West Ham V AZ Alkmaar, Thurs 11th May

Comments

• So presumably there will be little change. Areola is typically the cup keeper, so I assume he’ll play.

Areola; Kehrer Aguerd Ogbonna Cresswell; Soucek Rice Paqueta; Bowen Antonio Benrahma
  • Yep, same team as Man Utd but Areola in goal. He likes to give Emerson games in this so that is the only other possible change. I’d stick with Cresswell, though.
  • AZ (Alkmaar Zaanstreek) are currently 4th in the Eredivise, drew 0-0 with 3rd place Ajax on Sunday

Pascal Jansen joined AZ as a coach in 2018 and was promoted to manager in December 2020 when Arne Slot quit after agreeing to take over Feyenoord at the end of the season

4-2-3-1, Jansen has kept pretty much the same team in recent games

GK Mathew Ryan, 31yo, Australian captain, 79 caps, joined in January from FC Copenhagen. 123 appearances for Brighton 2017-20 and 3 for Arsenal 2021. Conceded 5 in 5 games against us but hasn't been on the losing side...yet

RB Yukinari Sugawara, 22yo, 3 caps Japan
    CB Sam Beukema, 24yo
    CB Pantelis Hatzidiakos, 26yo, 25 caps Greece
    LB Milos Kerkez, 19yo, 6 caps Hungary

CM Jordy Clasie, 31yo, 17 caps Holland, last was 2016
    CM Tijjani Reijinders, 24 yo, ex Dutch U20

RW Jens Odgaard, 24yo, ex-Danish U21, signed from Sassuolo in the summer
    AM Sven Mijnans,23 yo, ex Dutch U21, signed from Sparta Rotterdam on deadline day
    LW Myron van Brederode, 19yo, Dutch U20

CF Vangelis Pavlidis, 24yo 29 caps Greece, AZ top scorer last season, 22 goals in 35 appearances this season

Noticeable by his absence is 24yo Swedish international LW Jesper Karlsson (10 goals and 8 assists in 29 apps) who has been linked with Man Utd, Spurs, Fulham, Napoli, Rennes and Nice but has been missing since 1st April with a thigh problem. He might be available for Thursday

Alkmaar is famous for its cheese market (Fridays April - September) so unsurprisingly AZ's nicknames are the "cheese heads" and "cheese farmers"
  • If you did that with our line up and also included transfer fees I doubt anyone neutral would expect us to get beat.
  • And they'd be right. ⚒
  • edited May 2023

GK Mathew Ryan, 31yo, Australian captain, 79 caps, joined in January from FC Copenhagen. 123 appearances for Brighton 2017-20 and 3 for Arsenal 2021. Conceded 5 in 5 games against us but hasn't been on the losing side...yet

RB Yukinari Sugawara, 22yo, 3 caps Japan
    CB Sam Beukema, 24yo
    CB Pantelis Hatzidiakos, 26yo, 25 caps Greece
    LB Milos Kerkez, 19yo, 6 caps Hungary

CM Jordy Clasie, 31yo, 17 caps Holland, last was 2016
    CM Tijjani Reijinders, 24 yo, ex Dutch U20

RW Jens Odgaard, 24yo, ex-Danish U21, signed from Sassuolo in the summer
    AM Sven Mijnans,23 yo, ex Dutch U21, signed from Sparta Rotterdam on deadline day
    LW Myron van Brederode, 19yo, Dutch U20

CF Vangelis Pavlidis, 24yo 29 caps Greece, AZ top scorer last season, 22 goals in 35 appearances this season

I think Kerkez is suspended for the first leg.

• Blessed are the cheese makers.
  • edited May 2023

I think Kerkez is suspended for the first leg.

Well spotted

He picked up two yellows in the games against Lazio and a third in the last game against Anderlecht.

He served a match ban for 4 yellows in the Eredivisie in January, replaced by Mees De Witt (25, joined in the summer from relegated Zwolle)
  • Blessed are the cheese makers.

I think he meant all producers of dairy products. =)
  • Same team as against Man Utd but switch Fab for Areola like usual in this competition. Also it’s a toss up between Emerson or Cress.
  • COYI

Points taken off for you not giving the KO time in multiple time zones.

Tut tut.
  • MrsGrey said:

COYI

Tut tut.
    Almost as bad as alderz, the original Ronseal hahaha
  • edited May 2023
    MrsGrey said:

COYI

Tut tut.
    Have you seen the price of electrons these days, I'd have needed hundreds of them to put the time info up. However in a fit of generosity

Click Here
  • MrsGrey said:

COYI

Tut tut.
    Almost as bad as alderz, the original Ronseal hahaha
    😮
  • I haven’t finished reading the opener of the thread yet, give me a chance.
    Talk about war and peace!
  • Referee is Halil Umut Meler of Turkey who has awarded 1348 yellow cards including 38 2nd yellows and 35 straight reds in 278 games

So on average that's 4.8 yellow cards per match and a player sent off every 4 games

He's a little more forgiving in European competition, 28 games, 103 yellows (3.7 per game) and just one red card

So Cresswell and Downes to stay on the bench?
  • I saw this link to a video previewing the game over on KUMB, worth a watch imo:

• Match day ,Nice and easy 3-0 win please
  • Am nervous
  • Right looking forward to tonight.❤️⚒
  • It's going to be a lot tougher than many people seem to think.
  • No new injuries for AZ, Jansen says Odgaard has recovered from the foot problem that forced him off after 40 minutes against Ajax
  • Nervy, but confident
  • This is not going to be easy by any means!
  • edited May 2023
    Interesting article on BBC in relation to AZ - particularly the comments re Brentford and Brighton towards the end ... https://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65549007
  • I think all four teams in the semi-finals are pretty evenly matched, and all four teams will be thinking they've got a chance of winning the whole thing. Just looking at the Eredivisie form table. AZ are 8th in the past six games, winning 2, drawing 2 and losing 2.
  • Dodger58 said:

Interesting article on BBC in relation to AZ - particularly the comments re Brentford and Brighton towards the end ... https://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65549007

But Southampton have the famous 'Black Box', which is all about data collection, and look at them now.
  • If the ref doesn't blow for every time Antonio competes with one of their CB's we have a good chance of winning. If its another European ref that blows for everything and hands out cards like candy then its going to be a tough one.
  • If the ref doesn't blow for every time Antonio competes with one of their CB's we have a good chance of winning. If its another European ref that blows for everything and hands out cards like candy then its going to be a tough one.

He’s from Turkey… so

• Love Turkish delight. The real stuff not that Fry's rubbish.