Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation (continued)

Comments

• Because it's West Ham and it's too simple

It's a stupid decision as well.....why get rid of players to free the budget if they might not even get anyone

So if we can't get a CM what do we do...go with the squad we got....it just isn't strong enough
  • If the alternative is blowing the money on somebody who isn't good enough and will be a stupid panic buy, then yeah, we hang onto the money and wait until the next window.
  • Who says they haven't?
  • Jorderz,

I was responding to Thorns comment at 7.18. Missed the page turn. ;ok
  • Iron herb all the reports I've seen suggest we've offered the €40M but not as a one off which they apparently are insisting on.
  • Slav has said we've offloaded players to give us the budget to buy a quality CM but if we don't get our target we won't bother. If we've got the budget and Carvalho is the target why won't we just say here's the €40M and stop the messing around.

Stop messing about ,,, in a Kennith Williams IMG_3736
  • edited August 2017
    For Sullivan its all in the haggle.
    Would be great running a stall in the Kasbah souk.
  • But nobody pays €40m n one go. Where do you find €40m?
  • edited August 2017
    A Google search for

kyle walker offer rejected

shows that we are far from the only club (and miles from the wealthiest) who don't simply pony up the first number a selling club thinks of.
  • but its clear Sporting want the release clause for Carvalaho. Seems odd if they know the release is 40m and they go in with 30m rejected 32m rejected 35m rejected that they want the full 40m or its not happening. Seems like time wasting. Why would Sporting settle for less than 40m in todays market.
  • That's the nature of any business, though. Just because somebody sets an asking price for a house doesn't mean you steam in with an offer of that amount straight away. At least try your luck first.
  • Yeold

But we don't have any idea of what has actually gone on, do we?

However, even if we have done what you suggest, that is (again according to rumour) exactly what pretty much every other club does.

• The West Ham way lets keep increasing our offers in increments, other club lets just make an offer that activates the players release clause, "quelle surprise" they get the player we don't! Simple.

Surely someone knows how Sporting work? Can someone tell me how long it took from the news breaking last night that WBA were interested in signing Oliver Burke to him being announced as signing? ;doh
  • I am sure other clubs dont just give money away no matter how rich they are. also it appears that most transactions take a long time. Burke may be an exception but I bet the negotiations went on before 'the news breaking last night' to completion. or perhaps they wait for a press rumour and then make a bid?
  • Barney,

It's not as case of giving money away. ;ok It's more a case of West Ham as a club appearing to get involved in long drawn out transfer negotiations, normally not ending successfully, whilst others just seem to get the transfer completed a lot quicker.
  • Fortune

Try doing the search I suggested (or anything similar).

There are links to a number of transfers that show that your statement is not actually true.

Not sure how the club are supposed to defend themselves against such charges, since they don't have a basis in fact.
  • grey,

Sorry but how long did we pursue Bacca last summer? ;ok
  • That was because Bacca didn't want to join. Should we have kidnapped him?
  • Under the circumstances, yes, considering the amount of time we wasted "supposedly" negotiating his transfer and therefore didn't look into any other viable alternatives. ;whistle
  • edited August 2017
    Fortune

The Bacca saga hardly supports your argument since we'd agreed a fee with the selling club. The fee was agreed as early as July 9th.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/west-ham-agree-huge-deal-for-milan-striker
  • That's the nature of any business, though. Just because somebody sets an asking price for a house doesn't mean you steam in with an offer of that amount straight away. At least try your luck first.

I get that but if they know the release cause and they go in with the 30m offer fair enough and they get rebuffed. Then they go in with 32m and get rebuffed again ? why are they thinking 35m is going to work when Sporting have said. Pay the release cause if you want him. Its not rocket science if you have got rebuffed that many times its quite simple they aren't selling him unless you pay the release.

It seems like they are beating a dead horse.
  • edited August 2017
    grey,

I have done the search and it appears to me that City made an offer it was rejected and they were told how much it would cost to sign the player they then up the offer and the deal was concluded.
  • but its clear Sporting want the release clause for Carvalaho. Seems odd if they know the release is 40m and they go in with 30m rejected 32m rejected 35m rejected that they want the full 40m or its not happening. Seems like time wasting. Why would Sporting settle for less than 40m in todays market.

But it was clear we wanted more than we got for Payet.

If we wanted it but didn't get it because he wanted to leave, then what is different?

I heard people say in January we couldn't hold out for our value because of x, y and z, but when it comes to us buying the argument is "just pay it".
  • Alderz the owners didn't want to sell Payet, Slav did ? Perhaps Sportings manager and owners are on the same wave length.
  • Portuguese clubs tend to try and drain every penny out of a transfer so it's not surprising.

I geniuinely don't see the problem I'm trying to ensure you get the best deal, especially when but-out clauses are typically massive overvaluations.
  • Fortune

There are links to lots of stories

City having a Mendy bid rejected, Everton having Siggy bid rejected. City have had a bid for Evans rejected.

Just from the first couple of pages.

It happens all the time.
  • Trying to get the lowest possible fee is the only responsible way to do business, IMO.

If the Daves paid the first price every club asked for, we'd be bankrupt by now.
This discussion has been closed.