Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• Good call Adam. Ex's article last night suggests we're looking at Leicester strikers now Iheanacho looks to be going there.

The piece is also pretty damning of our transfer policy. I know some discredit Ex but what he says does go some way to explaining why we seem to struggle to get people in quickly

thewesthamway.co.uk/2017/07/06/exwhuemployee-iheanacho-low-plus-news/

Wonder who the former ajax winger is?
  • This caught my eye from the article:

Valenica should complete his move to Mexico tomorrow and Andy Carroll is likely to miss the start of the season through injury

Yeah, Enner going to Mexico comes as a bit of a surprise..... ;whistle
  • This caught my eye from the article:

Valenica should complete his move to Mexico tomorrow and Andy Carroll is likely to miss the start of the season through injury

Just pay him off and save the wages. Getting beyond ridiculous now
  • Twist

Don't suppose you'd care to wait for official news before caning AC?

And if we pay him off we will pay him the wages, so there will be no saving.

• once again I see on NEWS NOW that we have agreed a deal for a proven attacker and find out it's an attacking midfielder and it's Lanzini!!
    The other day it was West Ham agree deal for midfielder and it was Obiang.
    All we seem to be doing is signing our own players!!
    It gets the pulse racing and then it's a complete let down.
  • So you're not happy getting Lanzini and Obiang to sign new contracts then?
  • I just want AC's rehab to be managed carefully so as he's fit enough to pass the medical for the club we try and offload him to

When you look at his time here, pretty much all the rumours of him being injured turn out to be true and they are typically only inaccurate because he ends up being out for even longer than reported!
  • once again I see on NEWS NOW that we have agreed a deal for a proven attacker and find out it's an attacking midfielder and it's Lanzini!!
    The other day it was West Ham agree deal for midfielder and it was Obiang.
    All we seem to be doing is signing our own players!!
    It gets the pulse racing and then it's a complete let down.

New deals for Obiang and Lanzini is great news.
  • Why is it great news they are already our players it doesn't improve the team one bit.
    Seems like smoke and mirrors to cover the fact we have not signed anyone that will make us a better attacking force this season. In midfield or attack.
  • I see where hutton's coming from. When I see "£75k a week for attacker agreed" I get excited. I know I really should know better than to get my hopes up based on some spurious reports but then when it turns out it is just a contract extension it's somewhat underwhelming (even though it's good one of our better players wants to stay for a while)
  • Who had that headline, sorry? Was that the club?

Sounds like tabloid clickbait to me.

Hutton - To me, keeping your best players is as important as buying new ones, if not more so.
  • We are never, ever, going to make the fabled 'next level' unless we keep a core of talented players over a number of seasons.

Rewarding and encouraging our best players with longer and better terms serves several purposes:

it motivates them (everyone likes to be thought well of)

it shows other players that the club looks after its own

in the event one of them decides to do the off, it ensures we can command a higher transfer fee

Personally, I'm delighted that the club are thinking long-term.
  • You have to reward the players with better contracts if they prove themselves.
  • Agree. No longer a selling club. Only Payet and Tompks of late that are first team regulars and they had reasons.
  • Some of the comments on twitter are ridiculous. Seemingly grown men and women metaphorically throwing their toys out the pram. And then setting said pram alight.
  • Bonfire of the Perambulators.
  • edited July 2017
    No longer a selling club? after last season there are not many players sides would be queuing up for.
    Also renewing contracts at West Ham is not going to motivate our players the only time we have looked good over the last few years was when Payet signed. He made players play and look good. As soon as he went players like Noble went back to what they were like before.
    Quality signings are needed to improve , renewing contracts is just normal business.
  • And then setting said pram alight.
    And blaming the club for the flames.
  • That is one thing that especially irritates me, that for everything that occurs 'somebody must be to blame'. IMO neither our board nor our manager are perfect but they all are trying to do their best for the club. Some people on twitter write like they believe the people at our club are actively working to damage us. It really beggars belief.
  • That is one thing that especially irritates me, that for everything that occurs 'somebody must be to blame'.

That's the zeitgeist now, it seems to me. Not just in football.
  • (Payet) made players play and look good. As soon as he went players like Noble went back to what they were like before.

To be fair, as soon as he left, Lanzini took advantage and stepped up.
  • On the selling players note it seems most (me included) would be very disappointed if Feghouli leaves (obviously only an unsubstantiated rumour at this point). He was doing good stuff last season IMO and now he's fully adjusted to the prem and can have a full pre-season ahead of him I think he could be excellent the coming season. Really hope he stays.

Similarly, but I feel I may be more alone here, ideally I would have liked Nordtveit and Valencia to stay. Yes neither make my first 11 but they are good backups IMO. Nordtveit had the benefit of being able to play RB, CB, CDM, RWB, and I thought although he was initially caught out by the speed of the prem he was starting to get going as the season progressed.

With Valencia I still think he could do a job at LM of an attacking 4;2;3;1 (always felt that was his best position rather than a CF) his pace and the way he can shoot so hard with such little backlift could be a useful weapon, particularly off the bench. I still worry although our right side has many options we are light on the left if Enner leaves.
  • Florin

The problem is that our budget is very limited. You can't therefore prioritise back up players over first team players. One of the reasons certain players would have been released would have been to generate funds and take wages off the payroll to accommodate new first choice first teamers.
  • baracks - Yes, I appreciate that, plus the players themselves may not have wanted to stay if they are 'back ups' - from the rumours this is a main reason for Nordt leaving, the lad was previously used to, and wanted to be a first 11 regular. I just think it's a shame as they could have been good for us. However as we seem to only want 2/3 players I think we have the budget (hopefully) for the transfers from income especially the new TV deal, and for their wages the savings made from a few leaving (Calleri, Tore, Arbeloa) and our extra income. Obviously if more than 3 are needed I can see why savings need to be made. Time will tell, hopefully it'll all work out ;ok
  • No longer a selling club? after last season there are not many players sides would be queuing up for.
    Also renewing contracts at West Ham is not going to motivate our players the only time we have looked good over the last few years was when Payet signed. He made players play and look good. As soon as he went players like Noble went back to what they were like before.
    Quality signings are needed to improve , renewing contracts is just normal business.

Yes I think my point stands. We don't sell our best players we give them new deals. Payet was one of our best players but gave us no choice. We didn't sell him just for the money.

• BREAKING NEWS

Brentford star Jota will not play in their friendly against Aldershot tonight with a bid expected imminently from a Premier League club, Sky Sports News HQ understands.

The Spaniard held a meeting with head coach Dean Smith and Bees officials on Thursday in which it was collectively agreed he should not take part in the game.

Sky sources understand Huddersfield, Everton, West Ham and Newcastle have all shown interest in the 25-year-old - and he would be available for around £8m.

• Transfer News = Bjork!
  • According to the newspaper that Gideon is editor for, Everton are about to sign an 18 year old winger from qpr for £4m. If he signs I wouldn't be surprised if he saw some first team action in his first season given that he will be playing for koeman
  • Like lookman who got 290 mins of action costing £10mil
This discussion has been closed.