The January Transfer Window

So, a LB/LWB, a CM and a ST it is then.

The 'no value in January' line that's been spun in the past is pretty redundant now having brought in Soucek and Bowen on decent deals last time round, so it'll be interesting to see what happens. Will probably depend on where we are in table, but I'm not expecting much business at all (although if the Benrahma money is coming from next summer's budget, does Moyes have £20m available 🤔)

Mods, feel free to close down the other transfer thread as the summer window is such old news.

Comments

• I would imagine Moyes is pretty happy with current squad. Championship has pretty much been swept up. Main priority should be getting Moyes on a long term deal.
  • There’s no point in ever giving a manager a long deal. If he has a run of bad games people will call for his head and a long contract just meant more compensation. If we get to March and all is good then give him another year.
  • Hmmm. Let me think.
    I guess we're gonna be needing a CB, LB, LWB, DM, ST and training facilities.
  • IronHerb said:

Hmmm. Let me think.

Yup, well summarised

Can I add new owners to that list please
  • I knew I missed something. 😂
  • Ibl I think your winding me up please on what basis would you want moyes tied up on a longer deal or is it just me ?
  • IronHerb said:

Hmmm. Let me think.

We definitely need a left wing back, but otherwise we can wait to see how we get on til January to make a judgement.
  • Cuz1 said:

Ibl I think your winding me up please on what basis would you want moyes tied up on a longer deal or is it just me ?

Moyes and his team have been a breath of fresh air. We don’t deserve anywhere near the dedication and professionalism they bring to the table.

• alderz said:

There’s no point in ever giving a manager a long deal. If he has a run of bad games people will call for his head and a long contract just meant more compensation. If we get to March and all is good then give him another year.

That would be disrespectful
  • Cuz1 said:

Ibl I think your winding me up please on what basis would you want moyes tied up on a longer deal or is it just me ?

Moyes and his team have been a breath of fresh air. We don’t deserve anywhere near the dedication and professionalism they bring to the table.

Couldn’t disagree more but ok with your opinion I believe personally we’ve been lucky to stay up saved by luckily have worse sides than us, I will reserve judgement on him till the season ends given this is his first full season with us
  • Long way to go this season, and he will be judged on how he does

But I'd be very disappointed if Moyes wasn't here next year

I agree with IBL, think he's been a breath of fresh air

He isn't the best manager in the world, and his use of subs literally has me pulling out my hair....but what he's done and how he's transformed us from a team with no spine and no legs to one who work as a unit is fantastic

The team has never looked fitter and more organised the it does under Moyes, and so far the players he has brought in have been top top picks

He has done enough imo to pick the players he wants and mould the squad in his image, even if I (we) won't personally agree with every decision he makes

I've enjoyed his interviews were he tells it how it is and hopefully this time next year COVID won't be as big a deal and we will be able to back him more
  • Moyes has worked wonders with the fitness of the squad. No longer the 60 minute team we were.
  • Randolph, Diop, Fredericks, Noble, Lanzini, Yarmolenko, Haller

Dawson, Snodgrass, Benrahma not even making the bench based on the current 11. I assume Benrahma, next week, will come in for one of Lanzini/Yarmo.
  • "Everybody knows our decision was that we wanted to bring in central defenders or defenders because we generally needed them,” Moyes told whufc.com.

“We didn’t quite get the centre-halves because we bid for some good ones.

“The club did a brilliant job in trying to make offers for what I thought were really good centre-halves. But (we) just couldn’t get them for different reasons.

“Then, on deadline day we lost Felipe Anderson so that changed a bit of the balance of the squad. We didn’t expect to lose Felipe and it gave us a bit of an opening to decide if we wanted to go for somebody else.

“We decided to go for Said Benrahma and it came off.”

From Moyes, doesnt sound like someone who is unhappy

Does indicate to me that he was picking the players we targeted, and also indicates that we will be after Tarkowski again either in Jan or next summer
  • Who knows if we will try again for tarkowski

There’s little in what he says which gives an indication one way or another.

And also it may not be known for sure why all the various c-b bids did not yield a result.

My own view is that although a figure of £30-£40m may have been reported as a budget, this may have been a gross dealing figure. The actual cash available may have been considerably less so many offers might have been backloaded.

Who knows though?
  • Tarkowski is reported to want to stay in the north. We ought to be looking abroad in January where there is better value. Burnley are being linked with Simakan for £15 million maybe they will sell JT if they sign him and thereby make a massive profit.
  • Tarkowski will be cheaper next summer after Burnley go down.
  • How much did we actually spend £6 mil on couffal £4mil on Dawson and £5 mil Benrahma loan fee £4 mil Wilshereay off and we had £30 mil to spend so we are about £10mil up , I know the structure of the deals means we probably did n,t receive and pay those amounts we must of balanced the books nicely plus wages must be lower now
  • Rumour we will go back for king in January when he will bill cheaper as in last 6 months of contract
  • "Everybody knows our decision was that we wanted to bring in central defenders or defenders because we generally needed them,” Moyes told whufc.com.

“We didn’t quite get the centre-halves because we bid for some good ones.

“The club did a brilliant job in trying to make offers for what I thought were really good centre-halves. But (we) just couldn’t get them for different reasons.

Ringing endorsement for the Dawson signing
  • I think Dawson would understand the situation.
  • Rumour we will go back for king in January when he will bill cheaper as in last 6 months of contract

And so will a lot of other clubs I believe at a reduced rate
  • Long way to go this season, and he will be judged on how he does

But I'd be very disappointed if Moyes wasn't here next year

I agree with IBL, think he's been a breath of fresh air

He isn't the best manager in the world, and his use of subs literally has me pulling out my hair....but

Think he may be more liberal with subs if he has Said on the bench for example. In the past I don’t think he trusted his subs for more than 10 mins

• The Sun says Man U will want £20m for Phil Jones in January despite him not being included in the Champions League squad and not even being named among the substitutes so far this season.
  • Luckily I think his wage alone will be beyond what West Ham would have contemplated (if indeed we are interested)
  • Why would we pay over the odds in fee and wages for not much better than we’ve got if any better imo
  • £20m?! No chance. Worth half of that at best
  • Think Jones would be similar to Stones in that he would probably do very well with a fresh start and would show some quality in a mid table to lower tier prem club

But £20mil is a big commitment to a player who has been out of form for a long while
  • edited October 2020
    Maybe but I feel like we say this about a lot of players who come down from big clubs, except Phil Jones has never really performed, in my eyes. He was overhyped for a couple of years, which maybe leads to how people view him now, but I don't think there's any proof he'd do anything for us. Nothing to suggest he's better than Diop, in my opinion.

Never played 30 league games in his career and often hasn't even played 20.
  • wouldn't Moyes have tried to sign Jones already?
This discussion has been closed.