Viborg - UECL - Thursday 18th

I have a feeling this is probably not a Derby game at all

Comments

• Still trying to find out why Viborg wear green and have a shamrock on their badge. I've found a bloke who published a history of Viborg and have asked him

The things you do when you're on painkillers and bored!
  • ASLEF, What is the matter?
  • edited August 2022

Still trying to find out why Viborg wear green and have a shamrock on their badge. I've found a bloke who published a history of Viborg and have asked him

The things you do when you're on painkillers and bored!

Panathanaikos as well. You got me reading myself and didn't realise it's all over Europe.
  • No Moyes, Cresswell or Rice for this one.
  • ASLEF, What is the matter?

Got knocked over by a car seven weeks ago, landed on my backside, the bruising has gone but coccyx still painful

Panathanaikos as well. You got me reading myself and didn't realise it's all over Europe.

Panathanaikos have worn green and white since the club was founded in 1910 and adopted the shamrock/clover in 1918 although they weren't called Panathinaikos until 1922

No one seems to know why green and white with a shamrock but their first manager was called Campbell
  • Lukerz said:

No Moyes, Cresswell or Rice for this one.

Nor, presumably, Ogbonna or Dawson.

Cornet left back? Or Ashby (or Coufal left and Ashby right)?.

I'd expect Downes to play alongside Soucek, and Scamacca to get a start.
  • edited August 2022
    ASLEF, Good luck with the recovery.
  • Thanks, matey
  • Looks like it may have to be…

Areola
    Coufal - Zouma - Johnson
    Ashby - Soucek - Downes - Lanzini - Cornet
    Benrahma
    Scamacca
  • ASLEF
    "Got knocked over by a car seven weeks ago, landed on my backside,"

Circumstances, or would you rather not say?
  • Why no Cresswell?
  • Cresswell and Rice are banned.
  • Aslef. I feel your pain. Slipped down some concrete steps, in the rain, and you guessed it - caught the last step on my coccyx, then had to travel home from Scotland on the train. Hope you get better soon
  • ASLEF

I was crossing the road from Tescos to the pub (not the other way round), I was about six foot from the opposite kerb and a car pulled out from a side road. It wasn't going that fast but it drove straight into me, I went up on the bonnet and fell on my backside,

The car stopped, the bloke got out and all he could say was that he didn't see me, This was 3pm on a Sunday afternoon, the road was clear of traffic and I'm not the smallest person so not easy to miss. Lord knows what he was looking at (mobile phone?) but he wasn't looking where he was going.

He drove off without leaving his details but thankfully someone in the pub saw me get knocked down, the locals all came out and one of them got a photo of the licence plate.

I reported it to the Plod but apart from a confirmation letter I've not heard anything more
  • Just got a reply from the Viborg historian and it seems no one knows why they wear green or have a shamrock on the badge.

Just read that Celtic first wore the shamrock badge on away shirts in 1925 but not on home shirts until 1977
  • edited August 2022
    Maybe a shamrock to us is something else to other parts of the world.

Trefoil...trefoil knot...Gordon knot.

Got links to Greek mythology and French folklore.

Not sure about Denmark though 🤔
  • ASLEF

I was crossing the road from Tescos to the pub (not the other way round), I was about six foot from the opposite kerb and a car pulled out from a side road. It wasn't going that fast but it drove straight into me, I went up on the bonnet and fell on my backside,

The car stopped, the bloke got out and all he could say was that he didn't see me, This was 3pm on a Sunday afternoon, the road was clear of traffic and I'm not the smallest person so not easy to miss. Lord knows what he was looking at (mobile phone?) but he wasn't looking where he was going.

He drove off without leaving his details but thankfully someone in the pub saw me get knocked down, the locals all came out and one of them got a photo of the licence plate.

I reported it to the Plod but apart from a confirmation letter I've not heard anything more
    This is a very unpleasant story to read. I’m glad you’re mostly ok
  • MrsGrey said:

🤔

I think you've got auto-correct switched on MrsGrey. ;)
  • MrsGrey said:

Maybe a shamrock to us is something else to other parts of the world.

Got links to Greek mythology and French folklore.

Not sure about Denmark though 🤔

maybe its pub related :)
  • A local football club and fierce rival of Nuremberg plays in green /white and sports a shamrock in their badge.
  • MrsGrey said:

🤔

I think you've got auto-correct switched on MrsGrey. ;)
    MrsGrey, I think this might interest you, what with your Greece connection and all. ;)

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2001/sep/13/physicalsciences.highereducation
  • I thought it was transfer speculation

Gordon Knot

#LeftBack
  • edited August 2022

A local football club and fierce rival of Nuremberg plays in green /white and sports a shamrock in their badge.

Greuther Furth. Furth has a shamrock in its coat of arms (1835)

Henry Kissiner was a Greuther Furth fan

I've just been down a rabbit hole, ended up reading an academic treatise on the introduction and economic effect of clover in C19 Denmark agriculture (its all about the nitrogen)
  • A local football club and fierce rival of Nuremberg plays in green /white and sports a shamrock in their badge.

Greuther Furth. Furth has a shamrock in its coat of arms (1835)

Henry Kissiner was a Greuther Furth fan

I've just been down a rabbit hole, ended up reading an academic treatise on the introduction and economic effect of clover in C19 Denmark agriculture (its all about the nitrogen)
    There's the answer...it's a Viking Herb =)
  • edited August 2022
    Before you ask, yes he's my Danish brother. 😄
  • The Viborg historian wants to know a good pub for away fans

Any suggestions
  • Now THAT is my kind of fan!!
  • There aren't any designated away pubs near the ground but the Crate Brewery by Hackney Wick station would be a safe place to drink.
  • To clarify the above I'm not saying it's unsafe to drink around the stadium but pub security won't let away fans in. The Crate is more laid back, or should I say gentrified?
  • edited August 2022
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62575909
    Viborg team news. 2 players won't travel because they can't get visas.