The Transfer Window 2: Electric Boogaloo

Comments

• Well i thought we had more attackers on the books......

That said if i were Holland, Sead or Samuelsen i'd be ready to stake a claim during preseason as there isnt a whole lot of depth on the wings
  • The question over Payet would be whether people would want to have someone who is a magician on the field or someone who is upstanding and honourable off it. Of course the answer would be to have both, but sometimes you can’t have everything.
  • That boat has sailed.

It's a no from me.
  • edited July 2018

The question over Payet would be whether people would want to have someone who is a magician on the field

....but who sometimes refuses to play.

Magician or no, you have to be able to rely on your players playing. All the magic in the world is no use if he's on strike.
  • Lets not forget he was also a bit of a luxuary who had the ability to change the game but also the ability to disappear for entire games and didnt particualrly like tracking back

Cant imagine hes gonna get more involved the older he gets
  • Isn't he injured at the moment ? that's why he did n't go to the world cup
  • Why are Marseille ready to let him go? Is he causing trouble there too now?
  • edited July 2018
    Must be a slow news day, it's made it into the Guardian;

https://theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/06/dimitri-payet-west-ham-marseille

Could do with a quote from the man himself though ;wink
  • That might be a bit difficult as he’s supposedly having an operation on his wisdom teeth (it’s in the BBC live text for the France-Uruguay game).
  • I'd be disappointed if we re-signed him.

Regardless of how good a player he is, he treated the club disgracefully when forcing through his move.

I'd sooner see us be a worse side, with better people playing for us, than let him waltz back in when it suits him.

That's a no, by the way.
  • No from me to .wrong side of 30 wont get back in the French squad so does not have much to play for .perhaps want one last pay day
  • Adam are they putting some in
  • I’d have him back in a heartbeat, nobody truly knows the reasons why he left, squad, ambition, personal.......I’ve never been one to sing songs about Frank or label Defoe a Judas.......

He’s the best player we've had since Di Canio and helped give us the best season for about 30 years. I’d love to go back to that season again or something close to it
  • He said we played boring football in the period where we were having to grind out results.

No season can be expected to go smoothly and easily. What will he do next time when you need to leave your ego in the dressing room and dig in on the pitch?

Can't be relied on.
  • I'd say he wasnt better than Arnie (who I liked before he came to us and even when he was struggling a bit), just different.

At the end of the day, if he came back I'd be staggered (most, if not all reasons people have already stated)

I've never had any issue with Frank Lampard. A temporary annoyance at Defoe which passed a long time ago.

With Payet though, I loved this guy (as most of us did)!!

But, and I know it sounds wussy, he hurt me. It was a joy to have such a creative player in our side and the team had me feeling for the first time in forever that we shouldnt fear any team! His behavior the season after felt like emotional betrayal.

If he comes back I repeat that I'll be staggered. But, in the unlikely event, he'll have to say and do some impressive things to get me back on side.
  • I would love to see Payet, Wiltshire and Arnie passing it triangles. Will be a joy to watch. In Payets second season he was isolated out on the touch line. We played awful football, and at his age I don’t blame him for taking the opportunity to enjoy his game again.
  • edited July 2018
    No news yet re Jack Wilshere, but in looking for stories, I found a report that claims he was on £90k/week last season. https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/jack-wilshere-edging-closer-to-west-ham-transfer-a3880101.html

Much has been made in earlier discussions and 'ITK news' (around the web, not necessarily on here) that he would have to take a drop in salary - but from a much much higher figure than that 90k. ;hmm
  • edited July 2018

Isn't he injured at the moment ? that's why he did n't go to the world cup

He hobbled off in the first half of the Europa League final with a thigh problem.

No to Payet, we've been here before with Cottee, MacAvennie, Dicks and Dowie. They're never as good as they were the first time (or just as bad in Dowie's case). The only exception has been Ginger.

And Pop Robson
  • MrsGrey said:

No news yet re Jack Wilshere, but in looking for stories, I found a report that claims he was on £90k/week last season. https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/jack-wilshere-edging-closer-to-west-ham-transfer-a3880101.html

Much has been made in earlier discussions and 'ITK news' (around the web, not necessarily on here) that he would have to take a drop in salary - but from a much much higher figure than that 90k. ;hmm

I think it was his salary demands not his salart. I’m guessing as he’s on a free he thinks he should get 50 percent more? Who knows.

Anyway Ex says an announcement is imminent.
  • Evening Standard says it will be announced today ;ok
  • sweepy23 said:

I think it was his salary demands not his salart.t

I had a nice salart with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber and olives.
  • It will be excellent if we get Wiltshire but as for Payett, well that’s a big fat NO from me.
  • Payet........
    IMO life is way 2 short.
    If he fancies he owes us who am I 2 argue.....
  • Reports we are signing a Paraguay defender from Corinthians, has Wiltshire be done yet ?
  • Payet. Why would he want to come back to us?
  • has Wiltshire be done yet ?

Well, it's still Friday in the UK, so there's still time ;wink
  • PLF, does he have a letter from St. Paul with him?
    ;biggrin
  • Why does Marseille want rid of him?
    They want more than they paid us for him.
    Does that mean they have his replacement already lined up?
    Fans on other forems are split re Payet.
    Some say if he apologised, they would welcome him with open arms.
    I wouldn't take him back on a silver platter!
    He threw his toys out of the pram till he got his move, like a petulant child.
    Then slagged off the manager who made him what he was!
    No loyalty, but accepted a loyalty bonus of £1m.
    No class!
  • They saying in the sun his club needs to cut costs that’s why he’s being touted, cryet I mean and no not a spelling mistake my grandson calls him that
This discussion has been closed.