The Wayne Quinn Derby: West Ham v Sheffield United - Monday 15th February 2021; 18:00

Comments

• Well that was a very professional performance. Not our best performance but a job well done.

This is a very different West Ham from the one we've seen over the years. And I like it.

Think the game plan was very clear to play a purely counter attacking style tonight. Not sure I’d want to see it weekly, but it certainly did the trick tonight.
  • Happy for Diop and Johnson who I thought did well. After not too many games this season they stepped up and are adding more competition. Johnson’s getting more and more confident on the ball on that left side.

The rest did well as usual. I don’t ever remember Lingard being this fast. Really good performance from him. Benrahma just so effective. People see those stepovers as a touch too many but that’s how he’s created space for Fredericks.
  • Lukerz said:

Well that was a very professional performance. Not our best performance but a job well done.

This is a very different West Ham from the one we've seen over the years. And I like it.

Think the game plan was very clear to play a purely counter attacking style tonight. Not sure I’d want to see it weekly, but it certainly did the trick tonight.
    I liked watching it. I like watching teams do all elements of the game well, and I think we did today.
  • The only way we can play without a target man and we're doing it well
  • Excellent performance from Johnson although Lingard gets my MOTM. Not sure about this false number nine business, I mean a RB, CB and DM score the goals.

Overall a good all round team performance against a workmanlike but generally poor Sheffield United team. Bring on the Spurs.

COYI
  • I was impressed with Diop and Lanzini, I thought they did rather well considering they've not played much this season

But then Sheff U were really awful
  • A very good performance considering without our main attacker and best defender.

Johnson, Lingard, Rice and Fab for special mentions.

Benrhama should have been given more time as he is looking very dangerous and set up Fredricks beautifully for the final goal. He is better than Lanzini at present.

The next few games will provide the opportunity to see how near we are to being a genuine top 6 side, if we are still in the 6 by the end of March it will be a really interesting run in. Spurs, City, United, Leeds and Arsenal. need 7 -9 points from this possible 15 and will need to start with 3 points at Spurs.
  • I love the way Moyes is keeping everybody’s feet on the ground.
    Tonight was “We can play better “.
    Perfect.
  • Craig Dawson though. Decent, isn't he.

If you told me at the start of the season that our best attacker would be Jesse Lingard and our best defender was Craig Dawson, I'd have wept.

But this is where we are.
  • A great watch and great result. Moyes deserves so much praise for what he is doing.
  • C&b sky

Are you sure our best defender wasn’t playing today?.. 😂
  • Our season is starting to unravel as we are down to 5th already.
  • thorn, I really hope we don't unravel any further.
  • Have I missed something? When did we ravel?
  • It still hurts that we could lose to a lower team like Liverpool!
  • Happy Happy monday night
  • Have I missed something? When did we ravel?

• The expressions on those Spurs fans faces.....
  • Did anybody have even an ounce of doubt that Dec would fluff that penalty?

Nor did I. Man’s a machine. Reckon he could play in goal.
  • edited February 2021
    Great result and I will take a clean sheet any day, 3-0 may be a bit flattering but we are looking hard to beat right now, everyone seems to know their job, was especially pleased for Diop, I think it has been a tough year for him and I agree with the earlier comments re Lingard, I do not remember him being this fast.

COYI
  • Great result and I will take a clean sheet any day, 3-0 may be a bit flattering but we are looking hard to beat right now, everyone seems to know their job, was especially pleased for Diop, I think it has been a tough year for him and I agree with the earlier comments re Lingard, I do not remember him being this fast.

COYI

Maybe by comparison to the Manchester United players he is slow and by ours he’s fast?
  • Dawson, what a signing that man has been. He seems to be revelling in the responsibility of being the main man. I think since Ogbonna went off against United, he’s gone to an even higher level.

Was impressed again with our flexibility. I didn’t like what we offered - attacking wise - against United, but switching back to a 3/5 at the back over the last two games, having played a back four pretty much since Masuaku’s injury, & still winning 3-0 with Johnson playing as a LWB. Really good.

Plus, taking the opportunity to grasp 3 points after all results went our way. Ogbonna & Antonio missing. Just excellent.
  • I presume it's as good as done we're signing Dawson? ( Isn't he still on loan?)
  • edited February 2021
    Also that first penalty, I’d like to see it when Rice actually struck the ball. It seemed the ball was off the ground when they froze the frame.
  • So happy for Dawson as I am sure when he agreed to the loan and saw Ogbonna, Diop and Balbeuna he likely thought he might get a few cup games but would be getting his wages regardless. To have been given the chance to contribute and blow everyone away as he as must be so satisfying. I posted a comment last week about what a shame it is that we cant show the love to our Czech superstars in person, the same goes for Dawson as he would be having his name sang loud and long at the moment and fully deserving of it as well.
  • The other good thing is all the teams around us now have champions league matches again so play a double header in Feb. That's a big advantage to not have to play those games. Spurs travel to Austria on Thursday and then play us on Sunday. I wonder if Soucek and Coufal will be briefing their mates from Slavia Prague regard their visit to Leicester this Thursday. Watch the fella who looks like Albert Steptoe.
  • Lukerz said:

Well that was a very professional performance. Not our best performance but a job well done.

Sheff Utd left themselves wide open for the counter attack. I'm not sure all teams would be as complying.
  • alderz said:

Have I missed something? When did we ravel?

Typical fickle Spuds fans, the woman in pink and the bloke to her right leaving already =)
  • Lukerz said:

Did anybody have even an ounce of doubt that Dec would fluff that penalty?

Nor did I. Man’s a machine. Reckon he could play in goal.

I had a little wobble, I'll be honest. The Lingard shenanigans before hand had me leaning towards a miss.

• I must say I would have preferred Lingard to take it.