AZ Alkmaar v West Ham, Thurs 18th May, 8pm ECL Semi-final 2nd Leg (1-2 agg)

Comments

• Benrahma gone in summer, hopefully, with an upgrade
  • If we can ride out the second half for 20 minutes i think they will over commit and we should be able to push through with some pace. Would look at getting Cornet on around the 65th - 70th minute mark just to stretch the game.
  • edited May 2023
    Not unhappy with the score, and the performance wasn't too bad. They opened us up a couple of times, but we weren't without chances either, and, if last week is anything to go by, our fitness could be an edge in the second half.

Kinda looks like we're playing a 4-4-1-1; Paqueta seems further forward than Bowen and Benrahma at times (basically just saying our wide players, especially Bowen, are aware of their defensive responsibilities this evening).

Fiorentina have levelled up the other tie on aggregate.
  • Antonio and Paqueta have done well, but not a lot from anyone else in an attacking sense.

Defence seems to be coping, but I'd really like it if the forwards would give them at least another goal cushion.

My concern is I look at the bench and don't see many game changers if we need it. Cornet has the potential to be that, but just hasn't fired this season in the limited opportunities he's had.
  • Okay so far
  • edited May 2023
    Good first half, They had lots of possession, but didn’t look like scoring - although we are West Ham! 😜⚒ We’ve looked dangerous on the break, but too often our final ball has been poor. Hope they tire like last week. A goal from us should finish their confidence.

• Should be 1up on the night .that worries me
  • 45 mins to go, hopefully that's all we'll need.

COYI ⚒⚒⚒

See you all on the other side.
  • No shots on target:-(
  • All AZ in this second half. They've picked up the pace here.
  • I hate this!
  • When was the last time anyone felt comfortable watching West Ham?
  • MIAHammer said:

0-0 HT
    That's okay. We're a 2nd half team.

So far, they are proving me wrong.
  • When was the last time anyone felt comfortable watching West Ham?

Bournemouth. 4-0.

Also I was pretty comfy when we got beat by Man City.
  • I don't think AZ can continue the pace of the game for the full 90, fully expect the pace to drop from them around the 70th Minute. If we can keep the concentration and wait for the right moment we can do some serious damage.
  • That Aguerd tackle just scared the life out of me
  • alderz said:

That Aguerd tackle just scared the life out of me

I made a noise that I've never made before and can't really explain.
  • edited May 2023
    I really hope the Irons can get to the final.

Best game I ever saw at Upton Park was the quarter final of the CWC in 1981, when West Ham actually lost 1-4 at home to Dynamo Tbilisi who went on to win the trophy. First and only time I witnessed Upton Park applauding a side that had just beaten West Ham.

• We're lucky not to give away a penalty. Aguerd looked like he didn't make contact with the ball until after taking down the player.
  • First point on the agenda for pre-season: learn how to cross the ball. Been woeful again tonight.
  • First point on the agenda for pre-season: learn how to cross the ball. Been woeful again tonight.

Then throw ins.
  • Two yellows for time wasting already
  • I think we need to learn to pass and keep the ball first. We cant even do that
  • I think we need to learn to pass and keep the ball first. We cant even do that

Yeah, that too. Going to be busy at Rush Green.
  • That was a mad tackle to make by Kehrer on a yellow
  • I don't think AZ can continue the pace of the game for the full 90, fully expect the pace to drop from them around the 70th Minute. If we can keep the concentration and wait for the right moment we can do some serious damage.

Problem is our players look more tired than theirs!

Then throw ins.
    It's been years since we've been able to retain the ball from throw-ins. Hasn't been a priority for the last few seasons. Can't see why they'll try now.
  • Fornals to score the winner.
  • Fornals for Benrahma in the most predictable substitution in the history of the game.
  • How’s that not a foul on Benrahma, and then WHY did Bowen go on the outside rather than cut in and shoit