Transfer Speculation

New thread to keep us ticking over for a while..

Comments

• MOYES EYES NEW STRIKER

David Moyes wants West Ham scouts to track Blackburn forward Adam Armstrong ahead of a summer bid, reports the Sun on Sunday.

Former England U21 Armstrong, now 23, has scored 17 goals in 26 Championship games this season.
  • Yes Rav, never too early.

We all know what we need. Hopefully scouting and conversations have begun for the three key positions we need to strengthen.

Budget wise, one assumes we have the £30m Moyes was told he had last month plus, what, another £30m based on the summer window?

Yarmolenko, Lanzini and Anderson can go (if they're replaced), but not sure we'll see a great deal of money coming in for them, but wages saved will amount to a lot.
  • I think the financial impact of COVID is biting & I think Moyes is wary of wasting money. If he’s going to spend, he wants the club to get it right. I can imagine, whilst fans aren’t in grounds, if he was to spend £20m & get it wrong, he won’t be given another £20m to rectify it.
  • Teamtalk reckon we're looking at Diego Costa who is still without a club. He's currently in Brazil and has been connected with various clubs over there although he could just be visiting family.

He was born in Lagarto
    Lagarto is Portuguese for "lizard"
    A town called "lizard"?????

Eurosport claim we're looking to sign Brentford's Ivan Toney in the summer

Oh and rumour magnet Gonzalo Montiel has signed a new contract with River Plate (although it does have an £18m release clause).
  • Surely Costa would have to isolate on his return for at least 2 weeks? Then get up to premier league fitness. The longer he/we wait the less we'll get out if him. I think if we were interested in him then we may have moved earlier
  • Brazil is a red zone so he would have to do the 10 day hotel thing. (And I think people would be outraged if an exception was made given the new rules).
  • Of course they are
  • He is in the prime of his career and fully belongs on the European stage. We need to make sure it is with us, next season.
  • They probably see him as Pogba's replacement.
  • would the double Daves cash in on Deccers and Soucek in the summer, let me think :(
  • These Ivan Toney links are frustrating to read. Supposedly a Moyes target, he's now got 21 goals and 7 assists with Brentford this season. If he moves in the summer, he'll cost at least £20m.

Back in August we could have got him for £5m.

And this is where our lack of a scouting network really hurts us. Brentford seem to the polar opposite; paid less than £2m for Watkins and sold him for £28m. Bought Toney as a replacement for £5m and stand to make at least four times that in a few months time if they decide to sell.

If we do get him he looks like a good fit, but we'll have to pay big money for him, whereas we could have got him for relative peanuts just six months ago.
  • If we had bought him in the summer people would have moaned we were buying a League 1 striker for peanuts and showing no ambition. You could argue we paid £19 mio for Soucek and he is worth 3 times that now and Coufal the same . You could argue if Chelsea had kept Salah and KDB would win the league but they might not be the players they are today if they did.
  • edited February 2021

If we had bought him in the summer people would have moaned we were buying a League 1 striker for peanuts and showing no ambition. You could argue we paid £19 mio for Soucek and he is worth 3 times that now and Coufal the same . You could argue if Chelsea had kept Salah and KDB would win the league but they might not be the players they are today if they did.

Personally, I don't think they would. Moyes was talking up his 'Red Bull Model' vision in the summer, and Toney - young, British, hungry to improve - fitted the bill. He was a 1 in 2 striker for Peterborough (40 goals in 76 games) which in any pro league is a good return, and at £5m would not have been a big risk, particularly as Moyes paid £10m for Hugill who was 1 in 4.

Honestly can't see that too many people would have griping if we'd have signed Toney in the summer.

• edited February 2021
    Well a week after deadline day, Moyes’ plan has gone perfectly:

Antonio - injured
    Yarmolenko - injured
    Odubeko - subbed off after being subbed on
  • OCS maybe but he did n't make it at Newcastle dropped two dvisions before scoring an a regular basis I don't think many people would have been over the moon in the summer maybe now he is scoring in the championship aswell he looks a better prospect
  • Lukerz said:

Well a week after deadline day, Moyes’ plan has gone perfectly:

Antonio - injured
    Yarmolenko - injured
    Odubeko - subbed off after being subbed on

I've seen a few things on social media saying that Antonio is available for Monday.

Given our history of playing him when he's not been 100% and aggravating existing niggles, I'd be very wary of him starting.

But this always the risk. A very likely risk, at that.
  • a win in this game will calm things down
  • I mentioned Toney a while back. Reminds me of a FIT Andy Carroll
  • You have good memory yoyo.
  • OCS maybe but he did n't make it at Newcastle dropped two dvisions before scoring an a regular basis I don't think many people would have been over the moon in the summer maybe now he is scoring in the championship aswell he looks a better prospect

But there's a big difference between not being over the moon and actively moaning about a signing.

I know what you mean though; it may have been seen as an underwhelming signing by a lot of fans, but my point really was about how the club missed an opportunity to sign him for £5m last summer. If we want him this summer he'll not only cost a lot more, but will also have more suitors due to his form at Brentford.

Soucek is a good example of where we've got it right, but I'm hard pressed to think of too many more that we've scouted and got for a good price in recent years (I'm not counting Coufal as he was recommended by Soucek).
  • edited February 2021
    Mark Lawrenson said the other day Moyes is quite a hesitant manager when signing players.

He used Bowen as an example, & said Moyes asked him whether he’d seen him play much & Moyes wasn’t convinced he had the pace for the PL.
  • He asked Lawro?
  • edited February 2021

He asked Lawro?

That's Moyes' reputation ruined
  • a win in this game will calm things down

Until the Tottenham game. 🤔

• He’s hesitated a whole year in terms of signing a striker and we’ve signed no-one but have got rid of plenty in that time.
  • If Brentford are promoted why would Toney leave ?
  • He asked Lawro?

Yep, and he replied 2-0 Liverpool
  • Leeds United, Southampton and West Ham could rival Tottenham for the signature of Sampdoria's Denmark midfielder Mikkel Damsgaard, 20. (Star)
This discussion has been closed.