The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• No, if we stay up its because we were better than those who didn't.
    Anyway, we are not going down. COYI
  • Alderz,
    "For a team that starts with 5 defenders and 4 midfielders in the lineup we are incapable of defending".
    Is that down to coaching or players' abilities then?

I would question the players ability to defend, but I would question the managers a) ability to organise them better and b) decision making in consistently picking the same approach.

We have the worst defence in the league. Why do we think that relying on it is the way to get points? Whenever we have our attacking players on the pitch and have a go at teams we look threatening. Yeah, that leaves us open at the back, but it's not like we are shutting teams out when we go safety first.
  • Why would Eddie Howe want the job? What could we possibly offer him that would be an improvement on what he's got at Bournemouth, the team he spent most of his playing career and almost all of his managerial career at?
  • A week or two ago I said I`d be happy for Moyes to carry on next season and that basically our squad was sound and we only needed three or four top notch players for next year. I`d like to retract that statement. We are pitiful. I`m not sure if my wife had been slipping "happy pills" into my tea and has now run out, but any positivity I felt then has well and truly evaporated. The club is rotten from top to bottom. Football should be about passion and entertainment. I have felt very little of either, the players feel even less. I used to be gutted if we lost and felt physically and emotionally lifted if we won, even in the days of teletext, just seeing a positive scoreline at 4.45pm was enough. I`m not sure what this means, but it seems to have slipped into the vernacular in recent times, West Ham leaves me meh (?!) MEH!. Whatever the question, Moyes isn`t the answer, too negative, although our squad is tripe, absolute tripe. Gold, Sullivan and Brady are charlatans, and The Premier League is a two tier nonsense. In some twisted pleasure/pain way I hope we get relegated, I really do. I will find it mildly amusing, and being mildly amused is a whole step up from the angst and frustration of following us in The Premier League. In fact I`m going to raise a glass to being mildly amused ;champagne
  • edited April 2018
    Sometimes with managers it is horses for courses. Howe certainly didn't pull up any trees when he went to Burnley, and there's no guarantee he would do well with us.

His PL net spend over the last 5 years is just £15m less than ours.

In recent seasons particularly, he has had money to spend:

£20m for Ake, £15m for Ibe, £10m for Begovic, £7m for Lewis Cook, £10m for Afobe, £8m for Mings.

For me, Howe gets a really easy ride. He hasn't managed Bournemouth on a shoe-string (and certainly not for the last few seasons), he hasn't got them playing like Barcelona, and they have been around the relegation spots for most of the season.

But let's get him; he's a media darling, so that will be all right.
  • BFS is doing a great job at Everton...

Lets go after him...
  • Madcap,

I can concur with most of what you said apart from the relegation bit. ;ok
  • Vorse. Mr Allardyce looks quite progressive at the minute with his 19th century football.
  • Sitting pretty at eighth safe already how I’d love to be like that, what’s that you saying we could have been never, that’s progress lol
  • For me he has to go, we will stay up but this is the biggest summer for many many years. We either show abit of willing but investing properly and employ and better quality manager or next season will be a real slog.
    Rafa Benitz or Brendon Rodgers they are for me fairly realistic targets for us
  • Brendan Rodgers has already stated he isn't interested in leaving Celtic for Arsenal, so there is absolutely no chance he would leave them for us.
  • I thought Brenda said that he was 'very happy' at Celtic.
  • A fantasy maybe but the guy who is leaving PSG could be an option.

He may want to prove himself in England and I don't think he has done such a job at PSG that the top 6 would want him...
  • I’ve lost faith in Moyes, but I am concerned about who else the board would go for if Moyes leaves, and concerned about the calibre or manager we will be able to attract after the last two seasons.

I just don’t know anymore. It’s pretty rare for a manager to leave a club where he’s doing well unless it’s a BIG step up, so I think we can forget the likes of Benitez, Howe etc.

Wish we’d go for Bielsa, to be honest, though whether he’d have any interest is hugely doubtful. But we’d be much more watchable and passionate and energetic in our play.
  • A fantasy maybe but the guy who is leaving PSG could be an option.

He may want to prove himself in England and I don't think he has done such a job at PSG that the top 6 would want him...

Think we were after him before Bilic took over and he turned us down
  • Cuz, did we... Forgot that.

Was that the summer we also tried to sign Messi and Ronaldo...
  • Lol yes think was a few we were after and got Bilic as about 4th choice if I remember right
  • If they are going to get a step up they are going to have to underwrite signings of £60-£70m excluding anything generated from sales IMO. Any manager worth their salt would want this formally agreed before joining us.

It won’t happen because the daves don’t have that level of financial muscle.
  • Decanio job done
  • "I couldn't work even one day with a man like David Sullivan"
    Paolo Di Canio, Sky Sports Italia, 13 March 2018
  • barracks,
    That probably sums it up in a nutshell......so Moyes out, Gold,Sullivan and Brady too....
  • Sorry if old news but ex reporting on twitter that Carroll was told he could leave training and lots of other issues. One being, Moyes hasn’t spoken to Collins about his contract situation. Players not happy it seems.
  • Rubbish. Collins himself has stated and Moyes has reiterated umpteen times that there will be no contract talks until we know what league we will be in. There are several players involved.
  • In which case Moyes hasn't spoken to Collins.
  • Even if thay did speak it would go something like this
    Moyes
    ¥€$% {<$¥£ cu
    Ginge
    “2%## yuk dia
    Baroness Brady
    Off with his head
    Dave
    We making big signings
    Dave
    Anyone seen my head

;hmm
  • I am so tired of winning.
  • So sorry, wrong thread, in fact it is totally the wrong chat room ;wink
  • edited May 2018
    I still think Marco Silva would be a fantastic appointment. Don't be put off by the fact Hull went down and his sacking at Watford.

He came so close to keeping Hull in the league, but for a disappointing last 3 games of the season. You only have to look at where Hull are now in the Championship to know it wasn't exactly a good squad.

He had Watford playing excellent football and they got off to their best ever PL start before falling away slightly. Again, their form since his sacking suggests that's a problem with the club, they tend to fall away once they look like survival is likely.

He's out of work, so will appeal in that sense. Would be brave but I think would be worth it.

But, again, it comes down to the club infrastructure. You get it right at board level and on the player recruitment side, it doesn't really matter who you have coaching the players, as long as they have a reasonable level of qualification to do the job. All managers are only as good as their tools.
  • "All managers are only as good as their tools."

But good managers improve the 'tools' they work with.
  • Silva relegated one club and was well on his way to relegating a second.

Yeah, maybe they did play good football, until they didn't. Hull played exciting football all the way into the Championship, and Watford were going exactly the same way when he was sacked.

Can't understand why we'd want him if we want to not be in a relegation fight next season.
This discussion has been closed.