The Wayne Quinn Derby: West Ham v Sheffield United - Monday 15th February 2021; 18:00

So, time to concentrate on the league. We seem to be running out of options up front, so I think we're looking at the return of the False 9 for this one. I expect we'll see something like:

Fabianski

Coufal Dawson Diop Cresswell

Rice Soucek Fornals

Bowen Lingard Benrahma

The Blades have actually come into some decent form of late and will probably fancy this one, particularly as Antonio and Ogbonna are looking doubtful.

There were, however, encouraging signs from the Lingard/Benrahma combination against Palace, so hopefully they'll find that again and cause some problems. Not sure Bowen should be starting at the moment but lack of options means he probably will, although Fredericks has played quite well on the wing so it wouldn't surprise me to see him start this one.

Need a win to give the season a bit of a boost, but I'm thinking score draw right now.

Comments

• The Ravel Morrison Derby 😎
  • Fabianski

Coufal Dawson Diop Cresswell

Fredericks Soucek Rice Fornals

Lingard Benrahma
  • I think, if Ogbonna is out, we will see:

Fabianski
    Coufal - Dawson - Cresswell
    Fredericks - Souček - Rice - Johnson
    Benrahma - Lingard - Fornals
  • I'm pretty sure with no forward option Moyes will resort to a back 5 again. He doesn't have the personal up front to change anything else he has option in defence to change something though.
  • edited February 2021
    I think Fredericks has added energy and pace in his recent showings, has looked "up for it" and deserves the chance ahead of an out of sorts Bowen. If we cast our minds back, he was also in good form at the start of the season, but injury/illness (I can't remember which) led to him missing our to Coufal who has clearly made the starting RB berth his own.

I like Lukerz team but am concerned of a lack of height in the back 3, so I'd prefer to stick to the back 4 with Diop (assuming Ogbonna is out injured) meaning Johnson would go back to the bench from that team.
  • Yeah that sounds good
  • Diop was concussed last night so he is possibly going to be unfit. That leaves Balbuena as the second CB, which is ok.
  • Moyes seems to think Diop will be ok. Scans for Ogbonna and Yarmolenko today, so we should know later whether they're a doubt for Monday.

Rumours that Antonio will be 'fit', too. Not sure I'd risk him, to be honest. May as well give the false 9 a go because we'll definitely need it at some point this season.
  • Diop had a bump on his head so they removed him as a precaution. He finished the first half ok as did Martial who played most of the second too.
  • Genuinely think Benrahma in the false 9 would work.
    Has the threat of running at people.
    And will also drop deep, with players following him as he is a threat which will create spaces for the wingers to move inside.
  • Genuinely think Benrahma in the false 9 would work.
    Has the threat of running at people.
    And will also drop deep, with players following him as he is a threat which will create spaces for the wingers to move inside.

Yeah, I think Benrahma, Lingard and Bowen could work really well as a three. Lots of switching, plenty of pace. Just needs Bowen to find some form and Benrahma to get a goal.
  • I think playing ten men with no striker would be a better option than we had on show last night
  • Lingard as the false 9,And just for Mrs grey, If only we had Haller still to fill in =) Well had to get him in a new thread =)
  • Need that fishslap.
  • Just play Lingard in Antonio's role
  • C&H report Oggy is out for at least a month & Yarmo the remainder of the season with a knee injury.
  • That's one loss and one unfortunate slice of luck.
  • Lukerz said:

C&H report Oggy is out for at least a month & Yarmo the remainder of the season with a knee injury.

lucky we have a deep bench to cope then , doh
  • IronHerb said:

That's one loss and one unfortunate slice of luck.

Can you clarify who u are referring to here?
  • We have cover for Oggy and you or me, or possibly Cuz, could cover for Yarmo.   😂
  • So u mean the one loss is Yarmo? I'm confused here...
  • Lukerz said:

C&H report Oggy is out for at least a month & Yarmo the remainder of the season with a knee injury.

And this is where the frustration comes from. An injury to Yarmolenko was always possible. An injury to Antonio was always likely.

And yet we still did nothing in January to mitigate it.

There is an argument to say it gives Odubeko a chance, but after Tuesday we have no idea whether he's mentally ready to lead the line, let alone whether his game is up to it.

So it looks like Lingard was the striker we needed to sign after all, as it seems likely he's the one that'll be playing there.
  • edited February 2021
    Fabianski
    Coufal - Dawson - Diop - Cresswell
    Souček - Rice
    Bowen - Benrahma - Fornals
    Lingard

Looks like our new 11
  • Think your right Lukerz only change i might make is Costa for Lingard =)
  • So u mean the one loss is Yarmo? I'm confused here...

The loss is Oggy. Yarmo won't be missed imo.
  • A very nippy and interchangeable front 4 but very lightweight
  • yoyo said:

A very nippy and interchangeable front 4 but very lightweight

Yeah, with that four I can't see our crossing game being of much use, unless we're using Soucek as a third man runner.
  • edited February 2021
    They will win us countless corners & then it’s over to No. 15 & 28.
  • Lukerz said:

They will win us countless corners & then it’s over to No. 15 & 28.

Like NFL special teams
  • Ex said Antonio is an option to play. Personally, I think it's only been a week and I don't want him to start. I'd rather risk missing him against the bottom team than miss him over the next month or two.