The UK is Out - New PM - and whither now for Article 50

Comments

• Herb, a bit pedantic if I may say ;hmm
  • Would you not rather the racists are exposed for what they are then NE?
  • TW85 what are you on about? My remark that Herb was being pedantic referred to his saying that racism wasn't up but only the display of it. How do you go from that to your remark? ;hmm
  • http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/mrs-browns-boys-brexit_uk_57a0978fe4b0459aae5e735d

I`d say the Brexit vote was pretty justified, can`t think of a much better reason myself....................
  • edited August 2016
    Sorry I took Herbs comment to mean that those who were racist before the referendum are still racist now, just more vocal about it so we know who they are.

I don't think that since the result there are now more people who are racisit so my comment to you was then referring to the fact that I would rather know if my neighbour is/was a closest racist or not.

If you have any stats to prove officially that racism has increased then by all means post them.
  • edited August 2016
    TW85

I also took Herb's comment to mean that those who were racist before the referendum are still racist now, just more vocal about it so we know who they are.

Of course I should have said in my original post

"Summary - Economy down, display of racism up"

Just not quite as snappy.

And if you have any stats to prove officially that racism has NOT increased then by all means post them.

• edited August 2016
    Tom, it sounds as though by saying ' I would rather know if my neighbour is/was a closest racist or not' you are saying it is a good thing that racists who previously kept it to themselves are now acting on their beliefs ... because that way we know who they are.

Personally, I disagree with this for several reasons.

1. I think racists SHOULD keep their horrible ideas to themselves.

2. Under the scenario you refer to, the price of your 'knowledge' is that racist beliefs have been acted on - which means that somewhere, there is someone who has been subjected to a racist comment or action. I don't think that price is worth paying, frankly.

(For the record, my opinion is that the vote hasn't created new racists, just encouraged existing ones.)
  • Racism may or may not have increased. It may just be that the reporting of it has increased. Or that the reporting of the reporting has increased. ;hmm
  • And I`m with Tom. I would rather know if my neighbour was a racist/paedophile/train spotter etc etc. Would save me having to make small talk.
  • The reporting of it (to police) definitely increased post-vote.

Stats prove it. ;ok

What is quite alarming is that the Met Police alone usually averages between 20 and 50 reports of hate crime a day. (It went up after the vote - I don't know if numbers have dropped back to their 'normal' levels as time has gone by.)

The main factor in hate crimes is, according to official sources, race.

And the police actually estimate that that 75% of race crimes are never reported (usually).
  • MadCap - I would rather know, yes, all things being equal. But not if that knowledge had to be gained by them committing a hate crime. ;ok
  • NE - I am not following you, merely offering a different perspective on things. You are free to continue to express your dismay at the referendum result, just as I am free to offer another view point on it. If my response to a few of your comments is exasperating to you then consider how exasperating it is to continually read your negative posts as well as most of the media out there.

I am not able to prove that racism is down just as you are not able to prove it is up. I am just calling out sound bites as I thought that we had all had enough of them following the awful campaigning that was done. Maybe that is just me though...

Mrs Grey, I fully understand your point and when put like that I would rather not have someone suffer for the result of knowing that someone is a racist. My point was more of in a general scenario and not broken down to the individual who will suffer as a result.

However on other hand, if you offered someone who is unfortunate enough to suffer racist remarks/abuse if they would rather take a couple incidents and for the general public to rally round them and really show these bigots that it is not acceptable or tolerated or not suffer any direct incidents but always feel that there is an under current of ill feeling out there I would be interested to know what they would rather. If more people see racism and take a stand against it we may be able to make the world a better place. (I am not say that either are right or correct, but unfortunately the world we live in is not perfect)

Madcap - what do you have against train spotters?
  • . If more people see racism and take a stand against it we may be able to make the world a better place.
    I absolutely agree.

Although (and referring back to the question you raise about whether victims would rather be victimised than not if a positive change could come out of it) since official estimates are that the huge majority of incidents aren't reported to the police, I'm not sure how much opprobrium actually results.

A interesting question might be - why don't people report it. (I suspect the answers are many and varied. But probably all equally depressing.)
  • NEoldiron said:

Herb, a bit pedantic if I may say ;hmm

Absolutely not. Racism is not proven to be up, as you state, but acts/reporting of racism are. That's not me being pedantic in my book.
  • I agree and I nearly added an edit after I saw your earlier post about it not being reported. 75% is a shocking stat if true and we as individuals, a community, a nation, a civilization can and must do better.

I have seen the odd video on facebook where people rally round and stand up for the victim but all too often nothing is said or done when it happens.
  • The 75% is a police estimate, and for ALL hate crimes, not just racist ones).

But even with those caveats, it's not a cheering thought.
  • It shouldn't really matter if it is racist or otherwise, all hate crimes should be stopped.
  • I agree.

I was just clarifying the figure, in the context of our discussion about racism ;ok
  • Herb
    - "Racism is not proven to be up, but acts/reporting of racism are."
    How do you measure racism if not by the number of acts that are reported. Has there been a poll where people put their hands up and say "Yup, I'm a racist".?
    The only way by which it can be measured surely IS by the acts, therefore, if the number of acts and their reporting has increased, is it not reasonable to say that racism has increased.

TW85
    - "how exasperating it is to continually read your negative posts".
    I would love to hear some good news about the situation so that I could have reason to be positive. Perhaps you could put up some links.
    It is just as exasperating for me to continually read Brexiteer's criticism of Remainers being negative when there has not been, so far, anything to feel positive about.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.

• So these people who carried out these acts weren't racists before the act?

I don't think so.
  • Herb, that's a good point,
    Perhaps they were latent racists who weren't aware of the fact, but have been emboldened by Brexit.
    My original point that racism is up would have been more accurate if, as I've already posted, I had said that incidents of racist behaviour are up.

So, correcting my original post:
    Summary - Economy down, incidents of racist behaviour up.

I still think "Economy down, racism up" scans better.
  • If I had a drinks cabinetimage

A snip at

EQUATOR GLOBE BAR

£5,960.00
    ADD TO BASKET
    MADE TO ORDER.
    ESTIMATED DELIVERY DATE: THU 29TH SEPTEMBER 2016.

;hmm
    Deposits welcome
    ;biggrin
  • NEoldiron said:

Herb, that's a good point,
    Perhaps they were latent racists who weren't aware of the fact, but have been emboldened by Brexit.
    My original point that racism is up would have been more accurate if, as I've already posted, I had said that incidents of racist behaviour are up.

So, correcting my original post:
    Summary - Economy down, incidents of racist behaviour up.

I still think "Economy down, racism up" scans better.

Leavers £350m a week to be spent on NHS scanned well as well!
  • Racism existed before but more subtle, more institutional and easier to deny. People didn't want to hear about it and people always had some other excuse to claim it wasn't racism. More offensive to point out racism than be the victim of because we'd decided putting our heads in the ground and claiming "we don't see race" meant it would go away.

Generally, it's only with blatant abuse that people accept that it's racism. That was much rarer until Brexit, when unsurprisingly a lot of people felt emboldened; maybe they (wrongly) believed everyone who voted out agreed with them, maybe they were inspired by a press that liked to describe refugees as cockroaches.

So of course the country is not any more racist, it's just that certain people feel freer about showing it. Increased reporting is not enough to explain it because there have long been attempts to increase reporting of racism. I know a lot of people who have faced abuse since the referendum.

Yes, there was racism before. It was frustrating, isolating, infuriating. But what has happened since Brexit is scarier. Plenty of people are questioning their future in Britain. If this can still happen to us in the place when we were born, 30/40 years after our parents faced it (worse) then when do we actually get to live on an equal footing? We can set up businesses, go through university, get to the top of any profession, represent the country abroad and still not be fully accepted as British. That's what people are thinking in this situation.
  • Is that a typo?

The n and the m are, after all, next to each other on the keyboard.

;wink
  • edited August 2016
    MrsGrey, que? ;hmm
  • Herb
    " 'Leavers £350m a week to be spent on NHS' scanned well as well"

The difference there being that that is a blatant lie ;lol
  • scanned/scammed ;ok
  • There's no place for racism in this world anymore it's gross and needs weeding out
  • MrsGrey, ;lol,
    I never saw that at all, very droll ;lol
This discussion has been closed.