The Wayne Quinn Derby: West Ham v Sheffield United - Monday 15th February 2021; 18:00

1789101113»

Comments

• Lukerz said:

Lanzini has 2 goals & 4 assists (Premier League) over the last 3 seasons (2018/19, 2019/20, 2020/21). In total, that’s 46 league appearances (25 starts).

I know stats don’t tell the whole story, but given in two of those seasons we’ve had no real danger of relegation, & where he plays, I think you are entitled to expect more than 2 goals.

Last two seasons surely, 2018/19 doesn't count as he didn't set foot on the pitch until the end of February thanks to the injury he picked up ahead of the World Cup and then missed another couple of games in April. Last season he had the shoulder injury.

Without doing the maths I reckon he's probably spent more time injured and on the bench than on the pitch; a useful squad player rather than a first team regular.
  • Lukerz said:

If anyone needs dropping its Bowen currently.

Thought he was good on Monday
    He was certainly better, but he's still not quite right. I did read yesterday that he's had tonsillitis, so maybe that's been affecting his performances.

On the Lanzini debate, I don't think he's being made a scapegoat of; just that he isn't contributing what we know he can. For an attacking midfielder to have so few goals and assists makes me question what he does bring to the team. Fornals works harder (IMO), Benrahma is more effective in the final third, Lingard has arguably done more in three games than Lanzni has in three years in terms of game impact, and even Yarmolenko has contributed a few assists and key passes this season.

I really hoped Lanzini would get back to his best, but I think he's still a way off it. When I see his name in the line-up I just can't see what he'll bring to the table nowadays.
  • The reason Moyes started him was purely to give him some minutes so he's warmed up when he's needed to hit a 25 yards screamer against Spurs on Sunday, it's obvious really.
  • That works for me.
  • He’s still got points in the bag for me from the 3-3 result so I say use him sparingly
  • We are actually in that position in which all teams playing will find themselves, with good players unable to secure a starting place.

Lanzini, Fredericks and Diop would all fit into the starting line ups of a good deal of premiership sides.
  • MrsGrey said:

Noble made no tackles. Lanzini made 1.

Noble had 1 aerial duel. Same as Rice and Lanzini had 0.

Noble had no shots. Neither did Lanzini.

Noble made 22 passes compared to Lanzini' s 27.

Dribbles - 0 for both players (Surprising? Lingard 8, just for comparison)
    Noble made 1 interception, Lanzini 0.
    Blocks and Clearances - Noble 0, Lanzini 1.
    Fouls, Lanzini 0 Noble 1.

Touches, Noble 24 Lanzini 35. Lingard 61.
    Losing possession, Noble 0 Lanzini 4. Lingard 4.

Of course this doesn't tell the whole story of a match as there is no context. And we aren't comparing like with like. But it isn't fair to say Noble did nothing and imo also unfair to say Lanzini is being scapegoated.
    I was yelling at the TV every time Lanzini lost possession but looking at the stats he wasn't as bad as my perception.

If you think Lanzini was playing more like Lingard and Bowen, you can compare their stats. I got all this from whoscored.

Maybe we should compare Benrahma and Lanzini but it would have to be in different matches.

This suggests Noble may well have been brought on to retain possession when we were winning. He was successful at that.
  • Lanzini.... I wasn't saying Lanzini should play ahead of Benrahma, but I was trying to say that he's now ok as a rotating forward. I'm delighted that we now have four ballers up front who link up well. No-one knew where they were playing because they interchanged all the time - a problem for defenders.
  • Love the Tevez comments.