Pre season matches June and July 2022

This discussion was created from comments split from: The Transfer Window.

Comments

• When does Pre-season start and have we announced any fixtures ?

2022/23 Pre-season fixtures

Ipswich Town v West Ham United, Portman Road, Tuesday 12 July, 7pm
    Boreham Wood v West Ham United, Meadow Park, Tuesday 12 July, 7pm
    Reading v West Ham United, Select Car Leasing Stadium, Saturday 16 July, 3pm
    Luton Town v West Ham United, Kenilworth Road, Saturday 23 July, 3pm
  • Personally I can’t wait for the #PRudz derby 😎

Ipswich Town v West Ham United, Portman Road, Tuesday 12 July, 7pm
    Boreham Wood v West Ham United, Meadow Park, Tuesday 12 July, 7pm
    Luton Town v West Ham United, Kenilworth Road, Saturday 23 July, 3pm
    First game is a week tomorrow against Servette, I think. And we finish with a game against Lens on 30th July.
  • 2 on 12 July? A team and B team.
  • Pretty sure we did the same thing last summer; a mixture of first team and U23s in each game.

Benches may be a bit light in both matches as it stands.
  • I have seen reports Ashby is being promoted as a first team right back. Pleased for him. However, i can see Johnson being utility across the back 4.

We really need to outlaw selling naming rights for stadiums.
  • When your stadium name is a directive...

We really need to outlaw selling naming rights for stadiums.
    My friend is a season ticket holder at Southend United, and he’s in the “I Love Fancy Dress.com Upper”
  • The internationals are back at full training.

For those that are interested, it looks like Johnson has taken the vacant No2 shirt and Bowen looks to be retaining No20 (there was talk he might take on Yarmo's 7).

• The Freddie Sears Derby tonight 🎉
  • Is this being shown anywhere?
  • Hamstew said:

Is this being shown anywhere?

whufc.com says neither match will be shown live anywhere
  • Thanks Aslef
  • edited July 2022
    We've managed to rustle up 32 players for tonight's games. As expected, none of the internationals will feature, so it's a mixture of first team, U23s and U18s.

• Fab
    Ashby Zouma Alese Cresswell
    Downes Coventry
    Fornals Chesters Oxo-Flex
    Antonio

Randolph
    Baptiste Diop Ogbonna
    Greenidge Forson Ekwah Masuaku
    Lanzini Mubama Benrahma

From my knowledge of the youth team that's probably the best XI from both of those lists
  • No Longelo or Dawson, which given how light our squad already is means they're almost certainly injured/unwell.
  • No Longelo or Dawson, which given how light our squad already is means they're almost certainly injured/unwell.

Maybe stuck at heathrow?
  • We're playing five subs in each game. Twelve players will have to complete the 90 minutes. Feels a bit risky this early in pre-season.
  • Fab
    Ashby Zouma Alese Cresswell
    Downes Coventry
    Fornals Chesters Oxo-Flex
    Antonio

Randolph
    Baptiste Diop Ogbonna
    Greenidge Forson Ekwah Masuaku
    Lanzini Mubama Benrahma

From my knowledge of the youth team that's probably the best XI from both of those lists

Not a bad guess if I do say so myself

First XI above is the team

Then 2nd team Laing starts RB instead of Greenidge and Nevers plus for Oggy in a 4-2-3-1
  • We're playing five subs in each game. Twelve players will have to complete the 90 minutes. Feels a bit risky this early in pre-season.

Don't understand the reasons behind this at all.
  • It's pre season for goodness sake.
  • Most of those on the pitch have been training for about 3 weeks and the season starts in another 3. These games are not that high intensity and they need to get 90 minutes under their belts.
    We’ve had too many seasons in the past where we’ve eased players in right up until kick-off and then when the real games start they’re spent after 60 minutes.
  • edited July 2022
    IronHerb said:

It's pre season for goodness sake.

Exactly. Pre-season. Where players aren't 100% fit. It's only the second game in.

12 players will have to play the full 90 minutes. Not ideal when the risk of injury is arguably higher.

Personally, one game would have been sufficient tonight, and give the seniors less minutes between them. The U23s and U18s could have had a game later in the week.

Just my opinion, of course.
  • I imagine it’s being looked at as a gentle run with a bit of football thrown in. They won’t be playing at any intensity & it will be about getting through the match & minutes in the legs. They’ve been training for two weeks.
  • The comments by Warburton and McKinley on the OS answer the 90 minutes question once and for all.
  • Reading up next on Saturday. Presumably the internationals will be eased back in for this one. Something like:

First Half XI

Fabianksi
    Coufal Zouma Aguerd Cresswell
    Rice Downes
    Bowen Fornals Benrahma
    Antonio

Second Half XI

Areola
    Ashby Diop Ogbonna Johnson
    Soucek Coventry
    Chesters Lanzini Vlasic
    Mubama

Shows where the weaknesses currently are on the squad, but I can't see any incomings for this game, nor the games against Rangers or Luton.
  • The Andy Carroll Derby you say.. 🧐