The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• a great manager would buy a decent set of tools then not have to worry about them breaking down and also having a better quality of final product.
  • edited May 2018
    Well we wanted Moyes after his disastrous recent record with Sunderland.

Silva took Hull from certain relegation to almost surviving, and then left Watford in mid-table. Two tiny clubs in terms of the PL. You can spin it as negative achievements or positive depending on your view. I think he is a very talented manager, but obviously can't prove that hypothetically.
  • So you want to make the same mistake again? I don't.
  • IronHerb said:

But good managers improve the 'tools' they work with.

They go to Screwfix?

Over the last few weeks Marco Silva has been touted as the next manager at Everton, Leeds, Ipswich, Arsenal, Merthyr Tydfil.....
  • edited May 2018
    How much must Big Sam be looking forward to coming here last game of the season? The irony if we need to win to stay up. I bet he can't wait!
  • I can name a manager who puts teams in better positions than when he found them, oh yes forget we hounded him out to do it again elsewhere again
  • edited May 2018
    cuz - well according to that manager, he wanted to leave on expiration of his contact.
  • Lukerz said:

Well we wanted Moyes after his disastrous recent record with Sunderland.

Silva took Hull from certain relegation to almost surviving, and then left Watford in mid-table. Two tiny clubs in terms of the PL. You can spin it as negative achievements or positive depending on your view. I think he is a very talented manager, but obviously can't prove that hypothetically.

That's looking at it very positively. I'd say he took Hull from likely relegated to relegated, and had Watford on a horrendous slide of form destined for the bottom three.

A bit like Howe, I think he's given a better ride than he deserves, maybe because he's young and a bit of a character and his teams allegedly play good football on the way.

I think our club is in a bit of a mess and we need somebody to pull us all together. Managers who have found themselves in constant relegation battles won't be able to lift us out of one, in my opinion, as our squad is limited and I'm not convinced anybody is going to have much money to spend.

We need a massively positive appointment to lift the spirits of the fanbase, IMO.

But all that said and done, personally (and unhappily) I think the board will keep Moyes should we stay up, even if we stay up on GD.
  • Lukerz said:

cuz - well according to that manager, he wanted to leave on expiration of his contact.

Maybe partly because of fan reaction to him though lukerz I’d say we wouldn’t be fighting relegation year in year out, probably have bedded us in better at the new stadium then move on but the David’s wanted to much to soon champagne thorts lemonade cash flow
  • The managerial appointment for next year is more important than
    any individual signing IMO. Our owners got it right when appointing Sam and getting Nolan as captain at that time. The Moyes appointment is proving to be a poor choice.

Pity Mancini has just been appointed Italy coach
  • Nolan's doing pretty well with Notts County...
  • Sean Dyche?
  • edited May 2018
    Lukerz said:

Sean Dyche?

See my comments on Eddie Howe; why on earth would Dyche want to leave Burnley for West Ham when they are about to qualify for their first European football since 1967?
  • I'd like Rodgers. Surely he will want to return to the PL at some point. What more is there to do at Celtic? Most of Celtic's recent managers leave after 2 or 3 years. He's probably going to win consecutive trebles and they're never going to win the Champions League, so you think he'd want a new challenge soon.

I hate the way he talks about football sometimes, as if he invented it, but I think he could be very positive for us as a club with the possession-based style he likes to play. Also think he's somebody who could do well on a limited budget.
  • Yesterday Brendan Rodgers was reported by various sources as saying he's not interested in the Arsenal job and he's happy to stay at Celtic. I suppose he could be holding out for a "dream move" to West Ham..........
  • Looks like Moyes for the next decade then...
  • The successor to Wenger will likely fail - it’s not uncommon straight after a long serving leader, and not just in football. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has turned it down for this reason.
  • Lukerz said:

Looks like Moyes for the next decade then...

IMG_20171217_201218
  • for me personally, if Moyes keeps us up think he has earned the right to be given a longer contract. He will have the summer/pre-season to start to shape his squad, I believe we will start to look more solid under him over time and you will not see us conceding 3 goals in a game that often unlike this season.
  • No way would I want Moyes as our manager next season.
    IMHO if & I'm praying we do stay up, it has very little to do with Moyes, & more the fact there are 3 worse teams than us.
    I think his record so far speaks for itself , those do not lie.
    Many might argue he inherited this , that & whatever!, but apart from a few great results it's been poor to be kind...
    As far as next season, I'd be happy with a " risk" appointment, as the "safer option " isn't going great guns so far...
    Silva , why not.....( & that's not my ultimate choice, but compared to Moyes, for sure )...
  • edited May 2018

IMHO if & I'm praying we do stay up, it has very little to do with Moyes, & more the fact there are 3 worse teams than us.

And Leicester won the title not because they deserved it over the course of a season but because there were 19 worse teams than them.

Sorry but I think this argument doesn't work. I also think he should be given time. Look what he did at Everton when given time.
  • Won nothing.
  • Like Potch, but we'd take him.
  • Difference is Poch has moved Spurs from a Europa club to a Champions League club in less time than Moyes had at Everton to do the same thing... he did it once.
  • Moyes is yesterday’s news and is on the wane.

Failed at Man U, Sociedad and Sunderland and now is at 25% with us.

If we are going on the distant past we may aswell approach curbs.
  • How many managers have?

Poch hasn't won anything, with a far, far better squad.

Pulis has never won anything, nor has Hughes, Dyche, Howe, Pardew, or the majority of those who have managed PL clubs down the years.

The majority of managers don't have squads capable of winning the PL (let's put Leicester's win down as a blip, rather than a likely occurrence) which leaves 2 realistic trophies: Carabao Consolation or FA Cup.

Traditional top 6 clubs have won 15 of the last 20 League Cups, and 18 of the last FA Cups.

If we are only going to appoint managers who have won a major trophy, we will have a long wait to appoint anyone, imo.
  • I’m not so fussed about someone who has won things. But I would prefer someone who is vaguely on an upward trajectory, not someone on a downward spiral like we’ve got wth Moyes and indeed what we have with Hart (although if I’m fair I’m one of those that wanted Hart ;lol )
  • Moyes is yesterday’s news and is on the wane.

Failed at Man U ...

I don't care about the other clubs, Sunderland was doomed as it was so I don't count that as failure. You can only fail if you have the right tools to achieve.

Regarding ManU I would like to compare that to what you wrote about Wenger's successor at Arsenal. Moyes took over from Fergie and a lot of those players were on the wane. Look at what has happened since.

• Granted, Munich, however it is still four in a row for him - doesn’t look good - worse than grant and macari in terms of win percentages. And presiding over a defence that is all over the place.

I fail to see how giving him another season will be of any benefit.
  • You cant write off Sunderland but at the same time hark back to his Everton days, he took the job on and failed, he failed at Man United and failed at Sociedad he took those jobs on.

Sunderland were not already relegated when he took them on. Man United weren't just hanging onto the top 4 when he took them on. Sociedad weren't relegation candidates when he took them on...
This discussion has been closed.