July 2018
    According to Transfermarket and Whoscored .coms, he is predominantly a right winger, which is Yarmo's position ;hmm
  • £9mil sounds like a low ball offer for a player who was our runner up to HOTY for the 16/17 season

I like Obiang but if Pellgrini thinks its faor game then who am i to argue

Still slightly worried about the lack of talk about a new Dm though....
  • I have never seen Oxford play well.

Opening game 15/16 season, Arsenal away, we won 2-0. He played as a DM and played a blinder.
    had a shocker against Shrewsbury in the FA Cup at home
  • Who didn't?
  • £9mil sounds like a low ball offer for a player who was our runner up to HOTY for the 16/17 season

That has nothing to do with value. HOTY isn't much more than a popularity contest. It's a fan vote.
  • No, but the fact he was our second best player in the eyes of the fans and plays a position we lack...then imo its a low ball offer
  • Michail Antonio crowned as the 2016/17 Betway Hammer of the Year
    Manuel Lanzini finishes as runner-up, with Pedro Obiang in third place

Read more at https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2017/may/09-may/antonio-crowned-betway-hammer-year#dGtMRVorBTj5AQgW.99

;hmm
  • Do you think that would be a good fee?
This discussion has been closed.