Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• OK I confess myself thoroughly baffled.

Carroll needs to go because he's injury prone, but we should get Wilshere? Really?

Since the 9/10 season, Wilshere has missed 145 games and been injured for 945 days.

Since the 8/9 season, Carrol has missed 137 games and been injured for 1056 days.

Wilshere:

wilshere

Carrol

carroll
  • "Hey guys I've got something for you. It's about one of the players. Mahrez. He has said he doesn't want to play for Leicester again"......

Because he's 'fiercely ambitious' and wants to play at a higher level....
  • I don't want Wiltshire... to be honest I don't really want Carroll any more either.
  • edited May 2017
    Equally grey, swap that round.

Carroll should be retained because he is a quality forward on his day, despite his injury record, yet Wilshere should not be signed due to his injury record, despite his quality on his day.

Works both ways.

Carroll will remain at West Ham until his contract expires.

Difference with Wilshere is he's just had a solid season. 27 league appearances for Bournemouth. Carroll hasn't. 18 league appearances.

It would be a slight risk, but if you could get a 25 year old for around £10m from Arsenal, would it not be worth considering, even though he seems to miss every other season?
  • We will not sign two forwards who have shown they can score in this league (for example Defoe and iheancho) if Carroll stays IMO
  • I like a Begovic, but I don't think he's in a different class to our current GKs.

Leaving aside that Slav has said he's not interested n signing one, t would be too much of a like-for-like swap for me.

I want signings that are going to improve the 1st choice XI and push someone from that group down the pecking order. I don't believe Begovic does, nor Demarai Gray (sp?).

While I am ;hmm about AC, the one thing I know is - we didn't sign him knowing he would have so many injuries. With Wilshere, it would be precisely the opposite, and so it would be folly for a club in our situation to sign him, imo. We don't need to take that risk. Leave him for a newly-promoted club.
  • If Wilshere is available for around 10m he'd be well worth a punt. 10m is nothing these days (in football)

Begovic is a great signing by Bournemouth. Shocked Everton didn't come in for him, their keepers are terrible.
  • The lack of fanfare and celebration surrounding Adrian's contract extension IMO indicates we are going to try and get another keeper in and move him on in the process
  • edited May 2017

Begovic is a great signing by Bournemouth. Shocked Everton didn't come in for him, their keepers are terrible.

Or Palace.
  • Lukerz

When we signed ;ac there was no history of repeated injuries.

Wilshere has a history of injuries, and a long-standing issue with his ankle.

We've got Andy on the books, and I doubt we could get shot of him for much, so yeah, I say keep him and sign another starting CF.

I also say don't siign a known injury-prone player in a position where we are not desperate for players.

I don't see that as a contradiction.
  • If we sign Wilshere people will be on here in two years saying how we didn't learn our lesson signing injury prone players, IMO.

Twist I do agree about the lack of English / British playerS, though
  • Ex suggesting that we're a good few weeks away from signing a striker. Iheanacho and Bats remain our top targets but we're not close to either.

May be looking at wingers if Snodgrass goes to Brighton but the priority is two new strikers, so I guess we look at more word games to get us through the next month or so.
  • talkSPORT - @talkSPORT

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Fiorentina have set their sights on West Ham United midfielder Pedro Obiang, according to reports in Italy.

The Spaniard has been one of the main positives to take from a disappointing campaign overall for the Hammers and his fine performances have attracted the interest of clubs from around Europe.

Obiang, a former Sampdoria star, has been linked with a return to Serie A in the past but the Hammers have rebuffed any advances for the 25-year-old.

However, with Fiorentina bracing themselves for a summer of departures, they are keen to tie down a deal for Obiang and will test West Ham's resolve in keeping hold of him.

The midfielder contributed one goal and one assist in 30 appearances for the Hammers last season and has a contract until 2019 at the London Stadium.
  • We should politely tell them, to do one...
  • edited May 2017
    IMO Wilshire would be a waste, we don't need midfielders unless we are selling, but I agree with Grey on this, another sick note is not needed, just like Sturrige ....
  • Id rather go for Giroud
  • Just goes to show money doesn't guarantee success

Know a lot of people on here thought we should've gone for him and we missed a trick......hindsight is a wonderful thing ain't it

Personally I'd still take him but only if our key targets don't come off
  • I'd say its hard for any striker at Leicester when Vardy is always the main focus of attack and everything is geared to finding him. Okazaki does ok because he supports Vardy leaving little room for other strikers to play much.

The likes of Musa, Ulloa and Slimani suffer from the team not playing to their own strengths when they get a chance.

I think Slimani would do well at a Premiership club where he's the main striker
  • Islam Slimani is linked with WHU but one of things that Bilic should be mindful of is the number of players who might be lost for 6-7 weeks for the Africa Nations Cup. Not only that many players return with injuries and then miss a few more weeks in the crucial period. I guess, it is a matter of balancing the squad.
  • Pengeman ;ok
    No AFCON this coming year ;wahoo , only in Jan 2019 in Cameroon
  • jay,

Remember a striker is meant to be for more than one season, a first team built on African players is going to struggle badly when they all leave to attend the ACON. ;ok
  • Personally rather see us go for West Broms Rondon think he would do well here as a Lukaku Lite type player.
  • Not a fan of Rondon. Think he's average and very inconsistent. Would rather someone with a bit more potential to be a star, like Iheanacho.
  • Yeold

But there's no way Rondon takes us up a level (regular 10-8), never mind top 6, imo.
  • I would rather have him over Slimani not saying he is the signing we should go for.
  • If the option is Slimani or Rondon then I would want Rondon.

If the option is Rondon or Defoe then I would want Defoe.

If the option is Defoe or Iheanacho then I would want both ;biggrin
  • I think Hernandez and Inhenacho would be the two we should go for. If we can get Batman from Chelsea Perm by all means, but not on a loan...especially if we do go for Inhenacho and he has a buyback clause, then we are just papering over cracks again.
  • I don't think it is papering the cracks if he has a buyback clause, tbh. If the clause says that in 2 years they can buy him back for x amount then that works for me. If he comes in and is successful enough for 2 seasons that Man City want him back, then he probably would be leaving us anyway.
This discussion has been closed.