Summer 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• I think we have done very well with the players we have had and players fit for each game, If we had gone down with that lot we couldn't have been surprised. We need the striker situation sorted and that wont be cheap, we need the full back situation sorted and can probably do so for far less.

We have played with either a lone ineffective striker or a make shift non striker for most of the season. I love Andy Carroll, everything about his game and his attitude, but we need two premiership standard strikers so that he is a luxury when fit.

Our midfield is good and squad supported, Kouyate can support the centre backs and I think Adrian and Randy are ok unless for some reason Hart does fancy us. so Slav please just do the striker situation properly this time and I think we can progress again. It shouldn't be a complicated window but it will take serious money, so get cracking early lad, and remember no flights to Turkey.
  • Grey ,

all I remember is Snodgrass 29yrs Fonte 33yrs .

We may have spent 70m as you say but that doesn't make me feel any better
    about our transfer business last year or this ...

With the exception of Antonio and Lanzini and may be the young Fernandez
    our business was nothing less than a disaster .

we can only possibly improve on this this summer it should be a golden chance
    for our owner's to restore our support and faith in them .
  • edited May 2017
    I'd love Defoe and Zabaleta.

Defoe was in the right place and tucked his chance away nicely for England on March 26, so not convinced we can use his league scoring to suggest he lost the knack around January.

Zabaleta has been amazing in the games I've seen this season - even when he played in attacking midfield. He is just a class above Byram and hopefully can teach the lad a thing or two over a season or more while Byram will no doubt get some first team action and either cement his place long-term or show us we need a new first-choice R(W)B after Zabaleta's legs have gone.

• Slav please just do the striker situation properly this time and I think we can progress again. It shouldn't be a complicated window but it will take serious money, so get cracking early lad, and remember no flights to Turkey.

He's going into hospital at the end of the season for his hip operation, apparently.
  • What's the betting we start next season with Carroll, Sakho and Calleri as our striking options.
    An old right back that has seen better days and hardly any changes to our midfield. (I personally feel that Noble is no longer good enough in the Premier league).
    We will however be linked with around 6 million different players!!

Please don't let this be true!
  • MrsGrey said:

Slav please just do the striker situation properly this time and I think we can progress again. It shouldn't be a complicated window but it will take serious money, so get cracking early lad, and remember no flights to Turkey.

He's going into hospital at the end of the season for his hip operation, apparently.
    So he will not be around for Pre-Season what so ever I imagine judging by the recovery time from a Hip Op and walking let alone even think about jogging or running?
  • edited May 2017
    To get into the Top 8 =

New GK

New RB
    New CB

New CM x2
    New Winger

New Striker x2

(probably too much of an ask) ;lol

To stay in the Prem League

New RB
    New Striker

(hopefully) ;lol

To get into the Top 10 =

New GK
    New RB
    New CB
    New CM
    New Striker x2

(doable) ;lol

To Break the Top 6 (hell even 7th at this point maybe) =

A whole new squad apart from:- Lanzini / Antonio / Reid.

(Never happening)
  • If we keep all our CB's why would we need anymore ?
    Reid/Ogbonna/Fonte/Collins & Burke/Oxford & Cheikh at a Push...

• So he will not be around for Pre-Season what so ever I imagine judging by the recovery time from a Hip Op and walking let alone even think about jogging or running?

That's Slav. ;puzzled
  • If we keep all our CB's why would we need anymore ?

Reid/Ogbonna/Fonte/Collins & Burke/Oxford & Cheikh at a Push...

Burke and Oxford (as youngsters bedding in) aside from them, i personally don't rate Fonte / Ogbonna i think they are very average CB's and not top 10 class. Collins is an adequate backup but no more than that. I think if we wanted to get into the top 8 regularly we would need another Center Back as good as Reid.
  • A whole new squad apart from:- Lanzini / Antonio / Reid. ;hmm

I'd add Kouyate and Obiang to that

I think if we could get someone like Begovic ok but if not, Adrian isnt suddenly a bad goalkeeper

GK - Adrian Randolph
    RB/RWB - Zabaleta(if we're getting him)/Byram (Antonio RWB)
    LB/LWB - Cresswell/Masuaku
    CB - Reid Ogbonna Fonte ..... Collins Burke Oxford (Kouyate if needed anywhere at the back or Midfield)

Obiang/Kouyate ..... Nordtveit

Lanzini/Antonio/Feghouli/Ayew ..... Fernandes

Striker/Striker/Carroll/Fletcher

That makes 24 (without players like Snodgrass/Noble/Sakho/Calleri or any of the youngsters like Quina/Rice etc) if we can get Zabaletaand 2 strikers anything on top of that IMO would be a bonus and the player(s) would have to be pretty decent to get in front of our first team players (I expect Feg and Ayew to be better than this season) into that X11
  • brookings

As I said, bemoan the deals we made, by all means, but mostly they weren't frees, and for the most part weren't players over 26 years of age.

If you are only going to judge our owners on whether transfers turn out to be stellar signings, I suspect you will find fault with them every year.

They backed the manager last year with proper money. It didn't work out (at least this season. There are players who may well still come good.)

Stoke spent over £18m on Imbulla and he has played 14 senior games.

Not every transfer works out.

• Yeold.

My Mum had her hip replaced and was out of hospital in a couple of days. They wouldn't let her leave until she was able to walk up and down some stairs. Slav will be fit and ready for pre season.
  • Baz i think Obiang and Kouyate are good are players but i dont think top 6 worthy...
  • Not sure Suze. If we are signing Zabaleta then he starts ahead of Byram for me

Good point ;ok
  • Baz i think Obiang and Kouyate are good are players but i dont think top 6 worthy...

Fair enough. But I think if a top 6 side knew either play was up for sale both of them would be courted. Spurs have asked about Kouyate a couple of times ( I believe before Wanyama). I'd put both of them ahead of someone like Can at Liverpool too. Also ahead of the DM at Arsenal. MAn Citys DM isnt too great either but I think they'll buy someone better than who theyve currently got. Man Utd have Carrick and Herrera. I doubt that competition would frighten either of our lads. I'll give you Chelsea though ;biggrin
  • Bayshuyai has scored again.....

Could've done with Chelsea leaving it to the last day and them playing Costa

Why would anyone who's top 6 worthy want to come to us?
  • Bayshuyai has scored again.....

Could've done with Chelsea leaving it to the last day and them playing Costa

Was pretty poor throughout the game though, first touch was like watching Carlton Cole
  • Pretty much no chance of getting him now we should move on and look at a 35 year old unheard of South American ;lol
  • MIA not saying we would sign a top 6 player but thats the current gulf between us and them as it were.

Our recruitment should be to get in the best champo players at a decent age and quality from either within the PL or from Europa league / Champs league clubs outside of the PL.

Getting in Zabaleta at his age and making him potentially one of your highest paid players makes zero sense.
  • Rumours so far today Dries Martens / Pavoletti / a young Nigeria forward from Belgium whos name I have forgotten Henry Onyuku I think , Zabaleta and Everton want Lanzini ;hmm
  • I'm gonna go for the obvious comment... The second guy isnt match fit but he's got an excellent career in singing if he fails to make the first team ;run
  • ;lol I had to read it twice, when I first saw PLFs post.
  • It's a vicious circle, and no I am not referring to the midfield tussle between Barton and Noble! ;biggrin

You need to be playing in Europe to attract the likes of Mertens etc but you won't get there unless there is a freak of a season like last year or you spend over the odds on wages. We are not going to be able to shop at the second level let alone the top clubs.
  • Che Zach Everton Fred Adams. Blimey......
  • So, C&H print story linking a player, and then the story is 'player linked'.

All a bit circular.
  • Hypothetical question for you guys

If we sold Lanzini to Everton from £30mil but got Sigurdsson for £25mil.....would that be a good deal?
This discussion has been closed.