Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• I'll do a bold prediction and say we will sign either Iheanacho or Giroud this summer.
  • edited June 2017
    I think we have a chance, Herbie. If he wants to leave Arsenal, and if he wants to stay in London and if he wants regular first team football then it's pretty much between us and Palace, realistically.
  • 2 weeks till pre-season to get a striker in or its a FAIL on the board to not at least secure 1 of 2 strikers needed.
  • I think its important to get the right player and I don't think its a FAIL if its not before preseason it will only be a FAIL if we don't sign any by the end of the window.
    If Giroud etc are n't available yet until their clubs get replacements there is not a lot the chairmen can do, there isn't a long list of decent strikers out there especially with PL experience.
  • edited June 2017
    I'd be looking at:

Giroud
    Batshuayi
    Defoe
    Vardy
    Gray
    King
    Wilson
    Llorente
    Rodriguez

As possible options we may be interested in. Not sure how many are realistic but that's probably the best crop from the PL. You can add Iheanacho too if we sign another forward.

Or we go abroad or to the lower leagues?
  • No because if we don't sign them before pre-season it will be "oh they didn't play with the team it will take 10 games for them to get running excuse" followed by "they only had half a pre-season" not acceptable imo, the club have known the striker situation for 6 months. We need someone who is going to be there day 1 of pre-season to gel with the team ready for the first game against Man Utd.
  • I'll make a bold prediction and say I'm pretty certain Ross Barkley will be a West Ham player come September.
  • Don't they want 50m for him ? can't see it at all.
  • We wanted that for Payet. Settled for half.

They won't get £50m.
  • For an English PL Homegrown Younger player. I don't see them selling for much less and I don't see us stumping 30m+ for a midfielder we don't really need.
  • So who should we buy then Yeold as Chelsea Man City and Arsenal have n't signed replacements yet ? If we are buying a PL experience player not having a full pre season should not matter plus we don't have Europa League to worry about this year. Most clubs have done little transfer business yet as players are away on holiday and most transfers are done towards the end of the transfer window. Signing a player a 3/4 week earlier we make little difference over the course of a season and we are signing players for the next 2/3 years.
  • edited June 2017
    If you insist we get one by the start of pre-season, then you're basically saying anybody will do - it's more important to get a warm body in than wait for a better quality player. I don't want that - I'd like a decent signing that will improve the 1st team. And if we have to wait for that, so be it - we want a player that's going to be good for us over 2 or 3 seasons, not someone to win the Betway Cup.
  • edited June 2017

I think we have a chance, Herbie. If he wants to leave Arsenal, and if he wants to stay in London and if he wants regular first team football then it's pretty much between us and Palace, realistically.

If those ifs.. but, I would imagine the 'staying in London' would be below a different set of 'ifs' - wanting to win stuff, and wanting CL football.

I think he could get all those PLUS regular games if he went outside London. I really don't think we have a chance. We're just in the mix to force the others to up their bids.
  • Of course he could. But if staying in London is important to him - and it may be for a number of reasons - then we have a chance.

Because we're West Ham United London.

That badge says so.

But yeah, I accept he will have better footballing options elsewhere.
  • Yeold

According to this: http://www.bbc.com/sport/36425471

13 PL transfers were completed in all of June last year (of which Feg was one.)

47 were completed in July and 51 in August.

Unless you are signing a free agent, getting a player in before the start of pre-season is really tricky.

Assuming we are after players currently attached, they will be getting their pre-season at their current clubs.
  • Given that new players generally can't sign before 1 July and pre season for most clubs start in the first week of July, actual signings before pre season are going to be rare.
  • Telegraph report we're after Nathan Ake of Chelsea.
  • How many did he score last season? ;hmm
  • Jeez if we'd just signed Defoe we'd have been sorted for 12 months!
  • I'll make a bold prediction and say I'm pretty certain Ross Barkley will be a West Ham player come September.

Oh no

First it was "piqi will come good"

Then "Sam would definitely be gone by June 14"

Then "nobes HOTY season 15/16"

And now this....

;lol

;hmm
  • As much as I'd have loved to sign our 2 new strikers ASAP it never happens,not just with us , but when u talking about players/strikers who more than 1 team want , it always drags on and goes to the wire, hope I'm wrong tho & Giroud & Bats/ ihanecho are Hammers very soon...
  • The cat has spoken....

Phil Parkes on Hart: "I’ve never really rated him – he makes too many mistakes. I can't see how the club justify spending high wages on him"
  • Wasn't this the dude who couldn't get a game at Chelsea?

BREAKING: Liverpool have signed Mohamed Salah for €45M. #LFC
  • Salah was excellent for Roma last season. Will he be too light-weight for the EPL? Time will tell. I don't think Serie A is very strong, outside of the top 3.
  • However, Moses couldn't get a game at Chelsea for many years. Didn't look too shoddy last season, though, did he?

Moral of the story - loan Salah to us for a season and then take him back!
  • To be fair, Moses couldn't get a game for US at the end of the season 15/16
  • May have been a motivation issue. But when things clicked last season, they sure clicked.
  • Shows what a good coach Conte is...

He made Luiz into a defender too...
  • By the way, talking of Roma, if we did want to cheaply improve our GK position, I'd love us to buy Szczesny. Apparently his price is only 15mn, and he was amazing for Roma last season. Don't know why they can't buy him from Arsenal, but at the moment they seem destined to lose him to Juve or Inter.
  • When he says "the club justify" does that indicate that he knows hart is coming?
This discussion has been closed.