AZ Alkmaar v West Ham, Thurs 18th May, 8pm ECL Semi-final 2nd Leg (1-2 agg)

edited May 2023 in Match Threads
Surprised no-one has opened a thread for this match so thought I would.

Huge game, going into it with a slight one goal lead from the first leg. Both teams played today, 9 changes for us for our 2-0 defeat by Brentford, 2 changes for AZ, one of which was Kerkez coming back in after being suspended for the first leg, in earning a 5-1 victory against a relegation threatened side.

As you might imagine, it was a comfortable day for them, and they made 4 substitutions just after the hour mark. One of those introduced was Jesper Karlsson, their usual LW who missed the first leg through injury, so we're likely to see a strengthened left side for the second leg with potentially improvement at both LB and LW.

Antonio is our main injury doubt after being left out of today's squad entirely with a calf issue; as usual his absense could create a lot of issues given that Ings is so unsuited to our usual style of counter-attacking play which, given they need to come at us, you'd think could be effective. Had Fornals or Cornet played well today I think Bowen would have been an option through the middle should Antonio not be able to start, but they hardly pressed their claims so it looks like it would have to be Ings if Antonio misses out through injury.

At least a number of our players were rested today, but unfortunately few of our usual bench players suggested they are capable of changing the game should they be needed to do so, Mubama being the possible exception but he's very raw still and I find it hard to see Moyes trusting him in such an important game if we're struggling to get a result.

I think it's fair to say that we underperformed in the first leg, but equally they tend to be much stronger at home than they are away, so this match could easily go either way, but you'd hope we have enough to get through the tie.

COYI ⚒⚒⚒

Comments

• AZ had a good weekend, beating 16th place FC Emmen 5-1 with all five goals coming in the first half

Same starting XI as against us apart from the return of Hungarian international Milos Kerkez at LB and 18yo CB Wouter Goes replacing Pantelis Chatzidiakos who was absent for some reason

In addition Swedish international LW Jesper Karlsson made his first appearance since 15 April, coming on in the 65th minute
  • Not sure if that worked properly or not..

‘How can we lose to Alphabet FC’ 😂
  • Areola
    Kehrer - Zouma - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Soucek - Rice - Paqueta
    Bowen - Antonio - Benrahma
  • He won't drop Aguerd, and nor should he. Otherwise that's our strongest line up.
  • But will he play 4-3-3 away from home? Can't see it myself.
  • IronHerb said:

He won't drop Aguerd, and nor should he. Otherwise that's our strongest line up.

Aguerd is far more error prone than Ogbonna IMO.
    But I’ll accept it could be 1st season syndrome
  • But will he play 4-3-3 away from home? Can't see it myself.

We always play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, so the lineup will be basically the same either way
  • alderz said:

But will he play 4-3-3 away from home? Can't see it myself.

We always play 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, so the lineup will be basically the same either way
    Either will probably be more of a 4-5-1 in all reality.
  • Matchday minus two and counting.

COYI ⚒⚒⚒
  • edited May 2023
    Pantelis Hatzidiakos was suspended on Sunday, picked up his 5th yellow of the season against Ajax
  • Let’s hope this ref is better than his Turkish colleague from the 1st leg
    Referee: Ivan Kružliak (SVK)
    Assistant Referee 1: Branislav Hancko (SVK)
    Assistant Referee 2: Jan Pozor (SVK)
    Fourth Official: Sven Jablonski (GER)
    Video Assistant Referee: Marco Fritz (GER)
    Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Christian Dingert (GER)
  • Let’s hope this ref is better than his Turkish colleague from the 1st leg
    Referee: Ivan Kružliak (SVK)
    Assistant Referee 1: Branislav Hancko (SVK)
    Assistant Referee 2: Jan Pozor (SVK)
    Fourth Official: Sven Jablonski (GER)
    Video Assistant Referee: Marco Fritz (GER)
    Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Christian Dingert (GER)

Let's be honest, he'd struggle to be any worse.

Just in case anyone was wondering (I was), the VAR will be, AFAIK, in UEFA HQ on the shores of Lake Geneva; I thought it unlikely to be at Stockley Park for our home leg so looked into it a little.
  • Ivan Kružliak, 365 matches inc 24 internationals, 1756 yellows, 66 double yellows, 36 reds

He was ref for England's 4-0 win over Moldova in 2013
  • Matchday minus one and counting.

COYI ⚒⚒⚒
  • Respect the draw
  • I'm nervous.
  • I'm excited.
  • Another one for nervous
  • How about agog? No he doesn't play left back 😉
  • I'm nervous.

IronHerb said:

I'm excited.

I'm Spartacus
  • Oh alright .. no I'M Spartacus. And agog.
  • If we get through to the final I promise not to mention Liverpool ummm until August.

I'm not nervous, just want us to do a job there and give everyone a West Ham in a cup final day
  • Bazshuayi said:

If we get through to the final I promise not to mention Liverpool ummm until August.

I'm not nervous, just want us to do a job there and give everyone a West Ham in a cup final day

Quoted so no editing 😂🤣😂.
  • Up and out with the sparrows in the morning for a few hours staring at a float 🎣 and trying hard not to think about football🤞.
  • Slacker said:

Up and out with the sparrows in the morning for a few hours staring at a float 🎣 and trying hard not to think about football🤞.

I know it changed a good while ago, but back when I last went fishing we'd now be in the close season.

Have been thinking about getting back into it, I mostly fished for carp back then, and I can't believe how much that's changed in recent years judging by a few Youtube channels I've watched recently; back then a double was an achievement and a twenty something special. Nowadays everyone (slight exageration) seems to catch 30s, 40s, 50s and even 60s.

• edited May 2023
    Yeah I had a few years chasing big carp Buffy but got fed up humping half a house worth of gear about . I’ve come full circle in the last ten years or so and love nothing more than being beside a lake as dawn breaks waiting for that float to disappear just as I did as a kid.
  • Team news from today's pre-match presser:

“Micky Antonio has travelled and so has Vladimir Coulal. They’re both doing well so hopefully they both have a good chance of playing.

“Everything else seems okay, so hopefully elsewhere we’re in the clear.”

https://www.whufc.com/news/live-blog-david-moyes-and-tomas-souceks-pre-az-alkmaar-press-conference
  • No mention of any new injuries from Jansen's press conference, along with LW Jesper Karlsson AZ also have 25yo AM Dani de Wit back, got 25 minutes against FC Emmen on Sunday after four months out with a foot injury.

Started 28 out of 29 games he's been available this season and scored 13. Would replace Sven Mijnans if he is in the starting XI
  • No mention of any new injuries from Jansen's press conference, along with LW Jesper Karlsson AZ also have 25yo AM Dani de Wit back, got 25 minutes against FC Emmen on Sunday after four months out with a foot injury.

Started 28 out of 29 games he's been available this season and scored 13. Would replace Sven Mijnans if he is in the starting XI

Tough decision for him, whether to start either or both of them, knowing he'll have to bring them off, or put them on for the last half an hour knowing it could be an hour if things go to extra time. In a way, starting them makes sense as far better to do that than bring them on and they break down, wasting another substitution.