West Ham V AZ Alkmaar, Thurs 11th May

Comments

• Talk about wasting a half of football
  • Completely out smarted us
  • Lukerz said:

Talk about wasting a half of football

Yeah, I just didn’t really get what we were trying to do. Counter, I guess, but we were giving them so much time on the ball it almost felt like pre-season.

Have to step it up in the second and actually go for it now.
  • Am I missing something, or was that a push on Paqueta?
  • Also why are we so passive in defence. Just sitting off & allowing them acres of space & loads of time.
  • I don’t think it was bad at all but Paqueta’s performance is why is constant presence in this side since he signed has sometimes been frustrating. It always has to be him through the middle but we never get to see Benrahma there with Fornals wide (or those two swapped) or Cornet. The default is Paqueta has to play and he has produced so few moments.
  • Turkish ref hasn’t given us many, if any 50/50 decisions in the 1st half, let’s hope we and him has a change of fortunes in the 2nd half
    COYI ⚒️
  • 40% possession at home... no pressing... bad refereeing and bad goal keeping... sounds like any other west ham game 😂
  • Paqueta always has a first half where he doesn’t make a pass & flings himself to the floor constantly. Seems to get better second half.
  • As for Areola, Fab could be 70 & he’d still be ahead of him
  • My thoughts on the first half:

We've looked quite dangerous going forward; unfortunately that's not been often enough.

Poor by Areola for the goal; he shouldn't be scoring with that shot. Generally they've not looked too threatening though, which makes the goal conceded that much more frustrating.

I don't want to turn into one of "those guys", but the ref has given us very little.
  • Lots of time wasting by AZ which the referee seems to be happy with! Their game plan is working well.
  • If we’d played to the whistle the goal wouldn’t have happened. They need a rocket at half time
  • think we will do it in the second half this AZ team look like a 60 - 70 minute team last 20 minutes they will be fried imo.
  • think we will do it in the second half this AZ team look like a 60 - 70 minute team last 20 minutes they will be fried imo.

That may happen, but they're a much younger side than us and they've played a lot fewer games in the last month.

• My thoughts on the first half:

Poor by Areola for the goal; he shouldn't be scoring with that shot. Generally they've not looked too threatening though, which makes the goal conceded that much more frustrating.

This is a semi final of a major tournament. I don't understand why we're not playing our first choice keeper.
  • edited May 2023
    MIAHammer said:

This is a semi final of a major tournament. I don't understand why we're not playing our first choice keeper.

Fabianski has been less than stellar recently imo, although, as I said, I do think Areola shoulda done better with the goal.

• edited May 2023
    As I feared Moyes tendency to be careful has played into their hands. They have executed a perfect tactical plan.

As for the goal, Paquetta looked for it and the ref got that right.

We have only ourselves to blame at this point. I fear Moyes may send them out to take the 0-1 back to Holland knowing him. We do usually wake up when behind so lets hope they do so this evening.
  • edited May 2023

My thoughts on the first half:

We've looked quite dangerous going forward; unfortunately that's not been often enough.

I don't want to turn into one of "those guys", but the ref has given us very little.

The ref has been dreadful, IMO. He's not the reason we're behind, but he's given them pretty much everything.

Just wish we'd match the tempo from the Man Utd game. We seem far too passive tonight and if this was Plan A, I hope Moyes has something else for the second.
  • Am I missing something, or was that a push on Paqueta?

Clear, obvious and directly lead to the goal. What is VAR for?
    We were the more dangerous side though, so we should still win it, especially if the referee notices the time wasting!
  • Antonio's got to stop going down. He's getting nothing from this ref so stay on your feet.
  • Antonio's got to stop going down. He's getting nothing from this ref so stay on your feet.

Or, you know, just keep doing it.
  • Need Bowen and Paqueta to step it up. I don’t think we’ve been as bad as people are making out but we need all of the attack to have an impact.
  • They’re a very young side so are we waiting until they have to go to bed.
  • Need Bowen and Paqueta to step it up. I don’t think we’ve been as bad as people are making out but we need all of the attack to have an impact.

There's just no intensity though. And no real composure on the ball. AZ just passing around us at the moment.
  • Awful just awful
  • 2nd best so far in 2nd half, we can’t keep the ball and they look somewhat comfortable….
    COYI ⚒️⚒️⚒️

There's just no intensity though. And no real composure on the ball. AZ just passing around us at the moment.
    I think we’ve got into more threatening areas than them. They’ve had the ball but needed a long ranger that Areola should’ve done better with.

Around 4 times Paqueta has been in a good position and messed it up at the final stage. He should be doing better but we’ve been getting into those areas and I feel he’s played much higher than usual.
  • Their keeper, being ex Brighton has always found it easy at our place and tonight’s probably been his easiest.
  • Paqueta having a stinker so far…