West Ham V AZ Alkmaar, Thurs 11th May

12346»

Comments

• IronHerb said:

We did what was required whilst Rice had his most subdued game of the season. If he shows up next week we'll be home and dry.
    COYI

Even quieter than the Palace game?
  • IronHerb said:

We did what was required whilst Rice had his most subdued game of the season. If he shows up next week we'll be home and dry.
    COYI

Even quieter than the Palace game?
    At Palace he just couldn't get involved and he did look tired. Last night the game just seemed to pass him by. This maybe because he was tasked to stay deeper but his influence wasn't there.
  • I thought Rice was nicely involved in some of the Benrahma-Paqueta link-up play and was pretty tidy. I think you're right about not having much of a stamp on the game but can also see why that was hard. Rice is often best when there's a threat he needs to snuff out and for all the talk about their possession, I don't think they offered a massive threat.

Only 3 shots on target and 0 corners. We more than doubled their number of shots and shots on target and would have had more if it wasn't some sloppy play from Paqueta at key moments. I thought it was Bowen who was slightly anonymous, which was surprising as he's been good for the past few weeks.
  • Paquetta was most wasteful and I think could have been taken off around the hour mark. I was very relived he didn't step up for the penalty. I don't want a tip toe pause and shoot in such a moment. Benni needs real credit for that penalty in my view. Lots of pressure but took the perfect penalty. The perfect penalty is one in which should the keeper go the right way and at right height it still goes in! That exactly what happened. Keeper got everything right but still couldn't stop it as Benni placed it perfectly and with enough power. After that he should be our penalty taker as long as he is on the pitch in my view.
  • If only Benni could be as accurate from open play. He either gets in some really good positions and then blasts over/wide, or other times it seems like he lacks the confidence to shoot and ends up losing the ball.
  • If only Benni could be as accurate from open play. He either gets in some really good positions and then blasts over/wide, or other times it seems like he lacks the confidence to shoot and ends up losing the ball.

• Maybe that is his secret sauce, he tells himself that the idea is to pass the ball to the keeper, ergo, the ball gets blasted into the top corner