West Ham V AZ Alkmaar, Thurs 11th May

Comments

• I got off from work a few minutes before our goals. Thankfully didnt have to stress for the minutes played prior to them. If we can go there and play on the counter it'll be amazing to get to the final, especially for the younger fans who havent seen us in one before :)
  • edited May 2023
    We won which is great, although would have liked a 2 goal cushion, but considering we were 1 down, well done.
    Apart from one wasteful shot after good link up with Ings, Benrahma my MOM by a fair distance.
    Pity Paqueta had one of those average/ poor games, too often this season sadly IMO, although like the team he did improve in the 2nd half.
    Areola was a spectator in the 2nd half, pity he didn’t do better with the goal…
    Not going to be easy in the 2nd leg, they have a fantastic home record in Europe, but then again our away form has been decent…
    COYI ⚒️⚒️⚒️
  • edited May 2023
    alderz said:

I missed the game as I was at an awards ceremony (won 2 🤷🏻‍♂️) but a win is all I wanted to see

Was "Best Stat" one of them? Or possibly "Best supporting statter"?
  • Souceks the most frustrating for me... its more of a surprise if he does make a good pass

Did you not see the silky backheel?
  • Good old Moyesy, tactical masterplan!
    Best I’ve seen Benny play for us.

All set up for some proper tension next week innit.
  • Welcome win though we were not at our best throughout the game. Benny was excellent and Pacqueta frustrating with too many loose passes. Need a master plan for next week. Antonio was limping after the game. Hope it is just tiredness and nothing serious.
  • edited May 2023

I can see 2-1(which would be a bit meh)

Called it right, it's going to be a stressful 2nd leg without a doubt.

Basel winning away at Fiorentina would potentially lead to a very winnable final.

• still confident, this AZ team really are a 60-70 minute team but i expect at their place they will push all the way i think we will hopefully be better on the counter.
  • Pengeman said:

Welcome win though we were not at our best throughout the game. Benny was excellent and Pacqueta frustrating with too many loose passes. Need a master plan for next week. Antonio was limping after the game. Hope it is just tiredness and nothing serious.

He had an ice pack strapped to his calf. Precautionary, hopefully, but I would rest him for Brentford anyway.
  • That ended up a pretty good rescue thanks to their keeper having a rush of blood to the head. I think Moyes is not suited to a two leg tie when the first is at home as it calls for his natural instincts to be put aside. I am still hopeful as we are clearly the better team and even at their place we should have enough. My fear is that Moyes may be the issue again if he sends them out to defend the one goal lead instead of seeking to strike first in Holland.

I don't think anyone aside from Benni and Bowen played well this evening and Paquetta was very frustrating. This bodes well in that should we play as we have done against a few premiership teams of late then next week should be ok. We can really improve on that performance.
  • It felt to me like a performance born out of last years semi-final defeat, especially when we lost the home leg first. There was a bit of caution & passiveness to the performance.
  • alderz said:

I missed the game as I was at an awards ceremony (won 2 🤷🏻‍♂️) but a win is all I wanted to see

Does a double take and scrolls back to check what I read...

Winner winner chicken dinner (©️ Rav).

Whadidya do??
  • Everyone keeps saying Moyes is the issue with how we set out to play but from his post match interview he clearly wasn’t pleased with the first half performance and said they kept making wrong decisions.
  • Bringing your actual facts to a forum.

Have you learnt nothing in all these years?
  • Full change for the Brentford game ?

Downes / Fornals / Lanzini / Cornet / Ings / Fabianski / Ogbonna / Emerson to all come in ?
  • edited May 2023
    On the ' lack of intensity ' thing... I do wonder if because of what happened last year, and the clear emphasis ( has been mentioned in several places by players or manager) on staying calm, not letting the pressure get to them, don't react if the ref is rubbish etc, that it resulted in a more laconic approach than we'd have liked to see.
    Anyway.
    The plan worked cos we won, and nobody got sent off.
  • Weren’t they 2 down going into the second leg in the quarter finals? It won’t be easy but hopefully we should be good enough.
  • Weren’t they 2 down going into the second leg in the quarter finals? It won’t be easy but hopefully we should be good enough.

They were, they lost the first leg 2-0 away to Anderlecht, who we beat home and away in the group stages.

We should be aware though that they were missing a few first choice players, one (Kerkez, LB) should definitely be back as he only missed this match because he was suspended.
  • Our midfield is better than theirs. But Decs, Paqueta and Soucek did not dominate until 30 mins to go.

If they control from the start next week we win.
  • BREAKING NEWS!!
    The WRONG CUP has been used all day!
    But we won.🎉

However I promise here and now never to risk it again, it’s just not worth it.
  • Areola 5
    Kehrer 6
    Aguerd 6.5
    Zouma 6.5
    Cress 6.5
    Rice 7.5
    Soucek 4.5
    Paqueta 6
    Benrahma 9
    Bowen 6
    Antonio 6
  • According to Sutton and Hutchinson on BT Sport after the game West Ham have never lost a European tie after having a first leg lead.
    If anything could put the mockers on it that would do the trick.
  • MrsGrey said:

alderz said:

Does a double take and scrolls back to check what I read...

Winner winner chicken dinner (©️ Rav).

Whadidya do??
    It was the British data awards and my team won best public sector organisation of the year, and innovation of the year. The innovation one was very unexpected, as no public sector team should really be winning that sort of award against the private sector normally
  • Flippin' 'eck.
    Well done!

And, you know, surely it's a myth promoted by the Tories that the private sector does innovation better than the public sector.

And also, you'd think a govt would want to aspire to have a public sector that's innovative and award winning. Rather than doing them down and having them as an operator of last resort to step in after the incompetence of the private sector becomes utterly impossible to excuse or ignore.

I'm sure your department/council will be trumpeting your successes far and wide.

I'm so pleased for you!
  • Slacker said:

Good old Moyesy, tactical masterplan!

And yet Benny was brought off. Can’t teach an old dog new tricks.
  • MIAHammer said:

Slacker said:

Actually surprised me, or not with Moyes.
    Considering Paqueta had been poor for most the game and on a yellow card you'd have thought he would have been the one subbed, especially as we can all agree Benrahma had his best game / or one of them for us last night.
    Oh well, Moyes knows best I guess.
  • MIAHammer said:

Slacker said:

Er, it wasn’t a serious post.Oh well.🤷🏻‍♂️

• Benny was subbed in the 90th minute, not like he was hooked after 65.

We did what was required whilst Rice had his most subdued game of the season. If he shows up next week we'll be home and dry.

It's a good result and puts the pressure on them to come and beat us.

COYI
  • Slacker said:

MIAHammer said:

Slacker said:

Er, it wasn’t a serious post.Oh well.🤷🏻‍♂️

Not quite sure Mia's post was either ?
  • I think at this stage of a tournament all that matters is getting results. Didn’t play well? Who cares. We’re leading into the second leg