Sevilla (h) 8pm Thursday 17th March (BT Sport 2)

edited March 2022 in Match Threads
It's all about injuries

For us the obvious question is whether Bowen, Antonio or Cresswell will be fit

However it looks as if Sevilla have picked up another injury, Argentinian international LB Marcos Acuna (41 caps) only lasted 13 minutes in their 1-1 away draw at Rayo Vallecano before he was subbed off with a thigh problem.

Rakitic was back in the starting XI and played the full 90 mins so obviously the injury that he suffered in the warm up last Thursday wasn't that bad.

COYI

Comments

• It's all about injuries

For us the obvious question is whether Bowen, Antonio or Cresswell will be fit

I'd be surprised if any of those made it. Cresswell was feeling his groin in the first leg and I can only assume that's what went yesterday, so I can't see him being ready for Thursday. Bowen and Antonio may both declare themselves fit, but I can't see either being 100% so bench at best, IMO.

Vlasic missed Villa, presumably through injury, so that's potentially another forward missing, although it may have been precautionary with one eye on this game. Starting Yarmolenko would be a risk but I don't think Moyes has a choice now.

Not sure which way he'll will go re the 'keeper position; Areola is the cup 'keeper, so I would imagine he'll start, but I wouldn't be surprised if he chose Fab instead after yesterday's performance. I think we'll see:

Areola
    Fredericks Dawson Zouma Johnson
    Lanzini Rice Soucek
    Vlasic Yarmolenko Benrahma

Or he plays Noble or Kral (ha) as the third CM and pushes Lanzini further forward.

Or he loses his mind completely and plays Okoflex from the start as some kind of wildcard punt that Sevilla aren't prepared for and he bangs in a hattrick of assists*

*it'll be the Lanzini thing
  • I think Moyes will start with a back 5 (wingbacks) and if we go 1 down he changes it straight away.

Areola

Dawson Zouma Diop

Johnson Rice Soucek Fornals

Lanzini Yarmolenko Benrahma
  • First goal is crucial. If they get it, it's game over, IMO.

If we get it, it opens the game up and we will have more of a chance on the break to score again.
  • Yarmolenko did a great job yesterday but he said in his post-match interview that he's probably not fit to play all the time yet, as he's not trained much, so I don't know if he'll start this. Though if Antonio, Bowen and Vlasic are all out then maybe he will have to.

I think we'll have to play pretty much the formation we had after the Cresswell injury. I don't think Lanzini suits RW, though maybe Benrahma can. I think we'd be better off doing a 5-3-2 with Lanzini in midfield and Benrahma playing off the striker. Though that might not work well if neither of the front two are natural strikers.
  • I think the need to not concede will be on Moyes' mind, and he'll want to keep it tight until the last half hour and then get Yarmolenko on the pitch. He's clearly not fit enough to play a full game, but the last half hour could work for him.

For me, Noble has to play. Our best attacking impetus will probably come from taking the shackles off Rice a bit, and having Noble sitting behind him and Soucek will allow him to drive us up the pitch.

I'd like to see; Fabianski; Fredericks Dawson Zouma Johnson; Noble; Fornals Soucek Rice Lanzini; Benrahma (4-1-4-1)

But I think we're more likely to see; Areola; Diop Dawson Zouma; Fredericks Soucek Rice Johnson; Fornals Lanzini Benrahma (3-4-3)
  • edited March 2022
    Fab needs to play for me, we need every advantage we get & he is a game saver on his day.

Fabianski
    Dawson - Zouma - Diop
    Johnson - Soucek - Rice - Lanzini - Fornals
    Benrahma
    Yarmolenko

I imagine will be the side, with Antonio in for Yarmolenko & Cresswell in for Diop if they are fit.
  • Football.London reports Antonio, Cresswell & Vlasic all expected to be available for Thursday.
  • Can't wait for this game
  • • Bowen likely to miss Sevilla & Spurs. Everton more realistic.
    • Antonio will be checked again today and a chance he could make Thursday.
    • Cresswell injury wasn’t bad as first thought and chance he will be ready for Thursday.
    • Vlasic set to be okay
    #ExWHUemployee
  • So I guess there is no chance Bowen gets called up for England. Feel for him really as he never gets injured but at a time in his career where he gets a chance to play European football on a big stage and possibly break into the England team he gets injured.
  • Areola doing the press conference with the gaffer. I guess that answers the question about which keeper will play.
  • It was surpose to be Soucek with moyes at the presser ,Should i read anything into that
  • I don't see where the goals will come without Bowen. I hope Moyes will be inventive and if we are needing to score with twenty to go that he will just throw Rice into attack. He may not be an attacker but he is easily the best player on the pitch and he can finish.
  • edited March 2022

I don't see where the goals will come without Bowen

We scored two against Villa without Bowen

Maybe you should go to Specsavers

LW Lucas Ocampos suspended for yellow cards

If Rice or Lanzini get a yellow they will be suspended for the quartet final
  • Really looking forward to this game, 60,000 under the lights against a top European side. But they must win. Booked into Haugen before the game and Holiday Inn for the night to have a couple of beers after the match and not have to think about the long drive home. We have one spare ticket if anyone wants it.
  • Whitehorsehammer I’ve sent you a pm re the ticket. Cheers.
  • CleverTrevor. I have sent you a DM about the ticket.
  • I don't see where the goals will come without Bowen

We scored two against Villa without Bowen

Maybe you should go to Specsavers

LW Lucas Ocampos suspended for yellow cards

If Rice or Lanzini get a yellow they will be suspended for the quartet final
    Oh you are clearly right Aslef, we scored two against Villa so what was I thinking, worry over. On reflection I am not even sure we need a striker in the summer window, we scored two against Villa at the weekend.
  • If Antonio plays, it raises the question of what to do with Yarmolenko. I thought Y linked play better than A against Villa. Maybe one half each?
  • I think he scored but it really was a rare contribution and he has been very ineffective in the cameos he has played for us recently. The goals have been coming from Bowen and Dawson (from set pieces), so if Antonio is fit to play he really needs to find his early season form again and quick. We do have lots of players who can cause trouble but recently It's been Bowen who has allowed us to threaten.

I am hopeful still as I think the occasion will be massive and the team will rise to it. If we can get the goal back by half time I think we will go on to win it, I fear if we don't they will lock us out in the second half. I think Rice will be everywhere and lead us forward.
  • I think it depends in part how we play. Most of our success in the last couple of seasons has been when we've been able to counter effectively; this is where Antonio is so much more effective than Yarmo (the Chelsea goal aside). However, in those matches where we've had more possession we often find it difficult to break teams down, and Yarmo's different skillset may actually be more useful than Antonio's as there's less likelihood of being able to run in behind.
  • A lot being made of the atmosphere tonight lifting the side. It reminded me of the night at the old ground when we had to beat Man U in the last game of the season to stay up.
    The old place was heaving with atmosphere before the kick off only for Man U to score straight from the kick off.The crowd went quiet for a what seemed a few seconds then a roar built and built and seemed to last the whole game as we went on to win 4-2 and stay up. One of my great memories from U P.
    Let’s hope something close can happen tonight.
  • edited March 2022
    On the train down from Edinburgh. Just pulled a muscle running down Princes Street to get the train so tell Moyes I am sadly unavailable for this one. First time seeing us in the flesh for 5 years. A bit nervous given the quality of their midfield and defence but we should have enough quality to score at least once. Benrahma and Fornals can become legends tonight.
    I like the idea of Noble sitting behind Rice and Soucek allowing them to push higher up, but I doubt Moyes will only do this until the last 20 mins.
    We have to be patient but utterly ruthless with the few chances we will get. Come On You Hammers.
    (3-1, after extra time).
  • Good stuff, enjoy the game. Make plenty of noise!
  • edited March 2022
    Slacker said:

A lot being made of the atmosphere tonight lifting the side. It reminded me of the night at the old ground when we had to beat Man U in the last game of the season to stay up.

Respect the memory!!!

16 May 1977, Man U went 1-0 up after 30 seconds but Lampard equalised. After half time Geoff Pike and Pop Robson scored, Stuart Pearson got it back to 3-2 but Pop Robson scored again

I struggle to remember what I had for breakfast...
  • edited March 2022
    Puddleglum..... run it off son!
  • I’m so excited but also feel sick.
  • Agree Jorderz. Nervous and excited! I will enjoy tonight regardless of the result. Just want the build up to start!
  • Cheers Yoyo. Just bought some Deep Heat spray at Westfield and it feels better. Maybe I can make the bench after all.