West Ham vs Everton (H) Saturday 21st Jan

edited January 2023 in Match Threads
So probably one of the biggest games for both clubs this season.

Not sure this deserves a write up as we know both teams need a win to stay afloat. A loss probably means someone is getting sacked.

Wanted to do the Match Thread for both Moyes and Lampard getting sacked after a draw / loss.

What to expect:

1) A poor game of football.
2) Chants from all stands of "you're not to fit to where the shirt."
3) A toxic atmosphere from both sets of supporters.
4) Chants of "you're getting sacked in the morning."
5) Booing.
6) Possible fighting in the stands.
7) A high percentage chance of someone running onto the pitch in protest.

Comments

• 7) is that what you are planing Yeold..
  • 1) A poor game of football. - Probably
    2) Chants from all stands of "you're not to fit to where the shirt." - Unlikely from West Ham
    3) A toxic atmosphere from both sets of supporters. - Word of the moment
    4) Chants of "you're getting sacked in the morning." - Probably
    5) Booing. - Likely
    6) Possible fighting in the stands. - Unlikely
    7) A high percentage chance of someone running onto the pitch in protest. - Nah.
  • 8) We fail to win & David Moyes keeps his job?
  • We need flair and creativity to create chances.
    In view of fit squad that we might have, the starting eleven could be::

Areola
    Johnson - zouma - Aguerd
    Lanzini - Downes - Rice - Benhrahma
    Paqueta
    Scamacca - Bowen

But Moyes will field a defensive side.
  • edited January 2023
    Areola
    Johnson - Zouma - Aguerd - Emerson
    Fornals - Rice - Lanzini
    Bowen - Scamacca - Benrahma

Fabianski, Kehrer, Ogbonna, Coufal, Cresswell, Downes, Soucek, Paqueta, Antonio

Side needs a refresh.
  • Coufal has his best game of the season and gets dropped?
  • edited January 2023
    Areola
    Coufal Zouma Aguerd Emerson
    Downes
    Rice Paqueta
    Bowen Scamacca Benrahma

Fabianksi, Scarles, Kehrer, Ogbonna, Fornals, Soucek, Lanzini, Marshall, Mubama

This is what I'd go with. I know some will knock having the kids on the bench, but we need to try something different. On current form I honestly don't think Scarles or Marshall from the bench will offer any less than Cresswell and Antonio would, plus it may give the rest of the team a kick up the backside.

But I expect much of the same from Moyes. If we believe what he says, he thinks we're playing well enough to win games so I doubt he'll change much, if anything.

I think the rot is too far set to get anything from this game. Lampard will know that if they score first, the crowd will turn and it's likely to be game over. Both teams won't have a better chance of three points this season, and it won't be pretty to watch, but I can see Lampard fist pumping at the final whistle.
  • Yeold. I found your thread for the Everton game very sad. I will be at the game on Saturday and I go to watch football to have a good time. Hopefully to see a good game, not guaranteed of course, to have some banter and a chat with my mates and the people around us and to try and support the team. Your suggestions of what it may be like puts me off going, toxic atmosphere, pitch invasions, poor game, fighting in the stands. I will be going but don’t expect it to be like that, hoping for a home win and we all leave with a smile.
  • Areola
    Coufal Zouma Aguerd Emerson
    Downes
    Rice Paqueta
    Bowen Scamacca Benrahma

Fabianksi, Scarles, Kehrer, Ogbonna, Fornals, Soucek, Lanzini, Marshall, Mubama

Areola is still listed as suffering from a hip problem he picked up before Brentford in the Cup
  • edited January 2023

Yeold. I found your thread for the Everton game very sad. I will be at the game on Saturday and I go to watch football to have a good time. Hopefully to see a good game, not guaranteed of course, to have some banter and a chat with my mates and the people around us and to try and support the team. Your suggestions of what it may be like puts me off going, toxic atmosphere, pitch invasions, poor game, fighting in the stands. I will be going but don’t expect it to be like that, hoping for a home win and we all leave with a smile.

Unfortunately, I have been to the stadium (Boleyn included) in times exactly like these; fighting relegation, dissatisfaction with owners, players who clearly do not want to be at the club, managers who are consistently abused by supporters in the stands and I have seen ALL of what I have put forward on this thread. I no longer go to watch West Ham games (other than the odd FA Cup/League Cup game) , I prefer to go local games now for a variety of reasons when I can.

I hope the above doesn't happen but I wouldn't be surprised if any of those things or all of those things did happen.

The only thing I can say is good luck and hope you enjoy the game and hope you don't have to face those things. That you are able to go to a game to share with friends an experience not ruined.
  • I'm hoping the shared fortunes of the clubs will mean it will be more self-deprecating humour between the fans
  • I was there for the Burnley game. Horrific and my eldest never liked football again. I'm confident Saturday will be fine albeit a few boos etc.
  • Hamstew said:

I was there for the Burnley game. Horrific and my eldest never liked football again. I'm confident Saturday will be fine albeit a few boos etc.

Let's just hope The Irons give the fans a great performance and no reason to boo ( Gotta think positive ! ).....
  • He was on the bench last week so hopefully fully fit for Saturday.
  • edited January 2023
    I suspect we may produce a good performance this weekend. I think Zouma may start and sure up the defence. I just think the players will know this is do or die with this fixture and step up.

I am not suggesting anything fundamental will change enough to turn things around regard bigger issues, but for this match against an under pressure Everton I think we will produce a performance.

I will do a crystal ball job. An early goal from a defender 3-0 by 80 minutes 3-1 final score.

• Who's the ref? Is Mike Dean on var? It won't take much for this one to flare up....
  • edited January 2023

Who's the ref? Is Mike Dean on var? It won't take much for this one to flare up....

West Ham United v Everton FC

Referee: Attwell, Stuart
    Assistant Referee: Cann, Darren
    Assistant Referee: Mainwaring, James
    Fourth Official: Whitestone, Dean
    Video Assistant Referee: Marriner, Andre
    Additional Video Assistant Referee: Nunn, Adam
  • "Don't Panic!!" - Captain Mainwaring will help keep things calm
  • Neal Maupay hasn't scored since Everton beat us in September - which is ominous

On the positive side he's only started two PL games in the last nine and didn't even get off the bench last time against Saints
  • Aren't the three main officials the same ones who were at Old Trafford for the Manchester derby? Look what happened there!
  • edited January 2023

Aren't the three main officials the same ones who were at Old Trafford for the Manchester derby? Look what happened there!

The ref , Stuart Atwell and Assistant Darren Cann ( the one involved in the controversy) who also happened to be the assistant in the WC final in South Africa , so can’t get more experienced , are 2 of the 3 at Manchester derby , but the 2nd assistant has been changed ….
  • He was also the assistant at the 2006 cup final.
  • Lampard says no new injuries (RB Patterson, CB Keane, LW/RW Townsend and back up CM Garner all unavailable)

He's started 3-5-2 in three of the last four matches (tried 4-4-2, lost 4-1 at home to Brighton so don't see him trying that away against us)

Pickford
    Godfrey Coady Tarkowski
    Coleman Iwobi Onana Gueye Mykolenko
    Calvert-Lewin Gray
  • is Iwobi fit ,thought he was out for a few weeks
  • Iwobi was stretchered off with an ankle problem against Man U in the Cup but it wasn't as bad as initally thought and he played a full 90 minutes against Saints last weekend
  • Can anyone see a scenario where we win tomorrow, Everton sack Frank Lampard & they then pay us compensation as they want David Moyes back? 👍 I know it’s a silly question. 😁
  • Can anyone see a scenario where we win tomorrow, Everton sack Frank Lampard & they then pay us compensation as they want David Moyes back? 👍 I know it’s a silly question. 😁

A win, win situation 😆🤣😉

No, I can't see them wanting Moyes at all tbh.
  • I can't see Moyes wanting to take over a team he's just beaten - frying pan/fire situation