Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation (continued)

Comments

• To me it has never made any sense that the window remains open after the season has started. It should open midnight of the last day of the season at close midnight a day or two before the season starts again.

• It opens on 1 July because most contracts run until the end of June but a simple change to make contracts expire 31 May would enable window to run from 1 June until say 15 August.
  • It would probably close on someone's fingers...
  • Which season, suz? PL? Championship?

I wonder what would happen if the window was for new signings AND sellings.... ;hmm That would get round the problem of the window closing here but European clubs being able to still buy your players leaving you no time to get in a replacement.
  • I don't know... I didn't think about that.
  • It would still need to be ratified by EUFA / FIFA.
  • Contracts running til 1st July doesn't make a difference, as they're all on holiday then anyway. And that only impacts free transfers.

The start date of the window doesn't really matter in the summer - we announced Nordtveit in like March or something last year. They do it all year round, it's just the day the player officially turns up, which doesn't matter anyway as they are all on the beach on the first day of the window.

MrsG

I agree agents and players wouldnt like it, but also, if the rules say otherwise it's not really up to them, is it? They like it going into the season because then teams panic and they can fleece them for more money.
  • ;ok

But that argument (panic -> fleecing) applies to clubs too.

I'm interested to find out how the different advantages/disadvantages are prioritised by the clubs. I notice that Watford has already come out against the idea. (Linked to the fact that they are part of a franchise that has clubs in Europe too, I wonder?)
  • edited August 2017
    Bazshuayi said:

with our record of new signings getting injured straight away. do West Ham, really want the window closing as the season starts ;hmm

It would surely help solve half of the problem and save money. There would be no signings made after the start of the season who could get injured at the start of the season while all of the pre-season signings would already have been injured during the pre-season.

• edited August 2017
    Alderz the fact that contracts run until 30 June is why the window officially opens on 1 July. Nobody except out of contract players can sign for anybody until 1 July.
    If clubs don't think that 6 weeks is long enough then have the window open 1 June and end mid August or even 31 July.
  • thorn

The official opening of the window is a moveable feast.

According to the PL handbook, it is open after midnight of the last day of the season OR on a day that the PL nominates.
  • edited August 2017
    What do contract expirations have to do with signing in-contract players anyway?

Out of contract players become free agents from that date but with the others, the contract is being broken ahead of time. I don't see why the contract end date has to dictate the beginning of the transfer window.
  • Thorn

But there are dozens of transfers every year that are announced prior to the 1st July. Even if the window starts then (I don't think it does, btw), what does it matter? They still negotiate beforehand. It just affects the day they first show up, and if they're already on holiday and don't show up til the 10th July or something then what does it matter for the start date
  • No transfer speculation? ;whistle
  • The point I was making is that new contracts cannot be signed before 1 July.
  • But they can... plenty of deals go through before, and pre contract deals always get signed in advance
  • edited August 2017
    From sky premier league show last night

"West Ham vice-chairman Brady is discussing West Ham's pursuit of William Carvalho, and how complex signing players can be this late in the transfer window."

Also confirmed that when the transfer window change of dates was discussed in March that 17 clubs were broadly in favour of the change.
  • Sky sources: West Ham have informed Robert Snodgrass that he is surplus to requirements and is available for either a transfer or a loan.
  • Snodgrass scores goals for Hull, Ayew scores goals for Swansea. They come to us and the goals dry up; this seems to happen too often - why? Is it the West Ham way? ;hmm
  • NEoldiron said:

Snodgrass scores goals for Hull, Ayew scores goals for Swansea. They come to us and the goals dry up; this seems to happen too often - why? Is it the West Ham way? ;hmm

;weep
  • One day, we will find another Cottee and Mac partnership. Until then, we must tread water and believe.
  • imagelost said:

NEoldiron said:

Snodgrass scores goals for Hull, Ayew scores goals for Swansea. They come to us and the goals dry up; this seems to happen too often - why? Is it the West Ham way? ;hmm

;weep

I didnt think much of ayew
    I think we needed synods a few years ago
    Waste of time and money
  • I honestly don't know what role Ayew is supposed to perform in the side, but whatever it is he has massively underwhelmed in it.
  • I remember ayew putting on a great performance for swansea when they beat us 4-1 on our last saturday game at the boleyn, so i was over the moon when we signed him.
    I cannot put my finger on why he hasn't come good at west ham.He seems to drift in and out of games up to a point that you forget he's even on the pitch.
    ;hmm
  • We bought him as a striker when he is not a striker, we play him on the wing when he is a number 10, he was injured long term, Antonio is our RW, Lanzini is our 10.

He contributed to 9 goals in 16 games last season.

A such I think he has done well considering....
  • He's a goal poacher. He needs to play right behind another striker, either from the left or #10. He would work particularly well with AC imo.
  • everyone would work well with AC but hes never fit
This discussion has been closed.