The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• IMHO if & I'm praying we do stay up, it has very little to do with Moyes, & more the fact there are 3 worse teams than us.

And Leicester won the title not because they deserved it over the course of a season but because there were 19 worse teams than them.

Sorry but I think this argument doesn't work. I also think he should be given time. Look what he did at Everton when given time.
    "Look what he did at Everton .., "
    Sorry that also doesn't rub!...
    Donkeys years ago, and sadly IMO Moyes is stuck in that era, ancient...

But if that's your belief, fair do's...
    But it don't cut the mustard with me
  • And on top of that , people want
    Him to stay, although so far he is our worse manager in how long ;wave
  • I don't agree we need someone who wins trophies....but we need a manager who wins games...and presently his win percentage is pretty abysmal, like 20%, don't really understand why he's getting a free pass because statistically he hasn't exactly impressed

Surely any other 'caretaker manager' would be sacked if they were on about 20% win percentage

Dont see how you can say that Moyes has struggled because it isn't 'his team' yet dont want Silva, who won 8 of his first 9 home games upon arriving despite not having 'his team'
  • One aspect of our coaching staff that worries me is Stuart Pearce, he has a host of experience both on the pitch and on the coaching staff, has credibility, is passionate and respected.

So how is it that our defense is such a shambles?

At the end of the day, let’s address and focus on the task at hand, and that is to stay up.

For me I do not relish DM staying on but I hope and trust that the owners will be looking at all options available to them post season and will make a decision that reflects their desire not one made out of the “devil you know” or “no other choice “ bucket.

COYI

• Our defence is a shambles due to our lack of midfield cover.
  • Our defence is so bad because we have a midfield that is so easy to bypass and offer little protection

That and we always make errors which led to goals
  • edited May 2018
    Question is, is it Moyes, or is it the players, or a bit of both?

I mean if you look at the team, it needs massive investment, it really isn't very good. There certainly is a lack of competition for places:

Hart - regressing for a few years now (although I confess to thinking he was a good player)
    Zabaleta - see Hart, great pro, legs are gone, questioned his signing at the time
    Rice - youngster, bound to make errors due to his age
    Ogbonna - consistent and best defender this season (worth building around), but still part of the leagues poorest defence
    Cresswell - has been regressing for the past two seasons now, great under Bilic in season one, but very average the last two years, yet still a nailed on starter when fit
    Masuaku - talented, but raw, needs more time (is he first choice material, or does he need more bedding in time behind a better LWB?)
    Noble - love him and valuable squad member, but been our main CM for the past decade
    Kouayte - been on the slide since Bilic's first season, like Cresswell
    Lanzini - best player technically, no doubt, but been very poor this season and underwhelmed last too
    Arnautovic - star player, worth building around
    Hernandez - has contributed with 8 goals, but has super-sub written all over him, doesn't fit the team balance for a side like us when he starts

Then the other key players:

Adrian - loyal performer but has not been able to nail down the No.1 jersey for nearly 3 seasons now (says it all)
    Reid - excellent CB when on form, but never fit anymore
    Collins - coming to the end of his career
    Byram - Championship standard
    Evra - finished as a pro
    Obiang - jury's out
    Fernandes - not ready yet to start
    Mario - not good enough for the PL
    Antonio - struggles to fit into the XI in terms of where is his best position (RWB, winger, forward), never fit
    Carroll - unreliable
    Hugill - enough said

I mean if you were selecting players worth keeping going forwards, you'd probably go:

Ogbonna
    Reid
    Rice (squad player)
    Masuaku (squad player)
    Noble (squad player)
    Obiang
    Lanzini
    Antonio
    Arnautovic

9 players from that list? And two of those are unreliable fitness wise. I mean I wouldn't care if any of the others left in our squad.
  • Maybe I should have said “ why is it that our defensive record is so poor?”

The answer may well end up being the same, but IMO, defensive duties are not the sole responsibility of the back four and surely defensive coordinators should be working with the team as a whole.

Ergo, why is it when we have very experienced, defensive coordinators is our defensive record so poor.

It baffles me

• I understand that the signing of a defense minded midfielder has often been mooted, so if it is such an obvious requirement, i fail to understand why it has not happened.

That being said, I do not think that such a signing in and of itself would be the magic button solution, we do not have poor players, my conclusion is that our coaching staff do not seem to be able to get the best out of whom we have.

And that, IMO, is the root of the problem.
  • It is the perennial problem....

Who would want to manage 'little ol' West Ham?
  • Aside from his somewhat questionable record at West Ham there’s another thing.

He is seemingly at odds with two of our most experienced and highly paid forwards. And another, in Hugill, can’t be too enamoured either, and he was signed by Moyes. Has he even got the squad pulling towards a common purpose? ;hmm
  • Hugill was signed by DS imo as relegation cover.
  • You could be right IH but the problem is I guess we don’t know
  • How can anyone judge hugill on his minutes so far is beyond me 12 minutes and written off makes me realise I know nothing about football
  • But Moyes has seen him for 4 months and given him 12 minutes!
  • Cuz

Tbf I don’t think anyone is writing him off. It is probably more a case of bewilderment as to how a player signed from the championship cannot get much game time for a side which is playing championship standard football.
  • Lukerz said hugill- enough said, pretty much written off in my language tbh
  • He will not be here if we are still in the Prem come the end of the Summer window.
  • Cuz1 said:

Lukerz said hugill- enough said, pretty much written off in my language tbh

Only have to look at his pitch time since he arrived to know he’s been written off by Moyes, and that’s the important thing.
  • Or maybe he wasn’t a Moyes signing or he’s brought him for next season but at price paid good to know you have given him a chance
  • And if Moyes really as written him off already he shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near our transfer budget or our club imo
  • I thought Hugill was Moyes's suggestion when the deal for Slimani fell through. I somehow doubt DS would have recommended Hugill, he's not on FIFA14 so Jack wouldn't know about him.
  • edited May 2018

worse than grant and macari in terms of win percentages. And presiding over a defence that is all over the place.

The % is calculated over such a small number of games that a couple of wins can add nearly 10% to the figure. So % should be taken under advisement at this stage, imo

But if we are doing % as a measure of manager's success, I'm more interested in home record than all games, and also in loss % overall. I want these figures to be high, and low, respectively.

A quick look at results since Moyes was appointed shows 11 losses out of 24... just over 44%. I don't know how that compares to previous managers. If I get time later, I'll look.

For us, I think we should be focus on doing as well as possible at home and on losing as few as possible overall. (PL stats only, not Cups, as that's a whole different ball game.)

• Its hard to compare Moyes with other West Ham managers apart from Curbishley, the only other manager who took over mid-season in the top flight while we were nudging relegation

Pardew and Bonds took over mid-season in the second tier while the rest took over during the summer break (or in Zola's case so soon after the beginning of the season that it hardly matters).

Curbs' league record in that first season was P21 W8 D3 L10 GF 25 GA 36 PTs 27
  • Moyes played what was possibly the slowest defence in the league against Citeh!

His decistion to play the octogenarian Pat Evra, not a lack of defenders.

I dont want him to stay.

I dont have any idea who to replace him with though.
  • Exactly Suze

He's got it wrong tactically quite a few times

But again who else is available, every manager we could bring an element of risk

But I would rather it not be moyes
  • The season we went down under rodent he fell out with di canio and we went down. Moyes has fallen out with Carroll and it looks like he is out Saturday. Ok the manager is boss so fine him, three games left and the next one winnable so leave a huge asset at home for an example hurts the club and the clubs future. If moyes wants to set an example sell him in the summer. Do not hurt the clubs chances by not having that option, it makes Leicester’s job easier knowing not to have to plan for Carroll in the squad.
  • Yes Moyes his the boss but least Carroll wanted to play and hurt he wasn’t used as a sub so although wrong for storming off I get his frustration, he bent over backwards to get hart in the team for his England ambitions so maybe ac felt the same, fine him move on because we may need the big man in the last few games
  • Good move by Moyes, keeps Carroll injury free. Its a risk but if it pays off we can flog Carroll in the Summer.
  • That's if AC wants to go.
    Also why would you sacrifice Prem status for a £10m transfer fee? I'm not saying AC is the answer this season but he certainly is an option and all options should be on the table at this stage.
This discussion has been closed.