Chesters - Lanzini - Fornals
    Antonio

After 60 minutes

Areola
    Coufal - Zouma - Ogbonna - Masuaku
    Rice - Soucek
    Bowen - Vlasic - Okoflex
    Mubama
  • With the staff stating categorically that Moyes wants his players to get in as many 90 minutes as possible before the season starts I can’t see him changing at 60 minutes.

• Fabianksi
    Coufal Zouma Aguerd Cresswell
    Rice Downes
    Bowen Fornals Benrahma
    Antonio

Rice and Downes to stop Reading between the lines ? =)
  • Is this game available for viewing anywhere?
  • Hamstew said:

Is this game available for viewing anywhere?

I'd be very surprised if the club didn't show it on their You Tube channel. I'm sure I read somewhere that all games after the Ipswich/Boreham Wood would be live-streamed by the club.
  • edited July 2022
    It's being shown live on our app
  • No Dawson or Soucek in the squad for todays game.

• edited July 2022
    Dawson’s clearly picked up a knock, hence the Diop talks stalling.

Is this Souček not quite ready or being left out to move on? If the latter, seems to have been an dramatic escalation from last year.
  • Lukerz said:

Dawson’s clearly picked up a knock, hence the Diop talks stalling.

Is this Souček not quite ready or being left out to move on? If the latter, seems to have been an dramatic escalation from last year.

Soucek could be something tondo with the new guy we're trying to buy. Are they similar players?
  • Yeah I can’t believe we are going to sign Onana for over £30m & stick with Souček. It says to me Moyes feels his form has fallen off a cliff over the last year & he wants to upgrade him.
  • OS says Souček misses out with a minor injury.
  • Very low cliff imo.
  • edited July 2022
    Lukerz said:

Yeah I can’t believe we are going to sign Onana for over £30m & stick with Souček. It says to me Moyes feels his form has fallen off a cliff over the last year & he wants to upgrade him.

I don't get this at all; I don't see Downes as coming straight in to provide adequate cover and rotation for Rice or Soucek, which is something most of us have been crying out for. If we bring in Onana and sell Soucek, we're in the same situation as last season.

Hopefully we'll have Rice, Soucek and Onana (or Sangare, who personally seems a more rounded player but Onana seems to be our first choice) as 3 players rotating for 2 positions, with Downes getting some game time and being eased into the team as the season progresses and hopefully stepping up to Premier League level. Unless we have an outstanding season, I can't see Rice being here the season after next, but hopefully if he does go next summer then we'll already have 3 prem-ready CMs at the club with room for another Downes type signing.
  • I’m not saying we should, but if Moyes wants to spend up to £40m on a CM, given Rice is a shoe in, it tells me he’s not convinced by his midfield partner. He may want to keep Soucek too, but you don’t spend £35m on a CM if you feel you have the best duo in the league.
  • Last season Moyes had four central midfielders and we currently have three so a fourth simply fills the vacancy.

Onana is 20yo, (21 in August), I see him and Downes as investment for the future rather than stepping into the starting XI straight away.

Rather than replacing Soucek maybe Moyes doesn't want to have to fall back on playing Lanzini or Fornals like he had to a few times last season
  • But Rice goes next summer so get the replacement in now. Makes sense.
  • Lukerz said:

I’m not saying we should, but if Moyes wants to spend up to £40m on a CM, given Rice is a shoe in, it tells me he’s not convinced by his midfield partner. He may want to keep Soucek too, but you don’t spend £35m on a CM if you feel you have the best duo in the league.

But even if you have the best duo in the league, we can't go through another season where the drop off in quality whenever one of them is out means they play every game even when they're dead on their feet. We can all see this, so I'm sure Moyes can as well. Downes is one mostly for the future (Moyes has said as much) so I definitely think we're looking to bring Onana in to rotate with Rice and Soucek. It may be that he starts alongside Rice in our strongest 11 (I can't comment as I've never seen him play and I rate Soucek highly, I can't believe the stick he gets for not being at his best despite flogging himself to death for the shirt), but we need 3 quality, prem-ready CMs if we're hoping to build on the results of the last 2 seasons.
  • Onana is more the future than Downes. He’s 3 years younger.
  • Lukerz said:

Onana is more the future than Downes. He’s 3 years younger.

Indeed, but I can't see us paying that sort of money if he's not thought to be ready to play a significant role this season.
  • I can see a midfield three of Soucek, Onana and Rice. Clearly, Moyes and Rice think he’s not just a DM, and want him to go forward. Equally clear is that Soucek is not a DM and should be getting into the box. You can let them both do that if Onana sits. Which might also explain the seeming lack of interest in another AM/WG.
  • ALSO

Onana hasn’t had a huge amount of game time in his career. Moyes dropped £30m on Vlasic and didn’t play him. £30 on Benrahma and eased him in. £20m on Bowen and eased him in. I don’t think Onana is a guaranteed started tbh
  • edited July 2022
    IronHerb said:

But Rice goes next summer so get the replacement in now. Makes sense.

Does he?
    Lukerz said:

Onana is more the future than Downes. He’s 3 years younger.

2 years, 7 months

Downes' birthday in January, Onana's birthday in August
    alderz said:

I can see a midfield three of Soucek, Onana and Rice.

I can't see Moyes playing anything other than 4-2-3-1 unless we're up against one of the big boys (3-4-3) or we're playing a lower division side (4-4-2)

He's a bit predictable when it comes to formations
  • Does he?

I think so unless we have a 'special' season. And if we do we have strength in depth in that area.
  • ASLEF

I think we could see Soucek in front of the other two. Similar to how he converted Fellaini from a DM/CB to a AM/ST
  • alderz said:

I can see a midfield three of Soucek, Onana and Rice.

We might play that occasionally, but if that's to be our intended formation, then we've still got no cover or rotation except for Downes (who Moyes has said is more for the future) to cover the three of them.

• Light looking midfield
  • Vlasic starts in his preferred No10 role by the looks of it.

Really hope he turns up this season.
  • is the clubs you tube working as have a turkish commentary
  • Drinks break in the first half.

Game's being played at a very pedestrian pace. Front four haven't offered much at all. Aguerd has looked very accomplished so far though.