Frankfurt 2: Electric Boogaloo

I feel pretty encouraged by our performance against Arsenal and I reckon we can do it.

The team picks itself -
Areola; Coufal Dawson Zouma Cresswell; Soucek Rice; Bowen Lanzini Fornals; Antonio

Comments

• We absolutely can do it, but it needs a 9/10 performance from everyone.

Coufal looked better today, but elsewhere on the pitch, form is going the wrong way. Cresswell, Lanzini, Soucek, Fornals and Antonio really need to step up because they've been struggling lately.

I have no doubts that Dawson, Zouma, Rice and Bowen will perform, but we'll need more. I'd actually go with Benrahma over Fornals for this one, but again, he needs a big performance.
  • edited May 2022
    Don't think Fornals has been that good for a while but he pulled out a great performance against Lyon. Think he can do it again for this game. Lanzini's the one I'm worried about. But if Benrahma comes in for him then I want it as a direct replacement centrally, not stuck on the left where he's always looking to do the same thing.

Otherwise, I think we've got players who can pull out a performance for this game.
  • I think first goal may decide it, if they get it they will have a cushion I think they will be smart enough to protect, if we get it their confidence will go and we can go on to win it. It's a classic example of how such a high octane atmosphere can encourage or place more pressure upon you.

The teams are very well matched but ours didn't deliver last week, each and every player must deliver the game of their lives this Thursday.

In Rice we have a winner and he will once again be by far the best player on the pitch, if he gets into his stride I think he can lead us to the final.
  • Never easy to win away let alone by 2 gaoals ,But it is us and we are massive ,Do feel with Dawson and Zouma back we can keep a clean sheet and win 2-0 up the Hammers
  • edited May 2022
    I’d bring Benrahma in for Lanzini given we’re behind.

Areola
    Coufa - Dawson - Zouma - Cresswell
    Soucek - Rice
    Bowen - Fornals - Benrahma
    Antonio

Fabianski, Randolph, Alese, Diop, Fredericks, Johnson, Masuaku, Noble, Kral, Lanzini, Vlasic, Yarmolenko
  • I get that Lanzini and Fornals have been out of form recently, but Benrahma has been awful, and at least the other two have a bank of good will where we’ve seen them make a big difference for us in the past. I really like Benrahma, but he’s just not been good enough, and I have massively lost faith that he will come good
  • edited May 2022
    I get that Benrahma has struggled, but I still trust him more than Fornals and Lanzini to create something.

We all know how hard Fornals works, but his contribution in the final third has been severely lacking of late.

Lanzini has had a good season, generally playing deeper, but I can't remember the last assist he provided, or chance created.

Benrahma has more goal contributions (G/A) than the other two, and despite how frustrating he can be, I think he's better for our scoring chances.
  • Deffo want Benrahma to start over Fornals in the wing position

Fornals has been awful and he plays to safe, literally creates nothing and is always looking behind to play it backwards

Benrahma is the other way, he always tries something but he often loses it because of that

But maybe I'm old fashioned, but I like wingers who create....if he does 10 dribbles and only 1 of them work which leads to a goal I'd prefer that to Fornals who is only playing right now because of his work rate

Fornals or Lanzini in the middle? Unsure, but I'd still opt for Lanzini, think he controls the tempo better

As OCS says, we can win this but need a collective effort here from everyone....can't just rely on Rice, Bowen and Zouma....a LOT of these have to step up....this is our cup final and we have the squad to win it
  • My worry here is that, with all the juggling of the squad & changing players since we made the semis, we have lost all form/momentum & there are now players lacking a bit of sharpness. Our rhythm has gone. 4 defeats in our last 5 & 1 draw. That is not where we want to be going into such a huge game. If we win, Moyes will deserve a statue & he would have called it spot on. If we lose, our season will be ending on a bit of a flat note.
  • It's impossible to know what the right call is. Resting players against Chelsea and conceding the three points didn't help us against Frankfurt.

Equally, resting Soucek and Antonio for yesterday's game cost us at least a point I reckon, and if we go out on Thursday anyway then arguably it was the wrong decision.

And ultimately this is the problem with our squad. There's too big a drop off in quality when the 'first eleven' aren't available. Players being played out of position or players that just aren't good enough.
  • Lukerz said:

My worry here is that, with all the juggling of the squad & changing players since we made the semis, we have lost all form/momentum & there are now players lacking a bit of sharpness. Our rhythm has gone. 4 defeats in our last 5 & 1 draw. That is not where we want to be going into such a huge game. If we win, Moyes will deserve a statue & he would have called it spot on. If we lose, our season will be ending on a bit of a flat note.

Got to manage your squad, we had lost plenty even when we were rolling out the same XI every week

We haven't really rotated except for the Chelsea/Arsenal games, and before that we had 2W, 1D and 3L across our 6 games, including the last two were poor results agaisnt Brentford and Burnley

Think he had to rest based off those two games where we went full strength
  • Yes but this was against his original mantra. I’ll try and find the quote but he basically said ‘we’ll go full strength every week, game by game, and if the squad breaks, it breaks’. That view seemed to work.
  • £30m on Vlasic and he has the same G/A as Diop.

Ouch.
  • Lowest pass accuracy - Antonio.

It's no surprise really. Technically, he's not a very good footballer. What sets him apart is his pace and power. If he had the technical ability of, say, Lanzini, I doubt he'd be at West Ham.
  • The problem atm is we aren’t seeing him play in that many matches utilising his pace & power.
  • I don’t really agree. Look at the cross for Soucek against Sevilla. The guy does have good technical ability. I think his accuracy is affected by the fact he’s often very isolated and doesn’t have many options to pass to. I’m not suggesting he’s as technical as Lanzini or Benrahma - if he was he’d basically be the best player in the world - but he’s got ability.
  • Whatever any of us think, he needs to turn it on on Thursday. Defensively Frankfurt aren't great; we need the front 3/4 to be at them all the time.
  • Apart from set pieces at the moment we seem unable to cross the ball enough to give him chances , it seems our full backs are forever passing back and forth and same for Benrahma, so often I’m shouting out “ cross the ball “ COYI ⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️⚒️

The problem with the pass accuracy stat is that it doesn't differentiate between attacking passes (e.g. cross into the goal area) and defensive passes (e.g. pass back to Fab/Areola).

The problem with the pass accuracy stat is that it doesn't differentiate between attacking passes (e.g. cross into the goal area) and defensive passes (e.g. pass back to Fab/Areola).
    Was thinking exactly this. Antonio's passes will surely be much more difficult and more likely to be cut out than those of the defensive players.
  • Things to be positive about:

Frankfurt 1 home win in last 11, 5 all season (of course they only need a draw to go through, though).
    Frankfurt play tonight.
    Frankfurt can’t play much better than they did last Thursday, whereas we can.
    Lyon result.
    Second-leg performances in last two rounds.
    The spirit of the squad.
    We won’t be as unprepared having already played them.
  • Their lineup is very rotated

• Frankfurt lost 2-0 away to Bayer Leverkuesen today
  • edited May 2022
    seems like 6th place maybe gone too, Man Utd already ahead in points and have the games left to do it where as we have City to play still and Brighton where we never win. We are playing for 7th with Wolves.
  • edited May 2022
    Yeah, they've got Brighton and Palace, so would expect at least four points from those two. We have City, Norwich and Brighton, so a maximum of four for us, IMO.
  • Yeold, I agree & looking at Wolves who still have to play Chelsea, Manchester City, Norwich & Liverpool. I best not say anything more for fear of jinxing our chances but .......... =)
  • You never know. Man U have been so up and down ( like us) so the final day could be a bit tasty.
  • edited May 2022
    8 changes last night for Frankfurt seems they are all in on Thursday aswell