The January Transfer Window

Comments

• There's no difference if you're played in a position where you aren't good.
  • Assume if you aren’t good in set position you wont be very effective. I read recently about the Madrid defensive player currently much more effective for the team as a goal scoring winger.
  • Sure. Antonio's attributes also have meant he has performed well up front instead of in his old position as a winger. Changing position doesn't meant you're out of position, but you can still be out of position if the new role doesn't work for you. Anderson has been criticised for tracking back and not taking players on. So as a wing back, he'd have to both defend more and play a role where he'd have to provide key width and push us up the pitch when we're under pressure. Playing it on the left means he'd also have to check his instinct to use his right side. Otherwise we just have a winger playing very deep, not a wingback. That's out of position.
  • If he doesn’t like to track back or take players on he shouldn’t be near a starting position on either wing as wing back or winger.
  • I guess that's why he isn't.
  • Anderson seems to be struggling to play to a pretty decent standard as a winger, I doubt he'd be any better playing out of position

No such thing as out of position anymore. Only most effective position for the team
    I’m sorry but that is very, very, very far from the truth.
  • Maybe in the 1970’s
  • In my opinion Anderson is still a class player , he is only 27 , he has the attributes , which is why I said he ought to be able to play LWB so it just comes down to fitness and management - I believe his form would return with a run of starts.
  • edited November 2020

Maybe in the 1970’s

1970s, eh? Ajax, "total football", Cruyff, Neeskens, jumpers for goalposts...

In my opinion Anderson is still a class player , he is only 27 , he has the attributes , which is why I said he ought to be able to play LWB so it just comes down to fitness and management - I believe his form would return with a run of starts.

Anderson is only going to get a run of starts if he's better than the players currently in the starting XI. I don't think he'd make a better LWB than Masuaku and at the moment I don't think he's good enough to replace Fornals, Bowen or Antonio in the front three.

Or Rice, Soucek, Coufals, Cresswell, Ogbonna, Balbuena or Fabianski as apparently there's no such thing as out of position any more.
  • West Ham have also been linked with former World Cup winner Khedira. (Sport Mediaset, via Team Talk)
  • West Ham have also been linked with former World Cup winner Khedira. (Sport Mediaset, via Team Talk)

How very West Ham of us
  • Yes at 33 he’s deffo long term
  • I was only really thinking in terms of cover for Masuaku if he were to pick up an injury or suspension because that had been raised as an issue we needed to address in January.
  • Anderson has played wing back before for Lazio and WHU. Problem is not his ability in said position - it’s total lack of commitment!
  • Anderson is not the answer he unfortunately has not progressed, not fancied by the manager and has been a blow out at 35m - 40m we paid for him.
  • Go back in for Josh King. Bring in another defender
  • He’s obviously a class player just don’t understand why it hasn’t worked for him? After all he had a good start imo
  • edited November 2020
    Anyway, he’s on loan. We should address the position properly in January. I’d rather bring in the right player than call him back to gamble on whether he can fit in there. Whenever he comes back, hopefully he can start playing well again.
  • I can't see us calling him back. More like Porto sending him back.
  • If they can

Saw an article on C&H saying that there was no chance

He doesn't have a future here, but apparently Porto are covering his wages fully...so why would we recall him, he's a shell and even like that for over 2 years
  • I would be up for Fredericks returning to right wing back and Coufal dropping to right centre back. Doubt it will happen with Diop and Dawson waiting for that position though
  • So you’d be up for moving Coufal out of the position where he’s really impressed, so that he can play as a centre back, somewhere he has never played in his career. I’m glad you’re not the manager!
  • I would not like to see Coufal at centre right back as although he's taller than Cresswell having both in a back three would make us very vulnerable to crosses from either flank. He is probably our number one right wing back now, though it may make sense to rest him after the International break (and associated travel) and give Fredericks a run out, assuming he is fully fit.
  • Using that theory we should also rest Balbuena, Soucek, Haller and Benrahma. Hmmm
  • Slav rested Diangana (again) yesterday after 62 minutes.
  • Real Madrid star Mariano Diaz has reportedly been offered to West Ham on a loan deal in January with an option to buy. (The Sun)
  • Cant give him away by the sounds of it.
  • Let’s keep it simple - just find out who seems to be doing ok for Slavia Prague and try and target them.
  • edited November 2020
    Mariano is third choice centre forward behind Benzema and Luka Jovic but started against Villarreal at the weekend and scored. Benzama is injured and Jovic failed a Covid test after international duty.

By coincidence Mariano's last start back in May 2019 was also against Villareal and he scored then.
This discussion has been closed.