January 2017 Transfer Speculation

Comments

• I think Hogan would be a good addition and think if we sign him RB should be next priority . Snodgrass would be a good replacement for Feghouli if he goes, he knows the league and scores goals
  • Ayew has massively underwhelmed - whatever his exact position is, he has shown nowhere near the quality to justify his price tag

For me, pound for pound one of the biggest let downs of our summer additions.
  • I think Feghouli and Ayew have been written off too quickly. They've come in at a time when the team is seriously disjointed. Feghouli, IMO, has shown more than Ayew but both of them are good players, they've shown it over several years on big stages. Part of the problem, I believe has been the uncertainty over where we're playing people. I think the failed Antonio RB project plays a role in that. If we play with wing-backs, where do we play Feghouli? He's not really a wing-back, he needs to be further forward. Then who do we drop if we want to play Ayew off a striker?

Trying to shape things around Zaza didn't help either IMO, neither did the injuries.

I'd rather we keep both of them and hope by fixing the RB and ST positions we can start the season anew. I really don't see why Snodgrass wouldn't be victim to the same problems and I don't think he's close to the player Feghouli could be if everything was working better. Unless Feghouli is sold for a significant enough amount that we make a profit.

I really would prefer we didn't start over. I think not fitting in all the players we brought in was the problem in the first place, why do that again? Fix the problem positions.
  • Regarding the balance of the team, I think we always look best with a 4-2-3-1, and I think that's what we should get back to as regularly as possible. Feghouli's natural position is on the right of that 3, Ayew's is probably in the middle of the three, maybe the left.

Randolph

? - Reid - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Kouyate - Obiang / Noble
    Antonio / Feghouli - Lanzini - Payet / Ayew
    Carroll / Hogan
  • If we were to sell him, we could fund moves for Trippier and Hogan quite comfortably, with change to spare I should think.

Randolph
    Trippier - Reid - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Kouyate - Noble/Obiang
    Antonio - Lanzini - Ayew
    Carroll/Hogan

Looks like a pretty good, balanced side to me, tbh.
  • edited January 2017
    ;wave

The Payet discussion had spread across threads, so I've tried to consolidate all the Payet-specific comments on his own, and retain here only those that are linked with new transfers in.

Let me know if one of your comments has gone astray, and I'll fix it.
  • edited January 2017
    Spurs will not sell Trippier to us so that's a non-starter.

RB should have been priority way before a striker, we have a striker at the moment, we don't have a RB at all.
  • Sell Payet for £30/35 mil and start with Tripper for £10mil and £15mil for Hogan

Keep Ayew and Feghouli, hoping one of them can up it up and make up for the loss of Payet

Randy
    Trippier Reid Ogbonna Cressy
    Antonio Obiang Kouyate Lanzini
    Carroll Hogan

Or maybe Kouyate at CB for Ogbonna who's been woeful which hill allow Noble to come in
  • We have to keep Feghouli and Ayew now. And can someone please steal Snodgrass's car and bus pass just to make sure that doesn't happen?
  • Snodgrass bid of £5m rejected
  • Sell Payet and give Swansea what they want for Sigurdsson.
  • Apparently Watford hijacking Hogan as we won't pay the asking price. ;hmm
  • Lukerz - have an agree. he's not going to be there much longer. Plus he's only 27 so DG can't complain there's no re-sale value
  • this bad news just gets worse every day what a mess we are in .

if we lose Hogan to Watford then we really are the laughing stock .

who decides what a player is worth .. normally the selling club I would have thought
    if we want him sorry we need to pay the money its that simple , or are we going to learn nothing from the summer window and end up with the board talking up a 33yr old striker who used to be good ..

fed up going to bed early tonight hope I wake up to better news about the Hammers .
  • edited January 2017
    Watford have Jerome Sinclair, Brentford had made enquires about him as a replacement if we bought Hogan but now Watford could do a part ex. Hogan's scored 14 this season, after him the next top scorer is a CB with 3 so its easy to see why the Watford deal is more attractive to the Bees.
  • That would just about sum things up, wouldn’t it

Just pay the £15m.

Please.
  • OCS - £15m isn't much use if you can't spend it, if we were to offer the Bees someone on loan to replace Hogan they might be more receptive. Martinez or Fletcher maybe although not sure if Fletcher would want a loan deal after last time.
  • any links for this Watford story there is nothing on newsnow that I can see ;hmm
  • edited January 2017
    ASLEF - maybe, but all this haggling has opened the door for other clubs. If we offer £15m now, with a take it or leave it ultimatum, it will force Brentford's hand. Sure, they could say no and hope Watford come up with a suitable offer, but risk losing £15m, which would be a big deal for a club that size.

I would just hate to think that we’d lose out on one of our main targets for the sake of £2m
  • one thing that has happened and is just our luck , is this now takes the focus
    off who's coming in and becomes all about Payet staying at the club ..

some would say good bit of spin on the boards part ;wink
  • It might explain the Man City debacle.....
  • Have. We. Signed. Hogan. Yet.
  • How about now?
  • Errrrm. Still no.
  • Google search for 'news' by 'most recent' deliver a few hits - both the Daily Star and some blog thingy have articles (from earlier this morning, nothing more recent) but all link back to the Sun report from yesterday.

Which claims ... initial fee of £9m agreed, but wrangling over add-ons still going on - could be a £15m deal in total. Nothing signed and sealed yet.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/2591568/west-ham-transfer-news-scott-hogan-set-to-move-to-london-stadium-after-15m-fee-agreed-with-brentford/
  • Premier League leaders Chelsea will move for 29-year-old West Ham playmaker Dimitri Payet, who Hammers boss Slaven Bilic says is refusing to play for the club. (Sun)

• typical link up transfer window journos but Id swap him for Fabregas and Batshuayi
  • Man U are apparently willing to let Memphis Depay leave for Stg 15m, report on the BBC says that only Lyon have come in with a bid and it is significantly less than Man Uutds valuation

i have seen Depay play a couple of times and I think he is useful, the 15m valuation does not seem unreasonable for a talented 22 yr old
This discussion has been closed.