Slaven Bilic named as West Ham Manager (09.06.15)

Comments

• How can any manager worth his salt accept being a stop gap for 6 months?
  • Lukerz said:

steve

That would be the Rafa who agreed to join us and then dropped us for Real, would it?

Of course, I know, anyone would, but

a) we already agreed a deal with him he decided not to honour

b) see a)

And for goodness' sake, please would those insisting the owners are too mean to pay compensation provide some evidence to support this, or stop making baseless accusations?

It’s not difficult to find evidence.

Avram Grant - unemployed
    Sam Allardyce - unemployed
    Slaven Bilic - unemployed
    David Moyes (?) - unemployed
    How on earth is that evidence that they won't pay compensation?

It is simply evidence that they haven't.

• Didn’t Sam leave at the end of his contract? In which case there would be no compensation to pay.
  • Moyes isn't coming. Relax!
  • suz, I was puzzled too until I realised Luke is saying they were not working when we hired them, so didn't need to buy them out of an existing contract.

Which doesn't of course, address the fact that if you need someone quickly after you have sacked a manager, for example when you don't have a reasonable caretaker manager who can hold the fort for a few months, a replacement who is available quickly is preferable. The alternative - opening negotiations with someone at a good club, doing well, and persuading them to walk out mid-season to come to a club pretty much in crisis - is problematic.

(Yes, I know it might be easier t entice a working manager if you approached one at a small or struggling club, that's not doing well - they might jump at the chance to bail out .... and, erm, they'd be the sort of manager we would want to dig us out of a hole, yeah? ;puzzled )

But anyway, those points are moot because the owners won't pay compensation.

Unlike all the other owners who, when they have sacked a manager mid-term, and results are desperately needed to avoid relegation, manage to get a sexy new manager from another club. ;hmm

• Good luck today Slaven. I respect your honesty and integrity.
  • edited November 2017
    Well said, Hammerwombat. I really love the guy. I just hope his successor can not only get us playing good football but also represent the club in a way that inspires the pride in (so many of) us fans that Slaven does.
  • Hamstew said:

The rumours on Twitter is it's Hiddink

I hope so but think it will be Moyes

• I think the issue with Slav is that he lost his self-belief.

In that first season, he had a swagger about him and the team very much reflected that. He had a confident, refreshing, resilient manner and the team was very much in his image.

Since that horrendous start to last season and the Dimi situation, he seems to look like a man waiting for the chop every week. I’m not sure the players have stopped playing for him or don’t want him to turn it around, but maybe they look at him and think “are you up for this fight”, and their performances kind of reflect the managers demeanour.

If today is to be his last day, thanks for everything Slav and you have conducted yourself with intergerity and class since day one. I just think the job has got to steep for you.
  • ;ok MrsG, thanks for that, I was very confused.
  • I can't actually believe we're going to be appointing Moyes, laughing stock
  • Lukerz said:

steve

That would be the Rafa who agreed to join us and then dropped us for Real, would it?

Of course, I know, anyone would, but

a) we already agreed a deal with him he decided not to honour

b) see a)

And for goodness' sake, please would those insisting the owners are too mean to pay compensation provide some evidence to support this, or stop making baseless accusations?

It’s not difficult to find evidence.

Avram Grant - unemployed
    Sam Allardyce - unemployed
    Slaven Bilic - unemployed
    David Moyes (?) - unemployed
    How on earth is that evidence that they won't pay compensation?

It is simply evidence that they haven't.

Grey - as I can’t see into the future, I can only go off their recent record.

Their three appointments since being here have required 0 compensation. Their next one looks likely to require 0 compensation.

Until the day they do pay another club for their manager, I will stand by the view that they won’t do so, based on their records to date.
  • I can't believe the board would be that stupid as to appoint Moyes.
  • He’s got links with our recruitment guy, hasn’t he?
  • MrsGrey said:

Unlike all the other owners who, when they have sacked a manager mid-term, and results are desperately needed to avoid relegation, manage to get a sexy new manager from another club. ;hmm

Mid term managerial changes in the Premier League 2017

Jan - Hull sack Phelan, they hire Silva who was unattached
    Feb - Leicester sack Ranieri, they promote his assistant Shakespeare
    Mar - Boro sack Karanka, they promote his assistant Agnew
    September - Palace sack De Boer, they hire Hodgson who was unattached
    October - Leicester sack Shakespeare, they hire Puel who was unattached
  • edited November 2017
    And presumably they had to pay Zola compensation after sacking him.

Luke, you can of course believe what you like, but that doesn't make it evidence.

I would say that the vast majority of PL appointments have not involved paying compensation, so it is hardly a common occurrence.

Until there are reliable stories about us seeking to appoint a manager currently engaged, but being put off by the cost of compensation, I'll carry on saying the claim is nonsense, in the same boat as 'When did you stop beating your wife?'
  • edited November 2017
    We’re 6 points off 8th. The season can still be a success. Let’s be honest, outside the top six, 7th is anybody’s who wants it. It’s only November and the busy Xmas/New Year period could see us transform our season. At the moment Burnley are 7th, Brighton are 9th and Watford are 10th. All have shown vastly better form than us but all are catchable if we get our act together.

We do need a change, because I have no confidence we will have a good end of year unlike last year when we scraped a few 1-0 wins against bottom 3 sides. We need someone with a new energy and who will get some basic organisation in our side. Because once we get those two things we will win games, because we have decent players, especially up the top end of the pitch. We just need someone to get the best out of them.
  • Aslef, exactly ;ok

(Thanks for doing the research for me.)
  • MrsGrey said:

Mid term managerial changes in the Premier League 2017

Jan - Hull sack Phelan, they hire Silva who was unattached
    Feb - Leicester sack Ranieri, they promote his assistant Shakespeare
    Mar - Boro sack Karanka, they promote his assistant Agnew
    September - Palace sack De Boer, they hire Hodgson who was unattached
    October - Leicester sack Shakespeare, they hire Puel who was unattached
    Hull went down.
    Boro went down.
    Palace have 4 points.
    Puel was harshly sacked after finishing 8th and getting Southampton to a league cup final.

None of these were promised by the owners that we are going to the 'next level'

Moyes had a 28% win percentage at Real Sociedad. Relegated Sunderland with 28 defeats in 43 games.

Keep trying to justify the owners actions all you want. But they are full of 'rubbish' and have told lie after lie
  • edited November 2017
    Mid term changes in Premier League 2016

Jan - Swansea hire Guidolin who was unattached (Monk was sacked in December)
    Mar - Newcastle sack McLaren, they hire Benitez who was unattached
    Mar - Villa sack Garde, they promote first team coach Black
    Oct - Swansea sack Guidolin, they hire Bradley from Le Harve (Ligue 2)
    Dec - Palace sack Pardew, they hire Allardyce who was unattached
    Dec - Swansea sack Bradley, they hire Clement, assistant manager at Bayern Munich

So in the last two years only one Premier League manager has been signed mid season from another club (two if you include Paul Clement) and few can be described as "sexy" (Rafa, maybe Silva and Puel)

None of these were promised by the owners that we are going to the 'next level'

Moyes had a 28% win percentage at Real Sociedad. Relegated Sunderland with 28 defeats in 43 games.

Keep trying to justify the owners actions all you want. But they are full of 'rubbish' and have told lie after lie

I think my record shows that I have been critical of the current owners since they took over and started to undermine Zola in the media.
  • I can't actually believe we're going to be appointing Moyes, laughing stock

This would be more or less a laughing stock than Man Utd, Real Sociedad and Sunderland?

I don't want the bloke, but to go on like he is Billy Blunder who once managed his son's Cubs 4th team is OTT, imo.
  • Twist

Keep trying to rubbish the owners all you want by telling lie after lie.
  • This would be more or less a laughing stock than Man Utd, Real Sociedad and Sunderland?

I think Sunderland are the perfect example of a laughing stock, as it happens. And if he takes over we'll end up going the same way...

• horsham

Were they a laughing stock for appointing Moyes at the time?

I don't remember that.

(Separate to the fact that the club had been in a tail-spin for a long time.)
  • edited November 2017
    If Moyes is appointed IMO it wil be an even more unpopular choice with fans than bfs ...when he was appointed..
    Only time will tell I guess...
  • Asleef, wasn't aimed at you ;ok
  • Twist

Keep trying to rubbish the owners all you want by telling lie after lie.

Me telling lies? Wow.
  • horsham

Were they a laughing stock for appointing Moyes at the time?

I don't remember that.

(Separate to the fact that the club had been in a tail-spin for a long time.)

They were, yes. Moyes has been a busted flush ever since he left Everton. Left every club in a worse state than when he found it.
  • horsham

Not asking your opinion, asking if that was the perception. Didn't seem it to me.

Twist

You constantly make assertions about the owners that either have no basis in fact, or which have been shown to be false.

You seem to be immune to facts when it comes to them.
  • Oh yes it was me who said:

- the seats would be the same distancedistance away from the pitch at the new stadium

- our fixtures would take priority over anything. (3 away games to start the season because of athletics)

- the seats would be claret + blue

- the retractable seating will be on the running track

Yet I'm the one who tells lies? Me, a fan?
This discussion has been closed.