Viborg - UECL - Thursday 18th

12346»

Comments

• For me, whatever our level was today, the teamsheet speaks for itself. It was hardly our strongest line up so things were most likely going to be disjointed at times. We hadn't started the season well and the victory will ease us the right way confidence wise.

Once Scamacca settles and adjusts to the Prem he will be quality IMO

Kehrer is class and, alongside Aguerd is an excellent defensive buy.

Cornet is pacey, tricky, direct and I believe he will force his way into the 11 more often than not.

Sometimes teams start slow in the season and perhaps when there are plenty of ins and outs that doesnt help. I also factor in that other teams are very aware of how we play now. Our new (higher level players IMO) will hopefully give the opposition something to think about and if we keep the injuries down we'll have plenty of competition (and I believe we'll bring in a left back plus another midfielder before the window shuts too) and that rotation will see us fresher throughout the season than previously
  • Tbh I think Coventry is on his way out, it's always been a stretch that he would make it up from a League 1 loan, and I'm not sure he's done enough to keep a place in our 25.
  • Kehrer's either left-footed or two-footed, because the majority of his touches and passes, from what I could see, were with his left. That makes him an even more interesting buy after our struggle with LCBs.
  • Stats places I looked at (sorry Alderz, I feel slightly dirty for checking into your realm) say he's predominantly right footed. He's known for high technical ability so I would imagine hes basically two footed with a right foot preference.

On those google travels I read that Bayern were sniffing around last year. So I think its a major coup to get him for 10M!
  • Kehrer look good when he came on so should be a starter

Came on at 2-0 up. Player 20 mins during which we conceded

What makes you think he should be starter.
  • MrsGrey said:

Kehrer look good when he came on so should be a starter

The goal happened because Ashby didn’t cut out the cross, and Coufal got outjumped. I’m not sure what any centre back is doing to cut that out. (That said, I’m not convinced that anyone can prove to be a PL starter against a Danish side)
  • alderz said:

MrsGrey said:

The goal happened because Ashby didn’t cut out the cross, and Coufal got outjumped. I’m not sure what any centre back is doing to cut that out. (That said, I’m not convinced that anyone can prove to be a PL starter against a Danish side)
    If you look at the video, you will see that Cornet lets his man go. He does not run with him and that exposed Ashby, and led to the goal.
  • edited August 2022
    Just watched their goal again

When Benrahma came on Cornet switched to the right so he should have picked up LB Sorensen, instead when Sorensen galloped into acres of space Cornet didn't go with him.

Ashby saw Sorensen's run too late - maybe because he was expecting Cornet to be tracking back like Bowen would have - and was too late to close Sorensen down

Kehrer was marking CF Grot for the goal, the ball went over both of them

CM Bonde ran in from deep and Coufal didn't even see him coming. Coufal (5' 9") wasn't outjumped by Bonde (6' 1") because Coufal didn't jump at all

Coventry should have made more of an effort to track Bonde instead of jogging back. Soucek and Fornals both raced back to defend but Coventry had only reached the edge of the penalty area when Sorensen put his cross in
  • Nobody likes a grass, BBC...

"With Billy McKinlay taking charge in his absence, manager Moyes watched from the stands and was seen handing bits of paper to another of his first-team coaches, Kevin Nolan - Uefa's regulations say there should be no communication with technical staff during the match."

Reckon Moyes will get another ban for this?
  • MrsGrey said:

IMO He looked a better option to play in any of the back four positions. Wasn't it his pass to Benrahma that lead to our third goal? He covered the ground quickly & made some good long range passes a bit like Aguerd is believed to be able to make.

• Nobody likes a grass, BBC...

"With Billy McKinlay taking charge in his absence, manager Moyes watched from the stands and was seen handing bits of paper to another of his first-team coaches, Kevin Nolan - Uefa's regulations say there should be no communication with technical staff during the match."

Reckon Moyes will get another ban for this?

He was getting Nolan to put a bet on. After Viborg scored he was on camera tearing up a piece of paper, must have been his betting slip
  • Did Nolan ever leave the side of David Moyes? I suppose if there is proof he communicated to the bench/went to the dressing room at half time. He could have just sat there next to him the whole game.
  • Kehrer seemed capable of fizzing passes about which is always a good skill to have as it opens up space for other players & you end up taking a couple of players out the game.
  • Unfortunately the Hamrun Spartans got thumped 4-1 by Partisan Belgrade. Looks like the end of the road.
  • IronHerb said:

Unfortunately the Hamrun Spartans got thumped 4-1 by Partisan Belgrade. Looks like the end of the road.

• Was nice to start a game with

Bowen - Lanzini - Cornet
    Scamacca

And end with

Cornet - Fornals - Benrahma
    Antonio

Bit of depth finally in forward areas.
  • Slacker said:

Very sorry to report this morning but the game tonight will end in defeat.
    As some of you may know I have a West Ham “match day “ mug, which has traditionally been used for years. This morning however the divine Mrs S made my early morning cuppa in an ordinary mug so therefore the match tonight is ruined.
    When I asked her why she’d made such a fundamental error she came back with: “ How was I to know that the useless lot are playing in some ( expletive deleted) competition that no ( again expletive) has ever heard of?!”
    Obviously it’s a yellow card but she just shrugged her shoulders and walked off muttering “ Bloomin' football, bloomin' West 'am”.

She’s done it again!
    I’m pretty sure it’s deliberate now.

Conservations are ongoing…..

• Maybe she's trying to get you to take over tea- making duties...
  • MrsGrey said:

Maybe she's trying to get you to take over tea- making duties...

No we’re very much an equal opportunities home.
    Just depends who’s up first on the tea making/ dog feeding front and as I got on the outside of a lovely bottle of red last night and was out cold this morning she grabbed the opportunity.
  • nice red :) maybe as we won 3-1 last time, if we win again, she maybe on to something
  • Maybe you've been the jinx all along Slacker hahaha