The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• And instead of signing a defensive midfielder we singed hugill (who we don’t play) and Evra - it’s a competition as to who is the most inept - our owners or our manager
  • If you think back to the beginning of January it was Moyes who said he wanted 3 or 4 players if possible but a minimum of 2 in key positions. It didn't happen and I doubt it was his fault. I think he should get at least a season but the club must do its best to ensure he gets the players he wants.
  • That’s as maybe however someone like chris hughton hasn’t exactly had an open chequebook to strengthen his squad, yet he hasn’t made a pig’s ear of it all like Moyes has.
  • One of my main concerns is his inability to play Hernandez on a regular basis. When you have such a poor defence you need a few people at the other end of the pitch to score some goals. If he stays I believe he will do what he did at Manchester United & Iet him leave in the Summer which will be very disappointing as Moyes will need to replace him with somebody and I am not sure if he will be anywhere as good as him.
  • I really thought he would do a good job, I even thought he would push us into the top ten. How wrong was I?

On the one hand I don't think it's all his fault but on the other, I don't think he has helped himself. The thing is, if we do get rid of him I can see our owners taking up most of the summer trying to convince someone to manage us and then not being able to bring the required players to sign before the season starts.
  • If Moyes keeps us up he will have achieved what he was signed up to do. That doesn't mean I think he should have a new contract.

I still miss Slav.
  • This is NOT a case for keeping Moyes but we have missed the spine of a team over several weeks in no Reid, Obiang or Carroll, the last one being less of a factor as he hardly plays. I am not going to open up the old can of worms about how we "try" to complete transfers but surely people must see it is relevant.
  • I’m undecided again now it’s the tactical side that bothers me always seems to late after the horse as bolted but at the same token unless someone is lined up already sorting out transfers why get rid because this season we maybe lucky and stay up but the luck won’t always last we are where we are for a reason the whole club is in a mess simples
  • He brought on the subs at 4-1 down....

How were we ever going to turn it around at that stage

He isnt proactive with his subs even when he gets the first XI wrong
  • Moyes must go at end of season IMO
    He has done very little to suggest otherwise , are we any better off at the moment since Slav, don't think so, re finding Arnie upfront, more luck than judgement IMO .
    It's a no brainer for me.. It's a big ;wave
  • Not in defence of Moyes, but there needs to be a little perspective. City have been doing this to almost every team and nobody expected anything from this game. However, imagine being a Leicester fan and having Palace put 5 goals past you.
  • If Moyes goes who would replace him? Benitez has confirmed he's negotiating a new contract with Newcastle and I don't imagine Howe or any other current Premier League manager would want to leave their current jobs.
  • Not in defence of Moyes, but there needs to be a little perspective. City have been doing this to almost every team and nobody expected anything from this game. However, imagine being a Leicester fan and having Palace put 5 goals past you.

Swansea put four past us too. It’s not like this was a one off. The city game was just the latest on a line, imo. For a team that starts with 5 defenders and 4 midfielders in the lineup we are incapable of defending, which is why I don’t understand why he persists with safety first.
  • If Moyes goes who would replace him?

Can’t be that hard to find a manager who will give us a win percentage greater than 25%
  • Alderz,
    "For a team that starts with 5 defenders and 4 midfielders in the lineup we are incapable of defending".
    Is that down to coaching or players' abilities then?
  • I'm not saying this is the only reason, we we have to consider that a priority for the last 2 transfer windows was been a genuine DM. Slav highlighted it, we targeted Carvalho in the summer and Dendoncker in January, both seemingly willing to come if G&S had pulled their finger out, but Sully wouldn't pay up. This, added to the fact that we never spend any real money on defenders, (we had wingbacks whose ages totalled 70 don't forget, both on frees as nobody else wanted them), and is it any wonder we let in goals?

Moyes has not had much to work with, we already had a very thin squad at the start of the season, we have lost a number of players to lengthy injuries, and then the squad was weakened further in January. The board is definitely to blame for our current predicament imo, and my worry, as I stated earlier, is that if Moyes goes, who better would be prepared to come to us and work for G&S? Don't forget, we've had a negative net spend on permanant transfers over the last 3 windows, there should be upwards of £80 million in the transfer kitty, but we already know that's not going to get spent.
  • The money will be spent, just not in the club, another Bentley maybe
  • we had wingbacks whose ages totalled 70
    Not quite, Cresswell was playing on the left wing, Evra was on the left side of the back three. Other than that spot on ;ok

Can’t be that hard to find a manager who will give us a win percentage greater than 25%

I'm sure there are plenty of managers out there who could do a better job than Moyes, sadly I suspect they are unlikely to want to leave the clubs they're currently managing in order to sort out the mess S&G have created.
  • If anybody saw M O T D last night, the guys in the studio were slagging
    the Hammers commitment, and rightly so. O.K. I didn't expect us to win
    against probably the best side in Europe, but there was no tackles, no
    effort when they lost the ball, or to get back, it was a pathetic performance
    considering our position being in a relegation dog fight.
    It's easy to slag Moyes off, but what about the commitment, and effort
    from the players wearing the claret and blue shirts, because I saw very
    little.Where was the fight, the passion, no effort, in fact I would say that was probably the worst performance I have ever seen, and I have seen quite a lot,
    over all these years.
    We need to win one more match to avoid relegation, but after yesterdays
    debacle, I am deeply concerned that we will not be able to succeed in our
    quest to survive relegation.

• I watched the Liverpool Stoke game Saturday and the Stoke players gave 100% in effort and commitment for 100% of the game. Shawcross ran himself into the ground setting an example from the off.
    Contrast that with our performance and the majority of them, Arnie was a big exception, barely seemed able to get out of first gear. We had no leader on the pitch ensuring that they at least played to the best of their abilities, which granted is like watching old amateurs compared to City, nor trying to rally them.
    Regardless of who the manager is if they're not committed fully once the whistle goes then the inevitable happens. Our midfield and defenders appear to just jog back although that may be their flat out speed whilst Noble seems to trot from one side of the pitch to the other without a great deal of intent most of the time.
  • But thorn, Nobes stats are great!
  • I was watching Noble yesterday, he moves towards whoever has the ball and makes himself available for a pass if nothing better presents itself. That's why he makes more passes than anyone else almost every game.
  • True Aslef but if he showed more intensity rather than jogging it may galvanise the others. Just read on the OS that they sat in the dressing room after the game and said there was nothing they could have done to avoid what happened. There was a lot they could have done to avoid it happening how it happened.
    I think they were always going to get beaten but let it be by brilliant football which we can't do anything about but we contribute so much to our own downfall.
  • I'm all for getting shot of him, the whole team and the owners.
  • edited April 2018
    Moojor said:

I'm all for getting shot of him, the whole team and the owners.

Well we're not going to get shot of the owners unless someone makes them an offer they cannot possibly turn down and right now I don't see queues of billionaires wanting to buy the club.

We could get rid of the whole squad apart from the kids just like Leyton Orient did at the end of last season, they were close to being relegated from the Conference before Christmas but managed to turn it around. I'm not sure we'd be able to do the same in the Premier League, more likely we'd beat Derby County's record for the least points in a season
  • Moojor said:

I'm all for getting shot of him, the whole team and the owners.

Well we're not going to get shot of the owners unless someone makes them an offer they cannot possibly turn down and right now I don't see queues of billionaires wanting to buy the club.

We could get rid of the whole squad apart from the kids just like Leyton Orient did at the end of last season, they were close to being relegated from the Conference before Christmas but managed to turn it around. I'm not sure we'd be able to do the same in the Premier League, more likely we'd beat Derby County's record for the least points in a season
    I personally would have no problem dropping out of the PL, never to return. I hate the league and the whole culture of "needing" to spend hundreds of millions just to stay even remotely competitive.
  • I want it all to go away until next season can't wait for it to be over I feel like hibernating all summer and hopes its all turns out OK
  • Moojor said:

I personally would have no problem dropping out of the PL, never to return. I hate the league and the whole culture of "needing" to spend hundreds of millions just to stay even remotely competitive.

From talking to the many Leyton Orient supporters that inhabit my local the problem with lower league football seems to be that any half decent player will eventually leave for a bigger club, you get an endless stream of kids on loan who go back to their parent club after one season plus you'd be seeing a lot more Zabalettas and Evras at the end of their careers.

And of course we'd still be playing at the Olympic Stadium, half full if we're lucky.
  • Pearces, yes and I remember last season many of us were saying the same thing so it seems that nothing ever changes at our club.

Moojor, the two only two seasons of recent times that I can remember enjoying was the one when we were in the Championship and the Payet season a couple of years ago.

Both of those I always thought we were in with a chance of winning a match or at the very least putting in a decent performance. I just don't have that feeling with these players at the moment. What's worse is that even if we do survive I can't see it changing with the present set up and as ASLEF says that ain't going to change for the better any time soon. ;puzzled
  • edited April 2018
    West Ham need to be in the PL.

But they need a squad worthy of the PL and a manager worthy of the PL and owners who want to be at the top of the PL

None are worthy at the moment. If we stay up its by virtue of others being bad not West Ham being good.

Eddie Howe - get him in
    Spend 100 million - make a commitment
    Move along the sick notes and the pensioners in the squad - make it happen

It can be done.
This discussion has been closed.