Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• Sky say Andre Gray is now at the top of our striker shortlist.
  • Thing is Gray may not be a huge upgrade over Sakho and Carroll but he's gonna be there for 30+ games a season

It's not the goalscoring I had a problem with last year (although it was a problem) it was how little our strikers influenced the game. Zaza and Calleri just didn't "lead the attack" and in Gray I think we have a guy who can integrate with the rest of the squad and be a solid 6/7 out of 10 week in week out and with him being a constant every week we won't have our momentum broken like every time Carroll starts scoring

I also don't think he's the only striker that we will get but with him we are getting a big upgrade over Zaza and Calleri which is a start.....plus he brings pace and athleticism that this squad lacks

£12/15 mil for a 26 year old British striker who has sacred goals in the premier league and championship is a good move in my eyes
  • Devine intervention is what we need! #sacred goals
  • Few murmurings of Arnautovic, from supposed ITK's of other forums.
  • Luke dissing the opposition ;lol
  • Sky say Andre Gray is now at the top of our striker shortlist.

If its a 'short' list, then surely Ryan Fraser would be on our list (Always makes me laugh when the men in blazers refer to him as scrappy doo ;lol ) ;run
  • edited July 2017
    Shaquiri, too ;ok
  • Few murmurings of Arnautovic, from supposed ITK's of other forums.

He has an X factor...
  • edited July 2017
    and if we sign him I can change my fantasy team name to a player thats actually ours ;thumbsup

# win/win
  • edited July 2017
    Apparently Hernandez wants £140k per week: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/javier-hernandez-demanding-140000-week-10756597

At £13m, perhaps we could afford the wages, but not good for the morale of the other squad members.

We might even be able to afford Gray, Hernandez and a £25mn striker like all the ones we're apparently bidding for (e.g. Muriel).
  • Interesting story about Feghouli, allegedly wanting WHU to give him the remaining two thirds of his EUR4.5mn signing-on fee, which was being paid EUR1.5mn per year, before signing for Galatasaray: http://sportwitness.co.uk/signing-fees-holding-back-west-ham-deal-despite-transfer-fee-agreed/
  • Think £140k is way too much, it's more than we were paying Payet and that was still a contract based of about £85k with bonuses

Think he'd take £100k which imo won't damage the morale as he is the biggest name at the club (should he sign) who's won the premier league and played in the champions league before

Only the clubs like United, city and Chelsea can compromise on a wage structure as seen by Tottenham,Liveprool answer arsenal who although are financially very powerful (to the rest of the league) their top earners don't make 'ridiculous money'
  • Chelsea match man Utd 75 million offer for lukaku
  • I'd give him the £140k a week, to be honest. £13m is relatively cheap nowadays, and given that he'd be our most decorated player, I don't think morale would be affected too much; in fact, the other players would probably welcome someone of that quality.
  • edited July 2017
    OCS, maybe they would welcome that quality, but looking back to the Payet situation...

(not knowing how much of what was reported is true) there is the suggestion that while the other players recognised his quality, the constant bigging him up in the meeja and paying him more wages, incentives and bonuses led to an unsettled dressing room.

Obviously, there's a personality element to that as well. Nor all 'highest paid' players will be divas, or cause rifts.

I don't know what I'm saying really - just mulling - I'd want to think long and hard before paying 1 player shedloads more than anybody else. Yes, a player with trophies and medals might be worth it .. but it's a team game. Is he going to put in his own crosses, and go in goal too?

;hmm
  • At the end of the day you have to remain professional

Natural ability doesn't always correspond to high wages. Reputation, past experiences, age, availability all come into account on how much wages players are paid

Sure some players may feel underpaid (like footballers are underpaid......) but they have to remain professional and most of these guys do you'd imagine

I don't think it was Payets pay that aggravated them but the special treatment he got e.g. missing training etc without consequence
  • Find it amazing how many on social media (mainly twitter) think that Sully has pulled some kind of elaborate stunt in pinning the "deal off" on Slav to deflect criticism.

While I agree that it shouldn't of come out, there is no way that SB would sign up for that or stand there and take it imo

I'm glad that SB has the final say, perhaps once he knew the details of the deal and how much it may affect our transfer budget, he didn't think it was worth it, he did similar when he said no to end the Hogan interest.

• edited July 2017

I'd give him the £140k a week, to be honest. £13m is relatively cheap nowadays, and given that he'd be our most decorated player, I don't think morale would be affected too much; in fact, the other players would probably welcome someone of that quality.

Hernandez might have won two Premier League titles with Man U but he wasn't a first team regular, excluding the times when he was injured or otherwise unavailable he started 85 games out of a total of 210 and spent more time on the bench than on the pitch. He wasn't a first team regular at Real Madrid either, just 12 starts out of a possible 52 and he won a World Club Championship medal sitting on the bench.

He's only been a first team regular since he joined Bayer Leverkusen, his first season was excellent, 17 goals in 28 league appearances, fourth top scorer in the Bundesliga and Bayer finished 3rd. This season he only managed 11 goals in 26 and while he was still top scorer at Bayer they finished 12th making this the first season since 2009/10 when they didn't qualify for Europe

£13m is peanuts these days but he's going to have to prove he's worth £140k pw,
  • I would only take him if the 140k was structured like payets deal 65 basic then appearance say 25 and rest made up with goals scored assist league position etc . If was flat 140k I think it could easily disrupt the dressing room especially if he is not doing the business. A report from Germany suggests he is not a popular player in the dressing room at bayer . Team morale is v important look what happened when. Payet finally left results picked up . Reports we have bid for Muriel looked at him he is quick good dribbler decent finisher not great in the air but would definitely give us something different
  • Chelsea match man Utd 75 million offer for lukaku

still hope for my handle then when Bats joins us ;thumbsup ;wahoo
  • edited July 2017
    PLF - apparently Hernandez made a similar demand when LA Galaxy where after him so probably he wants £140k plus bonuses.

Last season he scored on 1 October and then didn't score again until 28 January, 11 League games (plus 4 CL and a cup game) without a goal

The more I read the less I want him here.........
  • The gut feel seems to suggest he is a bit of a mercenary who may score a few and then want to be off pretty quickly - do we want someone like that?

Perhaps a hard working, committed, focussed Andre gray might be better for our club right now?
  • Wolves have completed the £16mil signing of 20 year old Ruben Neves who is one of the goldenboys of Portuguese football......how has that happened ;nonono

• Champo

Well, Wolves are managed by Nuno, who is Portuguese, and I'd imagine he has a good agent who has figured that a year or two of Championship football will put his player in the PL window.
  • ;puzzled theres a good agent out there
  • steve

It's only a guess. Could be the agent thought Wolves were PL... ;nonono
  • Could be that Wolves offered him a whopping agent fee
  • Could be that there is a buyback clause ;whistle
  • Could be Wolves are mugs....
  • The agent is George Mendez who has Ronaldo, Mourinho, de Gea and others in his stable.
This discussion has been closed.